Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: play an instrument?  (Read 22812 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2006, 12:39:45 am »

That color! Those lyrics!

That album, and the two after (though I don't think End Hits is on the same level as Medicine and Argument) really established them as a great album band, front to end, as opposed to a just (ha!) a great song band.

It's so hard to pick a favorite.  I really like Kill Taker, but lately I've really liked Steady Diet, too.  End Hits is also a favorite.  For some reason, Repeater and Argument, though great albums, never really ranked up there with the others.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Mr. Gary

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2006, 01:48:22 am »

I'm a big fan of Red Medicine and Repeater, myself.

Apparently when Fugazi started, Minor Threat fans asked Ian Mackaye what that reggae shit he was playing was.
Logged

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2006, 03:28:03 am »

 Apparently those jerky minor threat fans had never heard Bad Brains.
Logged
I am older now.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2006, 03:37:59 am »

god, I love fugazi.

but... really? red medicine?
I own it... and I've never been able to get into it, other than a few songs.
what am I missing?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2006, 03:44:03 am »

Apparently those jerky minor threat fans had never heard Bad Brains.


Bad Brains, who just just reformed!!

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2006, 03:51:37 am »

The way you can tell Fugazi is such a great band is that just about every fan you talk to will give you a different order of favorite albums. I'd say Argument is probably my favorite, with Red Medicine and Repeater not far behind. 13 Songs nearby for it's nostalgic value.

I can certainly appreciate, Inevitable, not getting Red Medicine. I didn't when it first came out. It was straight weird from what I was used to from them, all going in different directions, all weird rhythms, all occasionally not edgy. But as time went on, I gave it a more intensive listen, seperated it from the previous work (often really hard to do), and see that they were reaching out more, and doing a helluva job with it. I had a similiar experience with another DC band, SDRE's How It Feels to Be Something On, some years later...now both rank as amongst all time faves.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2006, 04:45:14 am »

SDRE is a Seattle band.  And I still hate that album, but clearly I'm in the minority.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2006, 04:55:13 am »

They've been completely outshined by The Marimba Ponies.

How about being one of the non-marimba playing members.  "Oh, so you're in the Marimba Ponies!  You play the marimbas!?"  "No, I play the drums." :'(
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Mr. Gary

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2006, 04:59:15 am »

Marimba Ponies, huh?

That reminds me of one of my favorite local artists, Laura Barrett, a master kalimbaist.. Kalimbonist.. Kalimba player.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2006, 05:03:48 am »

OK, now I can finally unawkwardly ask this question:
what is the name of that song?

and while I'm asking:
what is the name of that "city!" music? There is one family guy where peter gets his own theme music, and when he's on the bus, it starts playing.


there's a lot of incidental music that I would enjoy listening to on a personal level. but how do you bring up "you know that song thats like... *imitates marimbas with mouth*"?

also: HOLY HELL! http://www.brianudelhofen.com/Shadow.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 05:22:06 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2006, 05:05:10 am »

SDRE is a Seattle band.

Dammit, I know that too, that's like the fifth time I've been corrected on that...I guess I just...can't accept it..

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2006, 05:22:59 am »

OK.  Really embarrassing story.  To me, anyway.  I got into Fugazi because I read somewhere that they were a Washington-based punk quartet.  Being from Seattle, 13 or so, and it being like 1993, I totally bought a Fugazi CD because I thought it was going to be grunge.  And initially, I was probably a little disappointed.  But the album was Repeater, which features one of the best one-two combination opening any album by any band ever, so I was quickly sold.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 04:26:46 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2006, 05:51:04 am »

OK.  Really embarrassing story.  To me, anyway.  I got into Fugazi because I read somewhere that they were a Washington-based punk quartet.  Being from Seattle, 13 or so, and it being like 1993, I totally bought a Fugazi CD because I thought it was going to be grunge.  And initially, I was probably a little disappointed.  But the album was Repeater, which features one of the best one-two combinations opening any album by any band ever, so I was quickly sold.

Hey, that's not too embarrassing. I'm twice that age and I just misplaced a band I've been listening to for almost 12 years. I would imagine it's the same Seattle-Washington thing that has it so ironed in my head, but they were a Sub Pop band and at the time I liked them because they were like a prettier Seaweed, so that still doesn't make sense.

That being said, right on the opening of Repeater call. That bassline in the title track takes the ball like a friggin hand off.

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2006, 05:57:54 am »

OK, now I can finally unawkwardly ask this question:
what is the name of that song?

Took a minute, but Sabre Dance

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2006, 01:54:32 am »

and while I'm asking:
what is the name of that "city!" music? There is one family guy where peter gets his own theme music, and when he's on the bus, it starts playing.

I don't recall hearing it before, I figured it was original music for the show.  "Ridin' on the bAHHse ridin' on the bAAHHHsse."
Logged
ACHIEVE
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up