Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: play an instrument?  (Read 22787 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2006, 05:38:42 pm »

the only banjoist (banjoer? banjobe?) that I'm at all familiar with is Bela Fleck...is there anybody else out there worth listening to?

Ricky Skaggs!!!  And the father of Bluegrass Banjo Earl Scruggs.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2006, 05:43:21 pm »

Bela Fleck is a banjo player only in that the instrument he has attached all the weird stuff to is a banjo. It's interesting music, and the sounds are awesome but I actually enjoyed it a lot less than I thought I would.

Try some Del McCoury. Many of his/their songs are a lot of fun. Paul sent me a mixtape with a great Del McCoury song on it.

And of course, Earl Scruggs was The Man when it came to Banjo. If you can find a file on the intarnets of Foggy Bottom Breakdown it's worth it.
Logged

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2006, 05:52:17 pm »

Thanks guys, I'll hit up some limewire and do some sampling when I get home.

Does Bela always play the goofy instrument? I've heard some non-Flecktone stuff he's played on where he seems to be playing just plain old banjo, but I don't know the instrument well enough to be sure.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2006, 06:00:15 pm »

I've not heard the non-Fecktone stuff. He must play it in the traditional way because otherwise there would be no reason to modify a Banjo to do all the stuff he does with the Flecktones.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2006, 09:12:24 pm »



Why are there so many kinds of stratocaster? Which would you suggest (I want a mexican-made one, price wise, but I'm not sure what that means for my options. Are all of the ones that don't say "American" in the title mexican?)

I feel like I'm buying a damn car. The strat is a minivan, and the jag is a sports car.

Don't agree with the car analogy at all, but whatever.  Just go to the store and play guitars.  One will "feel" right to you, and it's not necessarily going to be the one you originally had your heart set on.  The guitar you don't want to stop playing is the one you'll leave the store with.  Happy hunting. 

Don't ever buy a guitar off of eBay.  In fact, don't ever buy a guitar you haven't actually played.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2006, 01:25:30 am »

Recently I was fortunate enough to accompany my SO to the opening night performance of Béla Fleck & the Flecktones' new tour.  They were phenomenal.  Victor Wooten -- shit, I can't even describe how amazing he was.  He played faster than I could hear.  And during his solo, Béla played what appeared to be just a regular banjo.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2006, 03:46:17 am »

hmm.
I was under the impression that the banjo was an african thing.

actually, she was bulgarian. it was one of those situations that makes everyone appreciate music all over again... her dad was really conservative, and wouldn't let her listen to american music.

so it was like "oh my god! have you heard of this band called Pink Floyd? they're incredible! I mean, wow!"


also: yeah, I mean, I'm just going to try it. if I like it, I'll get it. if I dont' like it, I'll get another guitar which I do like. I'll try out a variety, etc. But right now, I think that the Jaguar is the guitar for me. Maybe it isnt, but... I'm still young, right?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2006, 05:11:24 am »

Its origins are African, I think, but of course, in America at least, most people consider it to be about the whitest instrument you can play.

Speaking of bluegrass, I just purchased Dolly Parton's The Grass is Blue and it's really nice.

Topically, I played the piano when I was younger, but got sick of lessons.  My parents were right, and I regret quitting.  I own three guitars, but don't play much anymore.  I've never been in a band, and the last time I played with someone else was like three years ago.  I sing, but poorly.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2006, 05:13:18 am »

Yes sir. It is a great song by one of the few bands we had in common. One of my all time favorite album-closers.

Mine too!  If not my absolute favorite.  That entire album is sequenced in a way that couldn't be topped by Jesus.  But that song.  Oh!  That song.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2006, 03:56:34 pm »

Mine too!  If not my absolute favorite.  That entire album is sequenced in a way that couldn't be topped by Jesus.  But that song.  Oh!  That song.

That color! Those lyrics!

That album, and the two after (though I don't think End Hits is on the same level as Medicine and Argument) really established them as a great album band, front to end, as opposed to a just (ha!) a great song band.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2006, 07:17:36 pm »

Fugazi.  Whatever.  So five minutes ago.

They've been completely outshined by The Marimba Ponies.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2006, 07:34:09 pm »

Fugazi.  Whatever.  So five minutes ago.

They've been completely outshined by The Marimba Ponies.

I especially like the kid on the cymbal, just crashin' all those cymbals together, just having a great old time.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2006, 08:11:29 pm »

Fugazi.  Whatever.  So five minutes ago.

They've been completely outshined by The Marimba Ponies.

GodDAMMIT the Internet is weird.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Mr. Gary

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2006, 12:21:10 am »

Whoa, so late to this thread. Uh, I play the ukulele, bass, and singing saw. Also, jew's harp. Mostly ukulele.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2006, 12:25:47 am »

For Miles and The Inevitable:

Instrument origin is African. I think Bluegrass Music's origin is Irish folk music. That's a guess on my part, also, Celtic bands sometimes have an instrument that must be a lute of some kind with a drone string. Not, though, a drumlike head like you would find on a banjo.

Good call on the origin, the word is apparently a deriviation of african words for drums (like Bongo).

See here for more.


[link fixed - w]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 12:38:12 am by wombat »
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up