Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People  (Read 11467 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 08:45:15 pm »

I don't think the idea of "he's good people" means that Beef is a great guy, you call him when you want to move your furniture around. It means he isn't a crap dude. I have a feeling that there are already alliances being made and Hot Dog Chef is telling the boys that Beef is alright, maybe "one of them".
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

thedudeabides85

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
  • Say good things about my dick
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 08:46:23 pm »

Don't forget the great meta-text: "This strip relies heavily on the Gossipy Hot Dog Chef archetype"

And I think the turkey item is a "turkey leg".
Logged

Biz Markizzle

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 08:46:52 pm »

Good cop bad cop.
The intent: Beef the Baptist, he is the gateway to get others to follow Ray.
The outcome:  People will ally with Ray out of fear, but once Ray is in a position to assume supremacy, people will go for Beef as an alternative.

Makes sense. So you think Beef's plan will backfire? It's hard to see this ending well for Ray, but Beef does really seem to know what he's doing. Also, Bobby, please try and end every post with the phrase "SYNTAX ERROR" -- sometimes that rheumatron post makes me laugh out of the blue when I'm doing such as driving home from work or brushing my teeth.

Logged
Even my superficial raps are super official.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 08:50:35 pm »

And I think the turkey item is a "turkey leg".

I dunno, I kinda hope it's the entire turkey like bonaparte said.  Like a leg is for Cape Wearin' Types, these guys eat the whole damn turkey.


And then maybe a nap?  Too much turkey and all that.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 08:51:26 pm »

I think I prefer not knowing what all the menu items are. Seriously, a "Tri-Tip?" Best to leave it a mystery.

Great strip, great setup. This storyline just keeps getting better and better... I'm waiting to see what comes of this Gossipy Hot Dog Chef interlude. Also, loving the weird, sketchy style on the building; it looks great and adds some real atmosphere.
Logged

Biz Markizzle

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 08:51:54 pm »

I don't think the idea of "he's good people" means that Beef is a great guy, you call him when you want to move your furniture around. It means he isn't a crap dude. I have a feeling that there are already alliances being made and Hot Dog Chef is telling the boys that Beef is alright, maybe "one of them".

I think it means he is a good guy. Ray is the dude who eats faces; Beef is the dude who leaves a generous tip despite bad service. Thankfully, I think the chance of us coming to blows over this disagreement is about .3%.

Logged
Even my superficial raps are super official.

thedudeabides85

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
  • Say good things about my dick
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2006, 08:55:48 pm »

Is it just my browser or is the chef's recollection of Rodney Stubbs considerably grainier/more stylized than the newspaper shot?  Then again, in 1973 everyone was probably fighting on acid.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2006, 08:56:33 pm »

I don't think the idea of "he's good people" means that Beef is a great guy, you call him when you want to move your furniture around. It means he isn't a crap dude. I have a feeling that there are already alliances being made and Hot Dog Chef is telling the boys that Beef is alright, maybe "one of them".

I think he's saying Beef is somebody you don't want to fuck with. He's good people so treat him nice. Unless you want bits of your head to know exactly what the digestive process feels like.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2006, 08:57:57 pm »

Makes sense. So you think Beef's plan will backfire? It's hard to see this ending well for Ray, but Beef does really seem to know what he's doing. Also, Bobby, please try and end every post with the phrase "SYNTAX ERROR" -- sometimes that rheumatron post makes me laugh out of the blue when I'm doing such as driving home from work or brushing my teeth.



I have changed my sig JUST FOR YOU.
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 09:01:28 pm »

I think it means he is a good guy. Ray is the dude who eats faces; Beef is the dude who leaves a generous tip despite bad service. Thankfully, I think the chance of us coming to blows over this disagreement is about .3%.

I tell you what. You blow me and we call it a day.

Also what did The Dude do to lose cans already? He only has, what, four posts? Man this is a harsh world.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

thedudeabides85

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
  • Say good things about my dick
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 09:07:31 pm »

I think I might lose more cans because apparently now the picture is no longer grainy, and I was the one having the acid flashback.
Logged

connorbd

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2006, 09:11:58 pm »

I'm surprised nobody is reading this as a backstab-in-progress by Beef. Seems to me what you have here is a case of pumping Ray up to make him a huge target while insuring that he has his own alliances to fall back on when the fight gets rolling.

BTW, a tritip is a West Coast beef roast made from the same cut usually used for making sirloin tips everywhere else in the US. Out here on the East Coast you can get them at Trader Joes... and that's about it really. Very nice cut for marinating and grill roasting.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2006, 09:20:16 pm »

I was thinking that Beef might be going the Sirens of Titan route where he makes it appear that Ray is The Man in Charge thus a target while Beef is secretly running the show.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2006, 09:33:45 pm »

BTW, a tritip is a West Coast beef roast made from the same cut usually used for making sirloin tips everywhere else in the US. Out here on the East Coast you can get them at Trader Joes... and that's about it really. Very nice cut for marinating and grill roasting.

Education.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2006, 09:53:27 pm »

i assumed "turkey" was wild turkey.

mmmmmhhhmmm.   turkey.

this is an amazing comic strip.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up