Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!  (Read 5477 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mr. Gary

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« on: February 13, 2006, 06:45:15 am »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02132006

Ray's Stubbs persona is amazing. Hat, expressions, and manner of speaking included.

"I see you been out pickin' up trash! Why you bring it back here?" Wicked. I love the hangers-on, especially the awkward-looking guy with an aviator's cap and the barcode-like tattoo. Ray's ranks are already swelling. Also, I like it that Beef, who is really the brains of the operation, is acting the good cop/the subservient sidekick.

Best arc. Best arc!

Also, the queue in front of the gate, with the skull (?) mounted on top is a nice touch.

EDIT: How did I not pick up on the fact that it was a Black Flag tattoo? Probably because I haven't got the straight edge.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 10:46:11 pm by Mr. Gary »
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 07:32:54 am »

The Black Flag tattoo was a nice touch.

Gotta say that this was underwhelming after the build-up. 

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 08:01:01 am »

Yeah, definitely a bit underwhelming. I'm not sure what to make of that ragtag group, especially the guy on the far left with the odd bulge in the bathing suit area.

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 08:02:07 am »

I don't really know why this thread is being used rather than the other, but whatever!

Shirts!

Strip's okay.
Logged

hoborg

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 09:53:29 am »

'cos this one has the correct thread title.

I don't know how much help those dudes are going to offer the son of Rodney, that looks like one ragtag bunch of cats. I just noticed melack already used the adjective "ragtag" but they are so ragtag it bears repeating.

Ragtag.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 12:09:26 pm »

dang.
I was hoping I'd be the first person to explain that that was a Black Flag tattoo.

I guess that dudes that like black flag are likely to: want to kill other men, or read comics about alive stuffed animals.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 12:26:00 pm »

I am confused by the fact that the guy on the far right appears to also be wearing a Chochacho medal. Does this indicate that I've been reading too much into this and it's just how Onstad draws all medallions? Also, the one in the aviator's helmet looks more like Beef than I am entirely comfortable with.

Loving this storyline, can't wait to see where it goes, &c. This is definitely giving Chris the opportunity to flex his artistic muscles.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 12:33:06 pm »

so, um.
I just had a Roast Beef moment. not in terms of sudden cleverness, but, in fact, in terms of sarcastically criticizing something until it enraged a lady.
it was knitting. which makes it even better.

also: I, too, am worried about the prowess of the Ragtaggers.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 01:16:26 pm »

My favorite part is Ray making up the parts of the Stubbs mystique that he doesn't know. "You know a Stubbs can't go back on his word!" Hell, for all he knows, R.L. lied to every man he ever met. And twice to the ones he met at the GOF. Lie #1 was probably "Stick with me, and I won't kill you." Lie #2 was probably, "Well, not until the third day, at least."
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 01:36:04 pm »

I don't have too many insights other than the fact that the skull over the gate is the same skull seen talking to Cornelius here.

This has been our OCD comic fan moment of the day.  I hope you have enjoyed it.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 01:52:43 pm »

The guy 2nd from the left is straight out of the last 2 El Mariachi movies. I bet he's covered in throwing knives.

The guy on the right clearly has a replica medallion designed to look just like the one Stubbs wore. You can get it out of those Highlander/Xena catalogues you see advertised on WGN.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 02:03:35 pm »

Do we think that this whole bit was planned in advance to give Ray an excuse to have a posse but still be hard?
I mean Ray doesn't wake that quickly and he had the hat ready to go as soon as he woke up. Plus the turn around from total rejection to begrudging acceptance seems a lot faster than if he really wanted to stand alone.

Cort: I am guessing you mean Danny Trejo's characters? I had a similar Robert Rodriguez related idea, it is my belief that that fellow is 'Sex Machine' from From dusk till dawn.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 02:09:25 pm »


I guess that dudes that like black flag are likely to: want to kill other men, or read comics about alive stuffed animals.


... or write them.


DANG.  you might think Ray's fuck*ng shit up, but it is The Plan.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 02:39:32 pm »

Cort: I am guessing you mean Danny Trejo's characters? I had a similar Robert Rodriguez related idea, it is my belief that that fellow is 'Sex Machine' from From dusk till dawn.

Yeah, him. It's the vest and mustache
Logged

jcreed

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
    • http://jcreed.org
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 03:28:24 pm »

Do we think that this whole bit was planned in advance to give Ray an excuse to have a posse but still be hard?
I mean Ray doesn't wake that quickly and he had the hat ready to go as soon as he woke up. Plus the turn around from total rejection to begrudging acceptance seems a lot faster than if he really wanted to stand alone.

Yeah, everything Ray says has the smell of Beef having said okay Ray here is what you do when I give you the signal which will be "shake a leg" all over it. Now I'm just waiting for Ray to somehow take tactical advantage of his new reputation for unswerving promise-fidelity. I don't really know how that could work, but surely Onstad can come up with something. "I'm kicking your ass, because you know a Stubbs can't go back on his word."
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up