Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Do baseball fans exist?  (Read 9319 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Do baseball fans exist?
« on: February 16, 2006, 01:46:21 pm »

Spring training is about to begin.  May I ask whom is your team?

At the risk of having my cans wiped out:  I am a Yankee fan.
Logged
ACHIEVE

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 02:03:32 pm »

I would wipe out your cans, but we're in different leagues, so it's basically OK.

I am a Cardinals fan.

Unfortunately, I'm moving to Seattle in a few months, and I don't know what to do then - it's not even an NL town.  Do I have to be a Mariners fan?  That'd be tough.

For now, Cardinals all the way.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 03:08:39 pm »

I am also a Cardinals fan.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 03:14:30 pm »

I don't really like baseball but I go to school in Cincinnati and I live in the Cleveland area during the summer. So I guess I have the Reds and the Indians to look forward too. Boy, I sure am lucky.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 04:53:49 pm »

Baseball is the one team sport that I can't seem to shake.  I just love it.  No matter how horrible the players and owners act or how they try to change the game to make it more "appealing to younger fans" i.e juiced balls, or how cities that can barely afford to pay for basic services to their citizens continue to fork over billions for (so called) better stadiums, I just can't seem to get over baseball like I have Football and basketball.  The Astros going to the World Series (despite being spanked in 4 games) was a totally exciting experience.  One of my biggest disapointments about not getting to go to Florida is I thought I was going to be able to fulfill my dream of watching some spring training games.

Astros Fan, Nolan Ryan, Milo Hamilton, the Astrodome, Mike Scott, J. R. Richard...

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 06:31:33 pm »

I hold a 20-game ticket plan for the Montreal Expos Washington Nationals.  However, I have been a fan of the Phillies since I was 6, and it's been hard to give up that attachment.  It's a difficult row to hoe, given that the Nats and the Phils are in the same division and play each other all the damn time.

I've been to a lot of Orioles games over the years, but after his repeated (and now failed) attempts to bring a team to Washington, Peter Angelos can suck it.

I have been to more major league ballparks than you.  Twenty-four of them.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 06:48:32 pm »

I have been to more major league ballparks than you.  Twenty-four of them.

I've been to three.  Two of those are no longer in service as MLB parks.  One has been demolished.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 07:05:31 pm »

I've been to old and new Cleveland, old and new Comiskey, Wrigley, Orioles, Yankee Stadium, and minor league parks in Columbus and Akron.

And I love baseball, the game. I try not to think about the business behind it but it's sure fun to watch from the stands.

It's also for my money the only sport you can really appreciate on the radio.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 07:09:29 pm »

It's also for my money the only sport you can really appreciate on the radio.

Yes exactly.  A great deal of my enjoyment of major league baseball stems from listening to Milo Hamilton on the radio turning the game into poetry.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 07:20:33 pm »

Yes, the radio is a big reason - baseball on radio is nearly as good as baseball at the stadium.  Well, no, it's not, but it's far better than radio football v. actual football.  Unfortunately, the Cardinals changed their St. Louis AM affiiliate to some crappy station full of shock radio and garbage from KMOX, who'd been broadcasting Cardinals ball for like 30 years - but we keep the same broadcasters, so it shouldn't be that bad.  Unfortunately, those broadcasters anymore are Al Hrabosky and Mike Shannon, neither or whom hold a candle to the late, great Jack Buck.

I can't believe I just had the "old baseball radio was better than current baseball radio" rant before even graduating from college.  Excuse me, I need to go drink irresponsibly while just barely staying enrolled in school for a few months in order to correct this imbalance.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 07:26:08 pm »

I subscribe to MLB.com's all-radio-feeds service very season, if for no other reason than to listen to Vin Scully when the Nats or Phils play the Dodgers.

I am hoping to wrangle my employer into sending me to a conference in Denver this summer, so's I can go to a Rockies game.  If that falls through, I will probably get my new ballpark this year by going to the new one in St. Louis. 
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

FutureDeadPerson

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 16
  • ARBLE GABBLE GOBBLE GREEBLE
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 07:28:18 pm »

Luckily for me, I'm a fan of the Brewers.  I get to listen to Hall of Famer Bob Uecker on the radio.  And of course the best time of the year to listen to Mr. Baseball is Spring Training when the games don't count and the players don't give a damn.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 07:42:25 pm »

I am hoping to wrangle my employer into sending me to a conference in Denver this summer, so's I can go to a Rockies game.

Oh shit yeah, i'll meet you there.  Denver is the closest big city to where i'll be staying in Utah.  Road trippin'.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 11:51:07 pm »

GO CARDS!

I blame Alex...

except now I really love baseball and watching the Cards win or lose and going to games...new Busch stadium, here I come!
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

Biz Markizzle

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 12:54:32 am »

I'm an insane, obsessive Red Sox fan, since birth. When they won the world series, I cried.

Beat that, bitches!

Love
Biz
Logged
Even my superficial raps are super official.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up