Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: play an instrument?  (Read 22764 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2007, 09:25:23 pm »

Wasn't Kurt Cobain a bassist?

Nevermind, that was Novoselic.


Oh, a pun.  How painful.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 09:31:10 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2007, 11:38:34 pm »

Well, since I want to have Frank Black Francis' retarded children, I give you

Frank Black Tabs: http://www.frankblack.net/tabs/

and

Pixies Tabs: http://www.frankblack.net/tabs/pix.asp

If you don't have access to much Frank Black stuff, I imagine it can be arranged to say, fall off the truck somewhere near you.   These and brokenbricks.com are where I've been haunting during my guitar times.   An MP3 on iTunes and the tab in front of me.

Frank's Rhythm work can go from nice and easy, to these weird syncopated rhythms.   It's all a good workout. 

Where is My Mind's Rhythm might be a good place to start.   E,  C#, G#, A.   It's a nice easy one.  Might get you out of the whole step rut!
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2007, 11:44:32 pm »

yeah. well. Another problem is that I am all over the place in terms of what I want to play.

Alright, well, the good news is: you're interested in bands whose music is fairly easy to learn and play along with.  You're already doing the right thing by getting power tabs of these guys.  One thing you could do: make a list of thirty songs you want to learn how to play, that are in the vein you ultimately want to move in.  Then whittle that list down to the ten songs you're most enamored of.  Find the tabs for them.  Then pick ONE song from your list and beat it to death.  Most people just sort of learn a song a little bit and then get bored and move on to something else.  Learn the song backwards and forwards, till you can play it in perfect time with the recorded version without even looking at the fretboard.  

More later.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2007, 01:00:47 am »

I think the best way to improve is to play along with music, play some tracks and try to improv along with it.  I disagree that improvisation is a different skill set from technical ability.

Just search the fretboard and find notes that work.  And put some vibrato in it.
Logged
ACHIEVE

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2007, 04:59:06 am »

Well, since I want to have Frank Black Francis' retarded children, I give you

Frank Black Tabs: http://www.frankblack.net/tabs/

and

Pixies Tabs: http://www.frankblack.net/tabs/pix.asp

If you don't have access to much Frank Black stuff, I imagine it can be arranged to say, fall off the truck somewhere near you.   These and brokenbricks.com are where I've been haunting during my guitar times.   An MP3 on iTunes and the tab in front of me.

Frank's Rhythm work can go from nice and easy, to these weird syncopated rhythms.   It's all a good workout. 

Where is My Mind's Rhythm might be a good place to start.   E,  C#, G#, A.   It's a nice easy one.  Might get you out of the whole step rut!


Smick, you are awesome. I fuck*ng love the Pixies and Black Francis. Tiny can for you, good sir.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2007, 05:30:06 am »

Here's the chords for the Replacements.  You'll learn a lot about song construction just by playing along.

Getting your rhythm down - your internal sense of time - is more important than anything else.  Even just hacking through scales becomes beneficial when you do it with a metronome.   You do have a metronome, right?  You do now.

Here's one of the most genius things evah on the Interwebs: GAFF.  If you don't know how to play a particular scale or chord, you just plug it in here and off you go. 

A final note for tonight: I know you and I do not share the same opinion about Hendrix's Axis: Bold As Love album.  Nonetheless, it is a veritable microcosm of all Jimi's guitar techniques shoehorned into a fairly short album.  Guitar World just put out an instructional DVD with a teacher showing how to play the entire album, one chord at a time.  You could do a lot worse for ten bucks.  If you were to get it ( I got my copy at a supermarket newsstand ) and really put in some serious time with it,  you will learn how to operate a fuck*ng guitar. 

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2007, 05:32:46 am »

yeah, I tried to form a band once where the only common thread we had was all knowing how to play "Where Is My Mind?" It didn't last long.

The 10 songs idea sounds awesome. That is a great idea. I will do that.

Also: improvising/jamming along and trying to find notes that work is something that I am a big fan of. That method is actually the technique behind most of the times I have felt like I was doing well at playing guitar.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I realize that my weird rant up there was... weird. I was having a weird night.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »

PS they have a bunch of NoMeansNo powertabs, which I had not dared to even hope for. Wonderful. So right now I am split between that, and The Cure.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2007, 03:40:47 pm »

This weekend I played and sang semi-publicly for the first time in a long while.  I played about a half-dozen songs at my kid's birthday party, including Laurie Berkner's "Pig On Her Head" and TMBG's "Fibber Island."

Maybe a third of the kids (and parents) sat and listened, sang along, danced around.  The rest of the kids completely ignored me and ran around the yard like maniacs.  So, it was OK, but I don't think I'll start moonlighting as a kids' entertainer or anything.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2007, 03:55:46 pm »

That certainly sounds like a normal ratio for that kind of venue.
Truly.  Any more and people would get suspicious that the Pied Piper of Hamelin had returned and would run you out of town before you lead the kids off to a Crusade.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2007, 06:26:02 pm »

Basically I need to find people who are around my skill level, I guess. Or who are better, but not jerks about it.

If you were near me you could play with me. I'm not around your skill level, because I suck so fiercely. However, I do have a nice basement to play in, including the drum kit we discussed earlier, and my wife is a much more talented musician than I am. She might be around your skill level.

Seriously, every musician I know who isn't a dick says just play and play. I know what you mean, though, because I am really lazy too. I should be playing right now. Instead I'm probably going to play AoE III for about six hours.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2007, 07:08:57 pm »

really? AOE III?

I could never get into it. The guys on my floor and I, however, played AOEII for... ages.

Our longest game was, I think, 3.5 hours. Which means, you know, it ended at around 3 or 4 AM.

Apparently I'm really awesome at age of empires? I can't figure it out. I am not a strategic person, but I always "pwn" them. Possibly because none of them focus on resource gathering enough.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2007, 08:03:23 pm »

Truly.  Any more and people would get suspicious that the Pied Piper of Hamelin had returned and would run you out of town before you lead the kids off to a Crusade.

A crusade?  Is that what we think he did with them?  When I was a kid I thought he took them to live in a chocolate mountain paradise.  And as an adult I thought he just, you know... molested them and killed them, all while reassuring them that soon they'd get to the chocolate mountain paradise, soon.
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2007, 04:22:33 am »

really? AOE III?

I could never get into it. The guys on my floor and I, however, played AOEII for... ages.

Our longest game was, I think, 3.5 hours. Which means, you know, it ended at around 3 or 4 AM.

Apparently I'm really awesome at age of empires? I can't figure it out. I am not a strategic person, but I always "pwn" them. Possibly because none of them focus on resource gathering enough.

I . . . just bought it yesterday. This is how far behind my life is, people. This is why I am never here.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: play an instrument?
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2007, 06:34:48 am »

oh, no. I was just showing astonishment that you will play it for that long. I found out that my brother had it over spring break and played it for about an hour before I stopped. And uninstalled it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up