Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Jobs!  (Read 19391 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2006, 08:52:35 am »

Huh, I got a Tech Writing degree. Used it for a little while when I was working for Sam's Club in the liquor store, and I put out a little newsletter for the employees on the side. Other than that, it's always helped me as sort of an adjunct to whatever I'm actually doing for a living because no one in the work force can actually use the written word to convey information effectively.
What I enjoy the most is the empty vacant look that people get in their eyes when they ask me what I do for a living and I reply "I'm a Technical Writer". Then they ponder for a while whether they should ask me what it is I actually do, decide not to bother, and start talking about the weather or such like.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2006, 12:13:22 pm »

Huh, I got a Tech Writing degree. Used it for a little while when I was working for Sam's Club in the liquor store, and I put out a little newsletter for the employees on the side. Other than that, it's always helped me as sort of an adjunct to whatever I'm actually doing for a living because no one in the work force can actually use the written word to convey information effectively.

I figured that's what would I end up doing with it, too - my plan for the moment is to get the degree and get a job with my airline's customer service training department. I have noticed that no one there seems to be able to form complete sentences either. Apparently there are people there who still HIT THE CAPS LOCK KEY WHEN THEY WRITE E-MAILS SO THAT THEY DON'T HAVE TO BOTHER WITH CAPITALIZATION. I mean, seriously, I thought the Internet killed off those people in 1997.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2006, 01:02:46 pm »

Education:  Is that why people write in all caps?  I always thought there was no better reason than that they'd once hit caps lock by accident and couldn't figure out how to turn it off.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2006, 05:21:58 pm »

augustwest-- was that to me, or v-adore?
I do not know. I get a questionnaire to decide that sometime in... I think april.

That was to you.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2006, 11:35:59 pm »

I'm an assistant to the theatre manager on campus right now.  Above minimum wage is all I have to say about that.

I'm a business major, with a possible economics degree if I continue going this way, but I keep on looking out the window during class
and daydream about becoming an art & design major

I also have half of a psychology degree.
Logged
R U Passionate??

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2006, 12:37:10 am »

and daydream about becoming an art & design major

It is the way to go. I love my major/minor. Interior Design and Art History, in that order. LOVE!
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2006, 05:27:52 am »

Apparently there are people there who still HIT THE CAPS LOCK KEY WHEN THEY WRITE E-MAILS SO THAT THEY DON'T HAVE TO BOTHER WITH CAPITALIZATION. I mean, seriously, I thought the Internet killed off those people in 1997.

Sometimes I'll chat with friends who work at places where they have to use all caps when they type stuff in certain fields.  It used to piss me off because I thought they were always YELLING at me.

But really, if you want to be that lazy, why not just not capitalize at all?  It's easier to read, anyway, and less abrasive.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 12:43:37 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2006, 02:23:49 pm »

This makes me wonder why a small-caps font hasn't wormed its way into the standard distribution of Arial, Helvetica, and TNR.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2006, 03:18:01 am »

I had to deal with someone yesterday who wrote me a note in which the initial letter of every word was capitalized. How do you suppose that brain is wired?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2006, 07:17:57 am »

I had to deal with someone yesterday who wrote me a note in which the initial letter of every word was capitalized. How do you suppose that brain is wired?

Maybe that person imagines everything they write as song titles.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2006, 01:43:35 pm »

Track 1: Dear Sir
Track 2: I Can't Believe
Track 3: You'd Sell This Crap
Track 4: To An Unsuspecting Gentleman
Track 5: Such As Myself
Track 6: I'll Kill You
Track 7: And Your Family
Track 8: While They're Sleeping
Track 9: Unless You Give Me Store Credit
Track 10: Cordially
Track 11: Me

The breakout new album by Writing In Tongues
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 03:32:16 pm by acoxcae »
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2006, 09:08:51 pm »

That made me laugh, which led to coughing followed by calling the Earl which is why I'm not at the job this thread was about.

I think that might cause some kind of... Paradox in the Internet/Real World Continuum... if we're not careful.

Biz Markizzle

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2006, 11:49:26 pm »

Hello all

I'm a managing editor for a couple o' medical journals (and I do a fair amount of freelance, primarily for neurology articles and books). It's a good job that is very challenging intellectually, though not so much creatively. I've just started trying to build a fiction resume (as in, editing fiction, not writing it), because I think it won't be long before I really start stagnating with the medical stuff.

And recently at work a fellow editor was fired when they discovered she was searching for jobs from her desk, and as a result they have cracked down in a Big Brother sort of way on Internet use for personal means. So as it has been for the last couple weeks, my presence on TOUAMB will be greatly reduced until things lighten up again, which I suspect they will eventually. But it could be a while. Anyway, I greatly miss killing at least an hour per day with y'all but if all goes well I will be back frequently pretty soon.

xoxo
Biz
Logged
Even my superficial raps are super official.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2006, 01:49:47 am »

Best of luck, Biz. What a weird policy.

On the subject of people who just can't type in English: the magazine I edit is currently published by a man m co-editor and I call "the chimp." Not only does he almost always type in all caps, in that HAY GUYS THERE'S THIS LIGHT ON M KEYBOARD I CAN'T GET TO TURN OFF way, he also drops words, usually incredibly inappropriately. The best example was the e-mail from him that began: "WE YOUR PAYMENT..." Okay, so do you have our payment or need our payment? This is an important verb, dude!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs!
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2006, 02:48:26 am »

I'm a managing editor for a couple o' medical journals (and I do a fair amount of freelance, primarily for neurology articles and books).

JACR (jake-er)?
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up