Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Jobs!  (Read 19419 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2006, 02:26:10 pm »

Oh dear.  Drop that Poli Sci major while you can, get a useful degree in Computer Science or something.  Wish I had done that, but noooooooo.

Motion seconded.  My brother graduated with a PolySci degree a few years ago, spend a few years unemployed, and finally had to enter law school because he just couldn't get a job - and he's capable, intelligent, and all those other things that people want in an employee.

Now me, I don't even actually *have* my computer science degree yet, and people are falling all over themselves to give me a job, despite the fact that I lack the basic brainpower necessary to remember to breath while at the same time trying to turn left while walking.

Granted, my brother graduated in a terrible economic climate, and I will be in a slightly better one, but I still maintain that PolySci won't get you anywhere - unless you plan on grad school.

Of course, you may have "connections" or "something like that," so perhaps you will find a job.  I wish you all the best, whatever happens.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2006, 03:47:13 pm »

I'm a student at Smith College; though I haven't declared yet, I will be a double Biology/Psychology major.  During Winter Break and in the summer I work at Ben Franklin (craft store chain).

Wombat -- Is the bathroom poisonous?
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2006, 04:11:47 pm »

A political science degree may be bad, but nothing's as worthless as a Philosophy degree.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2006, 04:16:38 pm »

Wombat -- Is the bathroom poisonous?

Thankfully that is a question I haven't gotten yet. I have to say that my "not gaping at stupidity" skills have become highly developed, which will undoubtedly serve me well no matter what I end up doing if and when I grow up.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2006, 04:17:55 pm »

It's an important skill in retail, if you ever end up there.  Speaking of, my last shift ever in retail will be tomorrow night.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2006, 04:27:35 pm »

Congrats.  I know I did a little dance after my last shift in retail hell.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2006, 04:28:33 pm »

I will do a little dance.   Also, a couple of us are going out for drinks.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2006, 04:31:31 pm »

Speaking of, my last shift ever in retail will be tomorrow night.

Never say never.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2006, 04:37:08 pm »

A political science degree may be bad, but nothing's as worthless as a Philosophy degree.

I have a philosophy minor to go with my poli sci major.  w00t!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2006, 04:42:28 pm »

Carlos, I'm surprised you had problems with a poly sci since you live near DC. My SO and most of her friends are poly scis and they seemed to work out OK. Of course 2 went to law school after and 2 more snagged jobs in Makulski's office...
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2006, 04:51:36 pm »

A political science degree may be bad, but nothing's as worthless as a Philosophy degree.

Tell me about it.  Oh wait, there is one thing more worthless: also having an English Literature degree.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2006, 05:21:29 pm »

I had about 2/3's of a philosophy degree done when I transferred.  Ended up with a degree in Journalism and a philosophy minor.

Then I went to law school.  Now I'm trying to figure out how to market my law practice.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2006, 05:47:03 pm »

I can top a philsophy minor:  I may end up with en ethics minor.  It doesn't exist right now, but it may soon!

Really, though, I need to figure shit out.  I don't want to go to law school.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2006, 07:05:20 pm »

man...
I'm going to college next year. washington U in st louis.
um, right now, unemployed/ in highschool.

probably going to major in psychology. I might do the med-school thing and be a psychiatrist, but... isn't med school really hard?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2006, 08:24:09 pm »

do you know what dorm you'll be living in yet?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up