Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "What We Need More Of Is Science"  (Read 8783 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
"What We Need More Of Is Science"
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2003, 06:15:58 pm »

Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Why do webcomic people say "pr0n" instread of "Porn"?  It weirds me out.

As I understand it, it's a (mildly lame) vestige of gamer/"l33t" slang, which is used a lot by webcomics like Penny Arcade that go out of their way to appeal to people who play lots of Quake.

At least they don't write the whole script that way...
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
"What We Need More Of Is Science"
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2003, 06:37:05 pm »

What the hell does "leet" mean?

Anyway, people spell it "p0rn" because many filters will reject e-mail that use the word "porn."  

I tried to switch to the word "smut" which I like better anyway, but some filters screen that out and bounce my e-mail too.

It's usually some corporate thing that tries to filter these things out.  I guess they consider their employees to be akin to children who need to be protected from the nasty nasty world.

Oh yeah, the word "nasty" is often filtered, too, leading to such phrases as:

"Man, I watched some he11a na5ty p0rn last night..."

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
"What We Need More Of Is Science"
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2003, 06:46:52 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
What the hell does "leet" mean?


Evil gamer slang for elite - spelt 31337, or thus 1337.
It makes me want to drive my head through solid objects at marginally sub-sonic speed.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
"What We Need More Of Is Science"
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2003, 06:52:53 pm »

I figured it was slang for "elite" - but I don't know how it could be used.  It's not a disparaging term, so those "evil gamers" would have to use it to refer to themselves, right?  The "cool" people would be "l33t"?

I also don't understand "w00t" although I imagine it as sounded like the bark of a retarded dog.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
"What We Need More Of Is Science"
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2003, 07:00:25 pm »

leet is also why you so many people type teh [sic]. As in "Cathy sux teh coq" or "Family Circus is teh suk"

Although I'm pretty sure that pr0n just started as a way to defeat spam filters. Although the hip thing now is to add html comments in the middle of key words. So you see "Viagra" but the filters only see "Vi<!-- 1321313 -->ag<!-- 21lkj32ljk -->ra"

leet primer : http://www.straightdope.com/columns/030110.html
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
"What We Need More Of Is Science"
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2003, 07:11:35 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I figured it was slang for "elite" - but I don't know how it could be used.  It's not a disparaging term, so those "evil gamers" would have to use it to refer to themselves, right?  The "cool" people would be "l33t"?

I also don't understand "w00t" although I imagine it as sounded like the bark of a retarded dog.


Indeed. As in - I 4m teh 133t h4x0r!
I played so much Quake online my brain was etched with this drivel for years...

I also have never really understood w00t. All I can see, from the people around me who now use it who may be using it in an entirely different sense to it's original meaning, is that it's a cry of excitement or satisfaction.
I think however you are entirely right, and it does remind me of my retarded dog barking, particularly in his sleep.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up