Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building  (Read 14402 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2006, 03:39:16 am »

Among my German friends (not my friends that are German, but my friends with whom I have studied German) the term 'sturm and drang' has become a euphemism for sweaty and violent sex, especially when talking about the gay guy of the group and his on/off-again and slightly abusive boyfriend.  So basically this sentence is hot.

Man. See, my Platonic sturm und drang also involved a gay guy, except in this case he was throwing a bottle at my door (which my then-roommate proceeded to forgive him for and bitch out me for getting upset about). And then, after my roommate moved out, he was writing weird, angry fat jokes on my whiteboard for the rest of the year. And yelling at me to SHUT THE FUCK UP every time I sang (at a reasonable volume) in my room. So really, the representative adjective here was less "gay" and more "psychotic," although both apply.

If I ever meet this man again, I'm killing him with my bare hands. Just so people know.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2006, 06:04:02 am »

Does Wagner usually accompany the "sturm und drang"?
Logged

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2006, 09:14:38 am »

Man. See, my Platonic sturm und drang also involved a gay guy, except in this case he was throwing a bottle at my door (which my then-roommate proceeded to forgive him for and bitch out me for getting upset about). And then, after my roommate moved out, he was writing weird, angry fat jokes on my whiteboard for the rest of the year. And yelling at me to SHUT THE FUCK UP every time I sang (at a reasonable volume) in my room. So really, the representative adjective here was less "gay" and more "psychotic," although both apply.

If I ever meet this man again, I'm killing him with my bare hands. Just so people know.

What a completely crap dude. I imagine his voice cracked with emotion as he yelled at you. Sorry you had to deal with that and good luck spinning a beer through his head and/or ripping off his torso. Then again, he seems like the type whos brain might dissolve in it's own hopelessly wacky mind-juices.

I tend to be loud for recording and performing music. I do it at reasonable times or with consent sought from neighbors. I've been fortunate to have some understanding/not present roommates and neighbors. I wonder how they'll react to me yelling 'WOOOO JACKIN' OFF!' ? Misterqueue, that story truly inspired. I'll be sharing it with my friends as well as copping the phrase (do you take cheques, sir).
Logged
I am older now.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2006, 12:05:54 pm »

I wonder how they'll react to me yelling 'WOOOO JACKIN' OFF!' ? Misterqueue, that story truly inspired. I'll be sharing it with my friends as well as copping the phrase (do you take cheques, sir).

You're quite welcome to it sir.  Chequeues are just fine, as is Scotch.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2006, 03:52:22 pm »

Oh my god.  I just realized that I've never told anyone here the story of my downstairs neighbor in my first apartment.  I can't believe that here, where I tell so many stories, that I've somehow managed to not tell it, because I tell it to everyone.  It is the best of my stories, but it's usually told orally, so it's sort of interesting to write it down.  Here we go.

Okay.

I was 21, and I had had enough of taking care of my mom.  For those of you who don't know, my mom has mental health issues.  Now my dad, who generally can't take my mom, but for whatever reason stays married to her, regularly took jobs outside the city so that he would leave while my mom would be left with me.  I hated living at home and was definitely too young and too emotionally entangled to help the situation in anyway.  It really sucked, it made me angry, etc.  So I was genearally unhappy with my living situation, when magically, poof, I won a very large award for a play I had written - large enough that I could get my own place and live off of it for a year while attending university.  Conveniently my dad's job as a principal at some remote school also ended, so he had come home, and my mom would not be alone.  So I found a place.  And with my usual style and moxie, I found a wonderful one-bedroom, with a nice eat in kitchen, hardwood floors, and these cool rounded arch doorways.  I had the whole parking pad in the back to myself for my lovely refinished 1974 Comet.  It was a house on a dead end street, in a questionable neighborhood, but walking distance from the university, so it fit really well.  All utilities were included, which really helped with the budgeting.  Also, because of the age of the house, it had an old biffy off the living room that had been converted to a curved-roofed walk-in closet thing-y, which was entirely painted a very dark brown and looked exactly like a cave.  I called it my "man cave" as I indended on eventually setting up some bars and trapping a sex slave in there.  People would just come over to see the cave, and I even had a cave party at one point. 

Anyway, I found this lovely apartment, which was actually the second floor of a house.  On the main floor lived a single man, who was a very polite, openly gay man, whose son visited him, but rarely stayed long.  He was a quiet man, and also so painfully thin that he looked like he was made of sinew.  (I mentioned in another thread, how to my amazement when I was moving in, he carried my fold-out sofa bed couch up my curved staircase by himself.  I was amazed that a man so thin was so strong.)  The house next door was an obvious drug house with dozens of guys coming in and out at all hours of the night, but I just ignored them, and they ignored me, and all was well.

So time went by, and my quiet upstairs neighbor and I lived our separate lives, nodding politely to each other, exchanging occasional pleasantries.  I remember one day, that as I was putting my shoes on on my landing area (the only part of my apartment on the first floor), that I heard him softly weeping to himself.  I felt sad for him, thought about knocking on his door, and then thought better of it.  We only knew each other's first names, and I thought that I wouldn't want him knocking on my door if I was all blubbery.

Skip to a Saturday in summer.  I'm getting ready to go over to my too-cool-for-life-friends' apartment.  I always feel the pressure to be ultra hip when I hang with the gay boys, and these were my three gay-est friends.  I was in my bathroom, which had a window over the back yard (where my lovely Comet was parked), but since it was summer, the tree in the backyard had grown lush green leaves, so all I could see when I looked out was the green canopy of the tree.  I had the window opened, and it was a nice day.  I was standing over the sink, fixing myself up, when I heard voices in the area below, directly where my car was parked.  Young male voices:

"Get more on it."
"Shh!  Quiet!"
"Go and watch to see if anyone's coming!"
"Is she home?
"I don't know."
"Hurry up!"

So I instantly think that the drug dealers next door are doing something to my car - stealing it, vandalizing it - something.  I have a lot of thoughts all at once:  it's my fault for choosing such a bad neighborhood.  I wont have time to catch them in the act if I call the cops.  I love my very cool car and don't want it vandalized.  I have no idea what, but clearly they are doing something!  I decide that I will casually go take a look, as though I have no idea that anything's going on.  I realize that if they are indeed messing with my car, that I will need to see them doing it, then quickly get away.  Conveniently I have my mountain bike on the inner landing.  I grab my bike, put on my bike helmet (I remember thinking this will somehow protect me if I'm assaulted), and duck outside and around the corner.  What I come face to face with is so outside of anything I could possibly prepair myself for that my brain actually stops working.

I turn the corner into the narrow passage way between my place and the drug house next door, and I come face to face with Diana Ross in full make-up and a sequined gown.  Then I realize that, no, it is not Diana Ross, but a man dressed up to look like a glamorous woman.  Then I realize that it is my quiet downstairs neighbor, dressed as a glamorous woman.  We both stand staring at each other, unsure what to say.

I blurt out "I wish I looked that good in a dress."  We continue to stand staring at each other befuddled in the tiny passage way between the two houses.  I realize I too must look silly with my bike helmet on, and with my bike with me, there is no way for either of us to pass.

Then his friend, with a camera around his neck, comes tearing around the corner.  Followed by a couple tarted-up shirtless man-sluts in short shorts.  "We were just taking pictures because he's compeating in Ms. Club 200.  We were posing on your car."  (Club 200 is a local trashy gay bar)

Me: "Oh..."

My neighbor: "I'm sorry.  I know we should have asked..."

Me: "Oh, no, don't worry about it.  Take all the pictures you want."

Photographer: "Thanks."

Me:  "Good luck.  Let me know if you win!"  And off I rode on my bike. 

I went straight to my friends' apartment, peddling really hard because I couldn't wait to tell them what had just transpired.  I get there all out of breath.  I tell them the story.  "I though my car was getting vandalized, but it was really just Diana Ross in drag!"  My friends are totally too cool for this - they can't possibly be enthusiastic.  One of them responds, dripping with ennui "You should have asked for a copy of the picture."  I'm confused, because I'm so elated, but my friends are so disinterested.  "Don't you get it?  I thought my car was going to be destroyed, but it was my neighbor dressed as a women doing a photo shoot on my hood!"  No one is excited about it but me.  I've gone on to tell many other people this story, and unlike these guys, they too are amazed.  I still love that this happened to me - it taught me an important lesson about what I expect and what might actually happen.  Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.

From that point on, I never really saw much of my neighbor.  I tried really hard to be kind to him when I saw him.  He continued to be very quiet, but our paths crossed less and less.  I heard him crying once or twice again after that.  I heard him puking and coughing, but I didn't really think much of it.  He got sick, and then he moved out, and two men who knew him only vaguely moved in.  They invited me over for beer, and I got to see the place from the inside for the first time.  The two of them were a couple and they had decorated the basement by nailing stuffed animals to every bare inch of the wall even though they had no children.  It was creepy and I worried that they wanted to murder me down there, so I got out really quickly.  Later one of the men decided to become a woman, and there was a lot of terrible fighting, police coming on domestic abuse charges several times, and some really scary drug-fueled middle-of-the-week all-night parties - all happening just below me.  I moved out, and on my second to last day in the apartment, George, who had become Georgina, apologized to me for all the noise - it was too little too late. 

Just last year, I read in the paper that my quiet downstairs neighbor died of AIDS after years as an advocate of the cause, and that his son had also died, less than a year before him.  I was sad to hear it, and impressed to read about the rich interior life of this quiet neighbor who I knew so little about.

I could tell you lots of stories about other neighbors who were far more annoying, or whose sex-lives I had to experience directly, or about the girl who worked at the equine race track and the smell of manure that invaded everything, but this is really the best story I could tell in regard to apartment living.  Because when you live in an apartment, the lives of your neighbors is always mysterious, and yet you get the odd little snapshots of other people's lives.  It's very interesting.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 07:55:36 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2006, 04:46:01 pm »

Thank you Mel for the wonderful story.  As always you provide the best stories.  I totally love your outlook.  I too have had experiences that I thought were amazing, yet when I relate it to others they either just don't get it or are too cool to care.  If I encountered a Diana Ross drag Queen posing on my car I would probably consider it the highlight of the week.

BTW, that must have been a cool car if Diana wanted to sit on it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2006, 05:00:55 pm »

Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.

Words to live by.  Thanks, Smells.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2006, 05:04:45 pm »

  If I encountered a Diana Ross drag Queen posing on my car I would probably consider it the highlight of the week.

And we'd get a picture!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2006, 05:07:08 pm »

Did you start a Most Interesting Life Contest with Hemmingway or something? You're like a David Foster Wallace character. Non-standard family, odd yet entertaining shit beyond your control happening all around you, interesting nickname. If only you came with footnotes.
Logged

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2006, 07:27:44 pm »

Oh side_show! That was a fantastic story! :applauds insanely: I would have also loved that happening to me and instantly called everyone I knew to tell them the hilarity. And I don't know who these "friends" are, but they just can't be so crazy as to not appreciate a story like that! It's just to fabulous! FAB I SAY!

I just keep reading parts over and over again...it makes me giggle.

I want to take your "Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen." quote and use it...cash or credit? ;)
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2006, 07:59:21 pm »

Once again, side_show, your story is a delight. I think I need to get a sticker reading "Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen" and stick it on my mirror to help me through graduate school.

Also...

(I mentioned in another thread, how to my amazement when I was moving in, he carried my fold-out sofa bed couch up my curved staircase by himself.  I was amazed that a man so thin was so strong.)

Man, it's always the thin guys, isn't it? When I was moving into my current dorm room, a friend of mine (and recent alumnus) was on campus to visit. This guy was a stereotypical nerd, with the general physique of a praying mantis... and then, without warning beyond "you need help with that?", he whips off his shirt, picks up my half-a-fridge, and gets the thing up the stairs on his own. I spent the entire time going "daamn" and "look, I can get one end of it, it's cool..." These days, I just sort of assume that stringy guys are probably secretly kung-fu masters trained at carrying many times their own body weight, although of course I'll take an end of the furniture if not specifically told not to.

* By which I mean one of those mini/micro-fridges that really isn't "mini" or "micro" anymore, in that you could pretty comfortably fit a Thanksgiving turkey in there and still be able to use the side shelves. It's not, like, a normal fridge comically cut in half or anything.
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2006, 08:16:04 pm »

Side Show, great story! Your worlds paint a picture like no other, have you considered a nickname change to slide show? I just wish more interesting and story worthy stuff happened to me. My life is so boring. Is it just me or have you been absent for some time? Seeing your avatar made me say "oh, damn it's side show. I haven't heard from her in a while."

Man, it's always the thin guys, isn't it? When I was moving into my current dorm room, a friend of mine (and recent alumnus) was on campus to visit. This guy was a stereotypical nerd, with the general physique of a praying mantis... and then, without warning beyond "you need help with that?", he whips off his shirt, picks up my half-a-fridge, and gets the thing up the stairs on his own. I spent the entire time going "daamn" and "look, I can get one end of it, it's cool..." These days, I just sort of assume that stringy guys are probably secretly kung-fu masters trained at carrying many times their own body weight, although of course I'll take an end of the furniture if not specifically told not to.

V you don't know how right you are. I'm only telling touamb this because there is love in the air so keep it hush hush. I am part of a secret group of especially skinny men called BOS (Beyond Ordinary Strength). I can't give out all the details but you pretty much hit the main point. We're really skinny, we don't come off as macho, most of us know kung-fu (although others train in demolition and weaponry) and we tend not to boast. We're there to help when help is needed most and there is no one else to turn to. You all probably know a member, but because of our secretiveness we don't help unless it's needed. Most of the time other people will step in to show off their might, hense the "tend not to boast" bit. We don't mind, if they want to do it that's cool. Yeah, it's an interesting life, but I'm not supposed to talk about it much, so don't go telling all your friends.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2006, 08:19:22 pm »

Side show has been sick.  Are you feeling better now Mel?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2006, 08:26:01 pm »

Gee all, thanks.  It's very nice to hear words of kindness in my current state.  It's really one of my favorite memories of my coming of age, and actually a pretty pivotal moment in my personal shaping as a human being.  I grew to understand that that the begnine is the profound.

sunnystar - take the quote, I'd be honoured.  Just remember me when you're handing out tiny sodas.

Cort - when it comes to life experience I started out early:  with my family, I had to be an "adult" by the time I was 11, so that's why I've got such a long catalog. My life's not all the interesting, I've just built up the ability to be fascinated by the everyday, and to collect and store these stories in my head, but thank you.

Paul - The car was indeed a sweet ride.   This is basically what it looked like. It was indeed orange, it did not have the spoiler on the hood, and did not have a white stripe.  My Comet was named Bethel, and I loved to drive her.  She was totaled due to undercarriage rust, but was totally refinished otherwise.  My dad used to teach autobody repair, hence why I was in such wonderful shape.  Now just imagine it with two man-whores in short-shorts and Diana Ross posing on it's hood.  (Also, no I am still quite ill, and spent a good deal of the day yesterday either crying or trying not to cry because I'd been to the doctor and seen a look of fear in his eyes.  I'm going in for a total head to toe on Friday morning, and I'm honestly pretty scared at this point, because I know something is wrong, and just don't know what.)
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Things You Shouldn't Do If You Live In An Apartment Building
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2006, 08:38:41 pm »

Side Show your miniature text is worrying! Now you need to keep us (me at least) updated. We care. I hope all goes well for you at the doctor's office and that he finds a quick, simple, painless cure for your sickness.

P.S. Comets are very cool looking cars in my opinion, you are cool for owning one. Even if it wasn't a GT model.
Also, not that it matters, but that opening on the hood is a hood scoop not a spoiler.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up