Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Do baseball fans exist?  (Read 9317 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 01:58:31 am »

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 04:53:06 am »

Salt Lake is an OK city, but it would be much better if it had a MLB team.  I just can't get into the NBA enough to shell out the money for a Jazz game.  I haven't been in years.  Although we do have a minor league time with a nice stadium, and that's cheap and fun.

Anyway, I'm a Mariners and a Mets fan.  I grew up in Seattle, hence the Mariners.  I've been a Mets fan since 1986.  It was my first World Series, and it was thrilling to my young mind.  This year I'm going to a Mets game for the first time (they played in Seattle when I was home last summer, but I didn't go.  Long story).  Especially cool because this is the 20th anniversary of the '86 series.

Also, boo Yankees.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

FutureDeadPerson

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 16
  • ARBLE GABBLE GOBBLE GREEBLE
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 05:01:52 am »

I'm an insane, obsessive Red Sox fan, since birth. When they won the world series, I cried.

Beat that, bitches!


The Brewers have never gone to the playoffs in my lifetime.  I'm of legal drinking age in the US.  I cried when we got victory #81 last year.


I win.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 05:25:35 am »

I've been a Mets fan since 1986.  It was my first World Series, and it was thrilling to my young mind.

Fuck you!!!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2006, 05:42:20 am »

You know, I don't even remember the playoffs that year (I was not quite yet seven).  But, yeah, it must have sucked to be an Astros fan.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2006, 06:03:30 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 06:16:57 am »

I don't care much about baseball.

I grew up where there was no team, but the nearest big city was Atlanta, so we were Supposed To Like The Braves.  They were on TV all the time (not just TBS).  All the stores sold Braves merchandise.  Trouble is, people who live in towns near Atlanta hate Atlanta precisely because you are required to go there for "big city" things.  Until Southwest, something like 90 percent of all flights leaving Birmingham flew to Atlanta just to transfer.  Concerts?  Atlanta.  Shopping?  Atlanta.  Comic books?  Atlanta.  Theme park?  Atlanta.  Museums?  Atlanta.

So we had an inferiority complex, and the Braves symbolized everything bad about Atlanta, and so I didn't develop a fandom in that critical pre-teen time period.  Plus they sucked then.  Heck, Atlantans still don't care about the Braves, so why should I?

Living here in San Diego was odd, what with them leading the woeful NL West all year.  I almost wanted to go to a game, but I can't justify paying more to park than to get a ticket just to say "I saw the division leaders play a game."  $40 plus four hours of my time isn't worth the novelty.  Sorry, Padres.

Also: one team having seven times the payroll of another team in the same division is stupid.  Baseball, you are dumb.  Rich and dumb.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2006, 06:54:14 am »

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2006, 02:54:59 pm »

The Brewers have never gone to the playoffs in my lifetime.  I'm of legal drinking age in the US.  I cried when we got victory #81 last year.

I've read a number of reports saying the Brewers are one of the most improved teams this off-season.

I hate hate hate the Braves.  And the Yankees.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2006, 05:12:39 pm »

I am in love with baseball.  I have a MacFarlane figure of Barry Zito on the top shelf of my desk among a scattering of foul balls from MLB, International League and Frontier League games.

This summer I'm planning a trip where I will see 11 games around Ohio in 9 days, another trip to both MLB parks in Pennsylvania and probably a run to three or four other parks at the minor-league level.  The Ohio trip includes an 11am start with the Lake County Captains because few things are more satisfying than settling in to a sunny seat with a hot dog in one hand and a cold beer in the other at 10:30 in the morning with two or three hours of baseball ahead of you.

I've been to the old and new Cleveland stadia, old and new Cincy, old and new Pittsburgh, old and new Detroit, old and new Atlanta, old and new Comiskey, Safeco in Seattle, and Tropicana Field (boo to that), plus a bunch of minor-league parks from Brooklyn to New Orleans.

I participate in at least six fantasy leagues every summer - you should see the spreadsheets I built to get me through this year's drafts.  It's open in another window as I type this and I can tell you that my team will be 2% better if I take Eddie Guardado in the next round than if I take Tad Iguchi.  Aubrey Huff is the most helpful available player but there's more depth at 1B than at 2B or CL and I don't want to get stuck taking a risk on Tom Gordon or some other creaky old stiff.

So yeah.  I'm a baseball fan.

So yes, baseball fans exist.  I love the game.

Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2006, 05:35:54 pm »

This summer I'm planning a trip where I will see 11 games around Ohio in 9 days, another trip to both MLB parks in Pennsylvania and probably a run to three or four other parks at the minor-league level.  The Ohio trip includes an 11am start with the Lake County Captains because few things are more satisfying than settling in to a sunny seat with a hot dog in one hand and a cold beer in the other at 10:30 in the morning with two or three hours of baseball ahead of you.

Turbo Ninja!  Brother!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn.  Best I've ever done is six ballparks in six days.  One year I planned a trip to hit all 30 major league parks in one season, but due to my not being independently wealthy I couldn't actually take it.  In hindsight I wish I had thrown caution to the wind and done it, 'cause I certainly can't do it now with a mortgage and two kids.  Hopefully when the kids are off at college I destroy their inheritance and pull it off.

Those early-start games are rare, but wonderful.  A minor league team here had "Breakfast at the Ballpark," a 10 AM start, but it was a failure.  Now their mid-week afternoon games are "Child care program days" and are overrun with kids in brightly colored T-shirts who know all the words to the Spongebob Square##### theme.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2006, 08:12:36 pm »

Those day games at Lake County will definitely be full of day camps, school groups and various and sundry other organizations in matching t-shirts.  The Spongebob singalong is to be expected but you've reminded me of the spine-freezing shrill cacophony that thousands of elementary school kids will generate when promted by a scoreboard and/or mascot.  I'll medicate myself with a couple of early-inning Miller Lites and everything will be okay.

I forgot to say that my favorite team is the Cleveland Indians.  I appreciate National League baseball more than the AL game (pitchers should hit) but I'm all about the Tribe. 
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2006, 11:42:01 pm »

M-E-T-S! METS METS METS!

Or something like that.

Two reasons, really: my dad was one (although if I'd followed this reasoning in football, I would have been a Bills fan), and the AAA affiliate for the Mets is the Norfolk Tides, just down the Interstate a spell. Interesting fact: the old stadium the Tides played at, Met Park, sat under the flight path of the Norfolk International Airport. It was kinda lousy, but it trained the players for promotion, because Shea Stadium sits under the flight path at LaGuardia, and is also lousy.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2006, 11:50:07 pm »

The Braves are my second least favorite team in all of sports, because my second favorite team is the Mets and also Ted Turner is a douchebag.  And that corny friggin' chant.  DAMNIT.

However, I do not hate them as much as the New England Patriots.
Logged
ACHIEVE

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do baseball fans exist?
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2006, 12:32:25 am »

I was a Mets fan for about a year in like seventh or eighth grade, with my friend Barbara Vesey the Queen of Corona.  I still find the name Tug McGraw rather poetic (I suppose that dates me, but we already knew that I am Old.)  I still think fondly of the old-fashioned charm of baseball.  To maintain this feeling, distance seems like a good idea, so I don't actually follow the sport like I normally don't actually talk to the bartender I have a crush on.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up