Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: play an instrument?  (Read 22785 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
play an instrument?
« on: February 20, 2006, 07:02:11 pm »

so, I play guitar. I enjoy playing it pretty soundly. I am getting a new guitar, because I am a spoiled rich kid, basically. Normally I try to deny it/fight it, but, come on! new guitar!

it will look like either http://www.fender.com/resources/colors/images/08_lg.jpg or http://www.umanovguitars.com/store/prodpics/used/65_jag_sb.jpg

(in addition to telling about instruments which you play, a vote as to the color would be helpful to me)


anyway: what instruments do you play? are you in a band? what is the name of the band? what kind of music do you enjoy making with your instrument?

I basically play anything which it is stereotyped for teenagers to like. except heavy metal.
so: punk, "indie" of varying kinds, classic rock.
I play guitar and piano. I own an acoustic guitar, a cheap beginner's electric guitar, and soon, a new electric guitar.
I am pretty bad at piano. I can play "jingle bells", with only a few mistakes!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 05:40:01 pm by CortJstr »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 07:23:16 pm »

I play fingerstyle acoustic numbers on guitar, mostly. Simple stuff like the old Simon and Garfunkel. I also play keyboard, sporadically.

More importantly, I play bass in a band! We do not write our own stuff, but instead play whatever for friends and pubs. We used to play indie shite like the Libertines and the Strokes, but since none of us liked it once our domineering singer left, we now play Bossa Nova, blues, samba, and of course classic rock standards. I am hoping to get my bandmates into ska and some punk so we can play some Specials or Stiff Little Fingers.

We don't have a name.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 07:23:44 pm »

More Fun with Wombat's Weird Past:

In the course of my life I have played acoustic guitar, shawm, recorder, button accordion, piano and/or harpsichord, in roughly that order of competence.  I have also been seen in extremely brief public appearances on medieval harp, drums and hurdy-gurdy. Maybe also pennywhistle.  It's kind of a blur. I have sung all periods of classical music but mostly pre-baroque in choruses, Balkan folk music, in bars with Morris dancers, and the sort of stuff you sing when you play acoustic guitar mediocrely but can sing pretty OK and in tune at the same time as another person.  

I am now retired from music except for singing along with the harmony parts to Bruce Springsteen in the car.  My great regret is never having been in a band with a name or played an electric guitar.

My friend who I used to sing and play guitar with has two boys 8 and 13 and she claims that NO ONE who is younger than us plays an instument anymore. I am glad if this is not true.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 07:29:39 pm »

I have sung all periods of classical music but mostly pre-baroque in choruses, Balkan folk music, in bars with Morris dancers, and the sort of stuff you sing when you play acoustic guitar mediocrely but can sing pretty OK and in tune at the same time as another person.

This is really fantastic.

Anyway, I really like baroque choral music.  Sing much of that?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 07:34:47 pm »

Wombat, that is quite the musical resume indeed. Playing drums takes it down a notch, but as you said it was an extremely brief period (I love drummers and their misshaped hands really.) I can't believe you've retired from music, you seem a lot more skilled than most dudes I know.

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 07:39:34 pm »

I play drums (and vehemently argue that my hands are not in any way shape or form misshaped), although it's years since I last touched a drum kit. I've played in four or five bands, none of which anyone's ever heard of. Classic rock, hard rock, metal, such like.

I would really really love to get a band together again but that would require more time, money (for a proper drum kit), and space (for practising) than I currently have. Oh and other people into the same crappy music that I like.

Maybe I should just start playing the violin. The world's smallest violin. For myself.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 07:42:24 pm »

Sang for 22 years, Piano for like 14 years now, flute for about 6, guitar for about 7, and drums in my dreams.


Man what I wouldn't have given to be a spoiled rich kid who could've afforded a drumset.  That is my secret dream, a drumset.  (Also a sailboat, and while I'm dreaming shit up: a pony and the ability to fly/see through clothing.  Thanks.)
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 08:13:17 pm »

I play a few things.  I play guitar, bass, drums, cello, in process of improving on saxophone and keyboard.

Footnotes:  I sold my drums several years ago and now only play various percussion on tables and bottles and I own a djembe, this big african floor drum.  My primary instrument is guitar (maybe 9 years?), so natrually I can play bass also, but oddly I think I am a better bassist than guitarist.  Cello, I am out of practice.  I bought the alto sax in December.  A friend left his keyboard with me, so I've been playing it for the past 3 months or so.

I played in a metal band, an orchestra, and nowadays I just jam with buddies on jazz/jam rock, and also write electronic music called The Acidic Lung Project.  ALP has a Myspace that can be viewed at http://www.myspace.com/acidlung  .
Logged
ACHIEVE

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 08:17:13 pm »

natrually I can play bass also, but oddly I think I am a better bassist than guitarist.

I reckon if you play drums for a while, it's easier to transfer the whole rhythmic skills learnt from that onto a bass guitar than to learn all the wankery associated with lead guitar from scratch. Just a thought.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 08:20:18 pm »

Playing drums takes it down a notch

They were only silly little folky or primitive early music drums.  I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

I sang bits of baroque and later classical music but that was mostly not the crowd I ran with. I never played a proper orchestral instrument, although I once had a very vivid dream of having to play the cello in a concert of the Mozart Requiem without having been to rehearsal or actually knowing how to play the cello.  After a couple of movements I'd just about figured it out, but just then the conductor noticed and benched me, much to my frustration.

Now, I want to know more about Q's singing career. Was that a precious photo of a darling boy soprano we were looking at earlier?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 08:39:17 pm »

Guitar, bass, flute, baritone horn, keyboard, upright bass, and some shitty percussion skills.  I'm not really good with a whole kit, but I can play bottles and cardboard like a motherfucker.  I would love a kit someday though.  A little crisp jazz kit..... ooooohhhhhhhhhh..........

I play bass in an improv band side project, when all the guys are in town we'll play, called Hot Little Secretary, no set lists, most songs and lyrics are made up on the spot, However, we do make a point to play Sir Psycho Sexy, a 10 minute version of Seven Nation Army which spans all musical genres and acoustic Fuck The Police.

And why are you asking?

obviously 3 tone sunburst, son
Logged
R U Passionate??

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 09:36:02 pm »

I plays the gee-tar.  I'm that obnoxious guy with a 12-string who plays Lemonheads and Iron & Wine songs, except that I only do it in my house in front of no one but my own family, rather than going to parties or the park.  I also play songs for my 2-year-old (including much of TMBG's kids' records), who jumps around appreciatively and sings along at times.

I sang for a band in college, in the grunge heyday of the early 90's.  One of the best weeks of my life was the week around New Years' in 1992/93:  We played at CBGB's in NYC a couple days before. The day after New Years, we headlined a big local-band show at our home club for the most enthusiastic crowd we ever had; I had seen the club more full maybe three or four more times, for Fugazi and Live (this is in Lancaster, PA, see).

Here is a lengthy tale from my rock 'n' roll days.  A couple MP3 dragged out the vault, if you really want to subject yourself to that, are here.


Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 09:41:01 pm »

 I have also been seen in extremely brief public appearances on medieval harp, drums and hurdy-gurdy. Maybe also pennywhistle.  It's kind of a blur.

 Maybe if you and the other neofolk/period music travelers hadn't partied the 90s into oblivion you'd be a little sharper on the details! Friggin rockstars, I swear. 
Really though, I'm impressed.

 My favorite answer to this question ever was given by this guy I knew in highschool:
"I play everything. INCLUDING the saxaphone."

 Between him and Wombat I feel a bit light. Right now I play bass and control feedback loops in a bunch of different projects. My favorite is this blastcore/noise/skronk improv jamboree me and two other guys do on Fridays. And theinevitable, forget new guitars, it's all about the amps! *flailing, pseudo-hip-hop arm motions*
Logged
I am older now.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 10:26:29 pm »

Now, I want to know more about Q's singing career. Was that a precious photo of a darling boy soprano we were looking at earlier?

No no, that was me dressed up as GMr. Wonderfuls Julius Caesar.  See I was a bit obsessed with Roman Emporers since I was born on the Ides of March.  I dunno.  I was an odd kid.

Anyway, I was a boy Soprano back then.  Started in Choir and on and on till I ended up with bands and singing shanties and other various unsundry things.

It's more of a hobby than a career really, but thank you for your interest.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 10:34:10 pm »

I play lead guitar in a rock band ( alt.country x shoegazer = crazy delicious )

I don't care whether your new Fender is sunburst or metallic blue, as long as it is a Stratocaster and not a Jaguar. 

Seriously.  Get a Strat.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up