Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something amazing happened  (Read 1933 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Something amazing happened
« on: February 09, 2006, 05:56:57 am »

 A couple weeks ago I found an Episode 1 pinball machine at the movie theater. It got me on a big pinball kick and I started thinking about the great machines I played when I was younger. Creature from the Black Lagoon, Black Knight 2000, aaah yeah. I imagined what it would be like if I could play every day. A hunch lead me into the rec center at my school yesterday and a miracle happened. Nessled in the corner by the DDR spread was the monster itself: Bally's Creature from the Black Lagoon. I just about did a dance. I've dropped six bucks on it since then. I'm still learning the finer points of tilting the sides and smoothing the flippers. Does anyone have some hints for general pinball wizardry? Has anyone played this particular machine?
Logged
I am older now.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Something amazing happened
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 12:16:28 pm »

I have never experienced that particular machine, nor do I have any great pinball advice but I just wanted to share in the love of finding a loved pinball machine. I'll play them but my favourite (as tacky as it is) is this 'The Shadow' one at an arcade I frequent. It's just a basic pinball machine with a few noises, the ones with movies and holograms and too much of scrolling text and pictures on that little led array just bug me.

On the subject of finding old games, does anyone remember the big old Star wars arcade game that just has a joystick but you go through flying x-wings and fighting darth vader and all sorts of nonsense. I know it's probably not that old but you never see them any more so I treat finding one as being basically like treasure. This is what I'm thinking of.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Something amazing happened
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 12:47:24 pm »

There was a pinball thread here a while back, but I'll be damned!  I can't find it!  Oh wait, I'm a technotard and this sort of thing happens to me all the time.

Is it just me or does the search function not work as well as it did on the old board?

But yeah, pinball's great.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Something amazing happened
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 02:31:24 pm »

When I make my first Arbitrarily Large Amount of Money, I'm buying a pinball machine. If at all possible, I'm buying the Simpsons pinball machine, since it haunted the movie theater of my youth and I dropped way too many quarters into that machine.

Runner-up: Indiana Jones, because the one in the university game room when I was a middle-schooler had no tilt mechanism, thus opening the door to furious shenanigans. Good times.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Something amazing happened
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 02:43:14 pm »

There was a pinball thread here a while back, but I'll be damned!  I can't find it!

Because it was an off topic discussion in another thread that did some hella wandering.  It started here.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Something amazing happened
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 03:18:57 pm »

My SO, his buddy and I went to a pinball/arcade machine auction around a year ago.  It was outside of town at a place that usually auctions off damaged cars, and we'd only heard about it on a collage radio station, so we though it would not be that well attended.  We were all excited that we would be bringing home a machine.  We took in the viewing, and there were very few people there - all were guys and most seemed to be there for the few cars that were also being auctioned off, no one was all that interested in the games, and there were two of those table games - you know the ones that are a table, but also a game?  The table games were Tetris and Ms. Pac Man, but the Tetris one didn't work.  There were a lot of pinball machines, which was really exciting, and I really wanted one - I tested a few out and they mostly worked.  There was a super old one from the 70's - I can't remember the theme, but it was very cool.  So we waited and the auction started, and when the first game went up on the chopping block, it becamce very clear that there were some dealers in the room, because the same three guys were bidding on every machine.  We realized quite quickly that there was no point in sticking around, because the one guy just basically shouted out "three hundred!" when each machine came up, and was winning them all.  We were very disapointed and went home.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up