Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Jobs!  (Read 19405 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2006, 09:50:38 pm »

I have a friend who's a Philo/Poli Sci major and hates her coursework desperately. Why she's still in the departments, I dunno...

I have now visited two graduate schools and will visit one more in two weeks' time, so I'm pretty sure now I'm gonna be a neuroscientist when I grow up. What that means, I have no idea. (By the way, anyone have words to say about either Ithaca, NY or Irvine, CA?)
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2006, 10:13:37 pm »

Irvine, if only on the basis of climate, but points for the anteater, too.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2006, 10:34:28 pm »

I do marketing, promotions and production for a radio station.  It's a fun job and I can explain my high Internet usage time, if anyone should ask, by saying that I'm doing "research" into our demographic's interests and pastimes.

It is not a difficult job.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2006, 10:37:53 pm »

I'm the sales manager for a company that sells pharmaceutical balances and pill counters.  Sexy.

Irvine, CA is in Orange County, a burgeoning but somewhat conservative area south of where I live.  Asherdan can give you better info on the subject than I can.

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2006, 10:46:39 pm »

I enjoyed Ithaca pretty well... but this was in the summer.
my aunt and uncle both went to grad school at cornell, and loved it a ton.

if you do go there, please go to the restaurant "Taste of Thai', and order the pad thai. I dream about it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2006, 12:28:35 am »

I'm a college student at the University of Cincinnati. Trying to major in Industrial Design. Should be fun. During the summer I work at a mansion/garden estate. I do General Maintenance and Bar Backing (bartender's bitch). The hours suck HARD (read: i worked from 8:00am until 1:00am then return to work at 9:00am the bext day on two separate occasions.) but the people are nice, I'm outside most of the time and I get to drive over powered golf carts all day so I love that job. Plus, it is never static.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2006, 12:30:46 am »

Uh-oh... that's what I'm finishing up college to be.

For the last six years (!) I've worked for an airline in ground operations. Basically, I do everything at an airport that doesn't involve actually going into the air. It is also a stressful job at times, but it's got its perks. $40 flights to Greenland being one of them.

On that note, can you hook us up with tickets?
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2006, 01:43:50 am »

V-Adore, I have a friend at Cornell.  The T-shirts don't lie: Ithaca is Cold.  We both know what Massachusetts is like; Ithaca is colder and bleaker, not to mention isolated.  Students -- at least undergrads -- drink inconceivably large amounts of alcohol because there is nothing, nothing, to do.  If you decide to go there, avoid the cliffs; cordless bungee-jumping is not the answer.

On the plus side, it's an Ivy, so it's got name recognition, and it's a legitimately excellent school.  I'm pretty sure they're down with the Sciences, too.



My school can top both a Philosophy major and an Ethics minor: we offer minors in both Landscape Studies and Logic.  Considering we have less than 3000 undergraduate students, those are both rather specialised (i.e., useless) fields of study.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2006, 02:15:30 am »

not to mention isolated. 

Oh, I'd forgotten about this.  Ithaca is very, very, very far from everywhere.  Irvine is within shouting distance of LA which despite what some people might say, is definitely Somewhere, if Orange County isn't Somewhere enough for you. I confess that I have an irrational fascination with Southern California and a deep hatred of snow.  Some of my best friends have gone to school and/or taught at Cornell and liked it. But I'd worry about doing something as isolating in the first place as grad school in a place like Ithaca.

OK, feeling guilty for talking just about the climate.... Are we talking Cognitive Science at Irvine?  I've at least heard of some of them.  That could mean they are very famous.  Or it could just mean they abutted my field more than the people at Cornell...  I know someone in linguistics at Cornell who might know something, if you want me to ask.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2006, 02:56:49 am »

I'm a student in six year pharmacy doctorate program.  So in three years and a few months, I am supposed to be a pharmacist.

I was originally planning to do some kind of two year fellowship after graduating, to get into drug research and development, but my desire to do that has been washed away by my insatiable need to move out of my parent's home.  So out of school, I guess I will work behind a counter somewhere, I suppose...

In the meantime, I work as a deli-clerk in the deli owned by said parents.
Logged
ACHIEVE

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2006, 03:12:08 am »

Oh, I'd forgotten about this.  Ithaca is very, very, very far from everywhere.  Irvine is within shouting distance of LA which despite what some people might say, is definitely Somewhere, if Orange County isn't Somewhere enough for you. I confess that I have an irrational fascination with Southern California and a deep hatred of snow.  Some of my best friends have gone to school and/or taught at Cornell and liked it. But I'd worry about doing something as isolating in the first place as grad school in a place like Ithaca.

See, the thing is that right now I go to school in the ass-end of Massachusetts, and I grew up in Alaska. "Sparsely-populated," "isolated," and "cold" are not frightening adjectives to me. The grad students at Cornell did seem overall a little depressed, especially compared to the Irvine students ("let's go out drinking at a weird basement club, and I'll complain at length about my advisor" vs. "prospectives are coming?! We can go over to m apartment! I made Jello shots!!"), but I may have a better temperament for it.

Also, the OC is extremely somewhere. We went to the Irvine Spectrum Mall on Saturday, and holy crap, I was transfixed with wonderment. The mall was larger than my current hometown. It had a Ferris wheel. My God!

Quote
OK, feeling guilty for talking just about the climate.... Are we talking Cognitive Science at Irvine?  I've at least heard of some of them.  That could mean they are very famous.  Or it could just mean they abutted my field more than the people at Cornell...  I know someone in linguistics at Cornell who might know something, if you want me to ask.

I interviewed with a couple of Cognitive Sciences people; I'm not sure if that's entirely my bag, but one of them was doing some fascinating Asian-language research that I'm intrigued by. The program I'm actually applying for is their Interdepartmental Neuroscience program, which covers about five departments, including CogSci.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2006, 04:08:54 am »

Huh, I got a Tech Writing degree. Used it for a little while when I was working for Sam's Club in the liquor store, and I put out a little newsletter for the employees on the side. Other than that, it's always helped me as sort of an adjunct to whatever I'm actually doing for a living because no one in the work force can actually use the written word to convey information effectively.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2006, 04:36:09 am »

augustwest-- was that to me, or v-adore?
I do not know. I get a questionnaire to decide that sometime in... I think april.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2006, 07:46:46 am »

I graduated Poli Sci and Spanish and had a great job with the US Centers for Disease Control for almost 14 years before I quit to avoid a transfer to LA.

Now I work (I hope, temporarily) for a large Health Insurance provider with the Pharmacy Benefits.

What I really want to do is manage public health/non profit organization community programs. Like, what I used to do.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2006, 07:55:52 am »

I'm doing my honours year at uni where I seem to have managed to gone from drug design and development into semi-straight chemistry. At the moment I'm doing stuff with metabolism and NMR.
The rest of the time I pump gas. As of the last week anyway.

Limmo: Don't be down on your business, any chemist (not as in pharmacist, but them too I guess) will tell you high quality balances are hell of important.

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up