Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: play an instrument?  (Read 22848 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 10:42:21 pm »

mann.
antioch: yeah, I've realized that no matter how great this guitar may be, it will sound like crap on my shitty shitty crate amp.

limmo: how can you combine those things? that is so awesome!

yeah, I wanted a strat at one point... but... jaguar! so many switches! short scale neck! crazy shape!

I don't know, I'm going to try it out before I buy... but... I've wanted one for years.

and: I'm glad that there are other people whose greatest musical regret is not being able to afford a drum kit. drums are awesome!

judy: oh man! I am totally listening to some old school Ska right now. Desmond Dekker! Prince Buster! Skatalites! Specials (not as old school)! Hoorah!
Ska is such fun music. why is it so fun? I love it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 10:47:31 pm »

I did the piano thing for...eh, approximately 10 years or so. I still like to play when I can and have music as I'm not much for making it up off the top of my head.

I also sang. For years. From the required music classes in elementary school through middle school and then just because I wanted to and liked it in high school.
I was even in the show choir in dancing shoes and little skimpy sparkly dresses.
Drool away boys...
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 10:56:11 pm »

Read the Jaguar product review database before you do. 

Also, a minor anecdote: I saw Television in 1992 when they put out their self-titled reunion album.  Both Richard Lloyd and Tom Verlaine played Jaguars.  They also had to re-tune their guitars after EVERY fuck*ng SONG. 

For the same amount of money, you can get a Strat that will be bulletproof and give you greater tonal options.  I've heard good things about the new Mexican Strats, and also the new Eric Johnson model.

If you want a guitar with a crazy shape and a lot of switches, get one of these.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 11:14:22 pm »

judy: oh man! I am totally listening to some old school Ska right now. Desmond Dekker! Prince Buster! Skatalites! Specials (not as old school)! Hoorah!
Ska is such fun music. why is it so fun? I love it.

I'm not heavily involved in ska circles and I do not know whether they are considered the Good Charlotte of that scene but I sure love Madness. Their earlier stuff is fantastic, and it's the mentioning of Prince Buster that brought this into my head.

I know almost nothing about ska except the names of the famous ska dudes/revivalists. I'm a bad, bad person.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 12:05:50 am »

I just bought myself a Charango at last. Figured it was about time. I've always had a real draw to bolivian music, ever since seeing Rumillajta as a child (multiple times). It's pretty awesome, but then nothing lives up to my studio Les Paul.
I have come to collect musical instruments basically, so I just kepe collecting what I can.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

weareas1

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 01:03:50 am »


and the ability to fly/see through clothing. 

You want the ability to fly through clothing?  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
Logged

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 01:25:20 am »

I'm not heavily involved in ska circles and I do not know whether they are considered the Good Charlotte of that scene but I sure love Madness. Their earlier stuff is fantastic, and it's the mentioning of Prince Buster that brought this into my head.

I know almost nothing about ska except the names of the famous ska dudes/revivalists. I'm a bad, bad person.

I don't really follow ska, but I have friends that do and all those folks have big respect for Madness, so you've done good. One modern ska band that they have managed to get me into is The Slackers.

Growing up, I sang until my voice changed and played tuba (sweet) through high school. I've been playing bass for about 12 years (on and off and back on again) now. I was in a band called Long Distance Runner for three years until they broke up last summer. I'm playing with a couple of them along with the very dude who turned me on to Achewood in a new band called Wind or Ghost are recording our demo right now, and also in another group that is not named yet.

This is my baby. The company I bought it from, Carvin makes some very awesome customizable type guitars as well, for a rate often cheaper of an American Fender or Gibson. Basically the instrument, especially guitar, you choose all depends on the music you want to play. I'm a fan of the beefier sound of the Gibson, particularly the SG, though Les Pauls are pretty rad too. The Jag is certianly a cool looking instrument, gotta go sunburst if that's the route you're looking. I would pay attention to what the players you want to sound like, tonewise, are playing and try to find a consensus. And get rid of the freakin' Crate at the earliest possibility and replace it with some an amp that will let your guitar sound like what it sounds like.

Of course, if you've wanted a Jag for a long time, get the Jag. No law saying you can't get another guitar to go with it down the line...

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 01:26:16 am »

You want the ability to fly through clothing?  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

You don't?


Also I'm kind of frightened that you used your first post for this.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 01:56:26 am »

I own a left-handed Washburn acoustic guitar. I bought it and started teaching myself/practicing for about two months, then took a day off and haven't touched it again except to move it from the dining room to the bedroom. I keep saying I'm going to get back to it, and I never do.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 03:53:56 am »

I played the piano very well when I was young, but gave it up when I hit adolescence, and now can only play one song that I somehow remember by heart.  I tried really hard to learn play guitar, but I have small, weak girl hands and no aptitude what so ever.  I sing a lot, basically every day, but not in a performance sort of way.  Also, I play the skin flute.

(I'm sorry, that's so childish.)
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 04:39:00 am »

yeah...
I've read the reviews, I like the bands that play jags, etc.
all I'm lacking is the actual experience of playing it. which should come pretty soon.

what I can't understand about that site of reviews is that the first 2 pages are mostly negative, and after that, it's almost straight 10's.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 05:20:38 am »

I was in a band called Long Distance Runner for three years until they broke up last summer.

Was the band name inspired by the Fugazi song?  It's one of my favorites by any band.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 05:28:51 am »

yeah...
I've read the reviews, I like the bands that play jags, etc.
all I'm lacking is the actual experience of playing it. which should come pretty soon.

what I can't understand about that site of reviews is that the first 2 pages are mostly negative, and after that, it's almost straight 10's.

Maybe there was a bad batch of Jags from the factory.  Who the hell knows.

Also: consider getting a slighly less expensive guitar and using the $ to get a better amp.  Line 6 Flextones are good and cheap.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2006, 05:54:28 am »

yeah, the guitar+amp option won't work-- the deal is "hey, we'll buy you a guitar", so cheaper guitar = only cheaper guitar.
I mean, I'm considering just getting one used on ebay... much cheaper. but, still, that would only result in a guitar. I'll just get a summer job and get a better amp (alternatively: buy drums. everyone plays guitar... and I don't know any drummers.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2006, 05:58:35 am »

I have one of the "new" Mexican Strats (got it in 1994) and it is indeed a fine instrument.  Gotta be honest, there's not much difference between it and a regular American Strat (other than +$300-500).

It has served me well for the past (counts on fingers) wow, 12 years, and the thing is built like a tank.

I also have an old Steve Vai-esque Ibanez that I've had since 1991 which I have been thinking of selling, because it is very much a Headbanger's guitar and I just play the strat more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up