Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Beta test a humor thing?  (Read 5610 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

spinn

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
    • Scribs
Beta test a humor thing?
« on: February 08, 2006, 06:45:21 pm »

Hi, sorry to just crash in and ask for people to look at my stuff without having been in here already...but I have this humor thing I'm working on, and I'd prefer to first find some people that don't suck. I'm just sort of randomly assuming that Achewood fans are generally above internet-average on my personal humor scale.

So, I'm working on this thing where you can add captions to Japanese commercials. It's currently here (and probably will continue to be):

http://www.jackpendley.com/av1d/

Anyone can enter captions; registered users can vote. It's still not really complete so it might be rough in some places. In particular, I downloaded the scripts that handly user registration/login from somewhere and haven't bothered editing the text to bring it in with the site. I also haven't put any help text anywhere, though I'm pretty sure after a few minutes of clicking buttons n things you can figure out what's going on. There are other interfacey things I'm still working out, but any help or pointers or really funny captions would be appreciated.

It's kinda not really ready for prime time, so I'd like to request that you don't post it around anywhere. Plus, once it get out to the unwashed masses, my numbers are all gonna get skewed.
Logged
Jack Pendley's av1d - now on set 4  <-- oh man this is a link to a web site that died like three years ago

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Beta test a humor thing?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 06:49:20 pm »

Wait, are you the spinn of Scribs/amusing.org fame?
Logged

spinn

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
    • Scribs
Re: Beta test a humor thing?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 07:14:29 pm »

Um. Yes! Since you used "fame" there, I'll take it. Yes.

Logged
Jack Pendley's av1d - now on set 4  <-- oh man this is a link to a web site that died like three years ago

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Beta test a humor thing?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 07:24:30 pm »

The Spinn of the DFC?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

spinn

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
    • Scribs
Re: Beta test a humor thing?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 07:53:41 pm »

I'm that person too. I am surprised and happy that someone would even remember.

And apparently I'm also leaking Dr Pepper like a guy with a whole big bucket of Dr Pepper with a hole in it.

Logged
Jack Pendley's av1d - now on set 4  <-- oh man this is a link to a web site that died like three years ago

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Beta test a humor thing?
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 07:56:27 pm »

I could never forget the DFC.  I still miss it sometimes.  snif
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Beta test a humor thing?
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 07:59:03 pm »

OMG!  The DFC was so good.  *pours a 40 for my lost webpage homies*

Welcome Welcome, I will look at your humor thing later; from the homeplace.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Beta test a humor thing?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 08:32:43 pm »

OK, I'll bite. DFC?
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Beta test a humor thing?
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 08:42:21 pm »

Hi Spinn...

I know you must be enjoying the drooling fan boys, but I did actually try out/ sign up for the site.  As you can see from my captions for what I will call "Noodle pu$$y," (185 on the second page o' clips) I made a typo.  I think it would be great to allow your users to edit their captions.  It is otherwise a wonderful idea, and I will enjoy it much-ly.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 08:57:09 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Beta test a humor thing?
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 08:42:35 pm »

Dysfunctional Family Circus... it was truly a work of genius.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beta test a humor thing?
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 08:54:26 pm »

Ooohhh dear I could see obsessively watching every single one of these. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Beta test a humor thing?
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 09:26:54 pm »

Well I registered but I haven't made any yet. I like the idea, seems like it could be very funny.

Side Show yours was funny. I laughed out loud. But I surprised by its dirtiness. Not in a bad way, just surprised.


(woo, 100 posts and now of them were worthwhile!)
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beta test a humor thing?
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 09:32:11 pm »

I can't get Side_show's.  No matter how many times I reload I don't get a clip numbered higher than 184.  Am I a moron?  I mean more than usual?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

spinn

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
    • Scribs
Re: Beta test a humor thing?
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 10:12:56 pm »

Note that they're grouped in sets. I'm setting it up such that a given set can eventually be closed after all the useful funny's been sucked out of it. So 185 is presumably in the second set. (I also just added a "most recent 5" list to make this a little easier.)

Yeah, I will be working out editing/deleting at some point. I think I have to make it delete all votes for your entry when you edit it, so I'm not sure if that's good or bad. (someone gets voted down badly, makes small edit so it gets bumped back to zero. not sure if that's preferable.)


Though hey, while we're getting all chummy and all, check out Jack Pendley's portfolio while you're there.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 11:05:00 pm by spinn »
Logged
Jack Pendley's av1d - now on set 4  <-- oh man this is a link to a web site that died like three years ago
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up