Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt  (Read 4329 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

filas

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
    • View Profile
I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« on: February 14, 2006, 07:17:12 am »

DANISH CARTOON OFFENDS CARTOONIST

Onstad announced a boycott of danish products today, after a danish cartoonist depicted the logo of his own strip.  presumably a connoisseur, it has been reported Onstad has sworn off Smørbrød, Bløtkake, and Helstekt lammelår.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 07:25:16 am »

For when the link goes off the main Achewood.com page:

http://www.start.no/tegneserier/m/?1139785200

talgkjertel

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 11:09:32 am »

For the record: M is a norwegian comic.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 12:22:51 pm »

Can anyone translate?  Yes, I'm looking at you, Mr. Talgkjertel.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefox

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 76
    • View Profile
Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 02:28:06 pm »

Can anyone translate?  Yes, I'm looking at you, Mr. Talgkjertel.

Oui, oui! Second request for translating!
Methinks the comic probably has little to do with Achewood, but that's awesome. The author must understand English and enjoy alive stuffed animals.
Logged

talgkjertel

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 02:34:18 pm »

M is full of references to movies, music, comics and Star Wars.
This particular strip has nothing to do with Achewood.

Edit: I'm gone for an hour, but I can translate it when I get back.
Logged

Biz Markizzle

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 05:40:32 pm »

Okay, so, I don't speak no Norwegian (and honestly, NOBODY does), but I made a half-hearted effort to translate the comic. Keep in mind this is an intentionally silly translation from someone who does not speak the language and did not try very hard to figure out the parts that did not translate easily (ie, I only used one dictionary). But perhaps someone can take this and figure it out further.

With that said, it seems to be a comic about a dude (the achewood shirt dude) who is complaining about how demanding his girlfriend and/or aunt is. So it is a strip about Valentine's Day, I guess.

So, first panel: "Is she going to visit again?! Argh!"

Second panel: "She will simply come to demand herbal tea and ice cream and chocolate!"

Third panel: Guy: "I hate Aunt Red." (Biz'ness note: perhaps aunt red is like a CODE for Valentine's Day, or I translated "tante" wrong. Otherwise, hello incest, it is nice to meet you on this fine holiday.)
                 Girl: "…and teddy bears and a romantic comedy with Hugh Grant!"

Fourth panel (this was the toughest): "...and she simply sneaks herself outside and lays down again on a flap: 'see you again in a few weeks'."
                                                   "ON THE DOUBLE!"

You heard me, TOUAMB, in this torrid story of incest, Aunt Red lays down on a flap.

Logged
Even my superficial raps are super official.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 05:44:37 pm »



Third panel: Guy: "I hate Aunt Red." (Biz'ness note: perhaps aunt red is like a CODE for Valentine's Day, or I translated "tante" wrong. Otherwise, hello incest, it is nice to meet you on this fine holiday.)
                 Girl: "…and teddy bears and a romantic comedy with Hugh Grant!"


You heard me, TOUAMB, in this torrid story of incest, Aunt Red lays down on a flap.



Or perhaps Aunt Red is related to Aunt Flow.


That brings a whole other set of possibilities.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Biz Markizzle

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 05:45:18 pm »

Please keep in mind that no matter what talgkjertel tries to tell you when he translates this: there are no movies, music, or star wars in this comic. That is a dirty lie meant to cover up the incest.
Logged
Even my superficial raps are super official.

talgkjertel

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 05:49:30 pm »

Aunt Red is a term for when a lady has her menustration.
Other than that, you did a fine job of translating.

Oh, and legger igjen en lapp = leaves a (post-it) note.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 06:00:22 pm by talgkjertel »
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 05:52:21 pm »

Aunt Red is a term for when a lady has her menustration.

Score one for me! 
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Biz Markizzle

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 06:06:03 pm »

Aunt Red is a term for when a lady has her menustration.
Other than that, you did a fine job of translating.

Oh, and legger igjen en lapp = leaves a (post-it) note.

Ah, yes, that makes much more sense than laying down on a flap. And I am glad to hear (I suppose) that it is about menstruation and not incest. Thanks for the clarifications.

And indeed nice pick-up M.quizzle. I was too focused on Valentine's Day day to see the truth but you were like "no definitely blood beagle."

Logged
Even my superficial raps are super official.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 06:48:18 am »

If you like that shirt, you'll love these shirts.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 12:26:23 am »

If you like that shirt, you'll love these shirts.

Shameless pimpage! But since it's you, Jough, I'll let it slide. This time.

Please don't kill me.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I don't know what this means, but I like his shirt
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 06:19:11 am »

Yeah, I'm pimpin' the shirts, nationwide, pretty hard.  But the shirts are new and I'm having more fun with this project than I've had in years doing other things, so I'll ride the high a little longer.  Tomorrow I send out 100 free shirts to editors at various hipster magazines and alt presses to get some play.  The radio show about our Sen. Rick Santorum stunt got us a bunch of sales, so things are looking good.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up