Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT  (Read 12415 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2006, 04:03:04 pm »

Those of you who have played either Age of Empires or Command and Conquer: Red Alert... admit it - you've staged Great Outdoor Fights before.

I have seen many computers go down under the weight of eight AOE2 combatants with a 200 population limit building 20 villagers and 180 met-at-arms and sending them all into battle at once.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2006, 05:33:52 pm »

Actually, there's a college near here who does something like this as a big event, every fall semester: "DeathFest," where they generate a stupidly large number of D&D characters, put them in a big pile, and have people take random characters and slugfest it out, with each player pulling a new character from the pile when their old one gets killed. Last man standing wins. No word on whether there's a barbed-wire-and-skulls enclosure for it, though.

What college might that be?

My first thought is MIT.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2006, 05:35:40 pm »

Those of you who have played either Age of Empires or Command and Conquer: Red Alert... admit it - you've staged Great Outdoor Fights before.

I have seen many computers go down under the weight of eight AOE2 combatants with a 200 population limit building 20 villagers and 180 met-at-arms and sending them all into battle at once.

Tank rush, bitches!

Actually the best way to simulate this would probably be with a mix of 2,990 GI's, Conscripts, and Psi Infantry and 10 Tanyas. The problem would be getting them to in-fight because I think you're only allowed 8 teams at once.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2006, 05:42:01 pm »

Hrm, 1,000 zerglings + 1,000 Marines + 1,000 zealots = Crazy Delicious!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2006, 09:40:17 pm »

What college might that be?

My first thought is MIT.

Hampshire, actually. I was told about this event while sitting on a beaten-down couch in a huge, incongruously hippie/industrial common room, talking with friends-of-friends who were brainstorming for their a capella group. At least three of them appeared to be stoned. I've been lead to understand that I had the quintessential Hampshire Experience.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2006, 12:49:06 am »

Hrm, 1,000 zerglings + 1,000 Marines + 1,000 zealots = Crazy Delicious!

If I had tiny cans, they'd be yours right now However my jizzfest scenario would involve siege tanks and dragoons.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 12:53:15 am by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2006, 03:15:24 am »

There's a certain point where weaponry too drastically changes the fight. If it was my thing, I would say only bladed, pointed or blunt weapons and with those, no more than 36" including the handle.


It seems a lot like no one brought weapons, except that one cat with the metal pipe. I think that since the fight is essentially for honor, the only weapons you can bring are ones you would not be ashamed to win the fight with. I imagine that there are some dangerous types involved in the fight and it does not seem that there are any genuine rules. I wonder if they eventually build a thunderdome somewhere on the battleground and begin strapping random objects to themselves as is the traditional behavior of post apocalyptic warriors.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2006, 03:35:31 am »

Nice to see you, Doomglobe.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

sOOp

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: February 14, 2006 - These men think three dollars is a good price for wine.
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2006, 05:19:35 am »



The strategy begins, but I am distracted by the cat trying to best his foe by mooning him in the lower part of panel 8.


It appears to be one of those new age fighting styles. He wont last long.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2006, 12:54:08 pm »

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2006, 05:29:02 pm »

Hampshire, actually. I was told about this event while sitting on a beaten-down couch in a huge, incongruously hippie/industrial common room, talking with friends-of-friends who were brainstorming for their a capella group. At least three of them appeared to be stoned. I've been lead to understand that I had the quintessential Hampshire Experience.

Hampshire, eh?  I feel as if I should have known that they host such an event, considering I am part of a Consortium with them. 

And yes, that was, in fact, a representative Hampshire visit.  The only thing needed to complete it is an unwashed, dreadlocked, substance-laden orgy.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2006, 06:06:29 pm »

It seems a lot like no one brought weapons, except that one cat with the metal pipe. I think that since the fight is essentially for honor, the only weapons you can bring are ones you would not be ashamed to win the fight with. I imagine that there are some dangerous types involved in the fight and it does not seem that there are any genuine rules. I wonder if they eventually build a thunderdome somewhere on the battleground and begin strapping random objects to themselves as is the traditional behavior of post apocalyptic warriors.

I don't think you can bring in weapons.  Rather, there is a certain amount of junk lying around the Meadows, and if you can utilize any of it to your advantage, more power to ya.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: February 14, 2006 -- NORTHEAST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT STEP ON IT
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2006, 09:34:29 pm »

I am pretty sure there are no rules except for 3000 men enter, one man leaves. Bust a deal, face the wheel.
But no way to tell, Onstad hasn't gotten into the rules. All we have to go on is that one picture of the dude with the pipe, and that isn't much. Maybe we should start a thread where we try to figure out the rules of the fight.


Nice to see you, Doomglobe.


Seconded!

Well nice to see you two again also!
Logged
[expletive deleted]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up