so. now I am doing this thing where I bought it, and I am freaking out that maybe I don't like it. I always do this with things I buy... so it's hard to tell whether I really like it, or not. The variety of settings is overwhelming, and it doesn't seem to like my big muff (granted, the muff was acting up with the old amp lately... I figured it was old batteries though. Yes, I replaced them.)
edit:
idiot move #1: let the guy sell me the floor model for full price (granted, today was a sale, 10% off... but still.)
idiot move #2: got talked into a store warranty. Apparently this is a huge waste of money, and for some reason no one thought to tell me this.
edit 2:
Um... they didn't take 10% off?
I think I may go back tomorrow and talk to this fellow.
OK, first things first.
Play around with the amp. And USE THE MANUAL. Or did you not get one, since it was a floor model?
Here is a pdf of the manual, just in case. This is a modeling amp, which means you have more control over the settings than you might even want, especially for a beginner.
Here is a page that may look daunting to you at first, but if you scroll about halfway down, under the heading
Amps Modelled, and Tone Stack Placement for each Amp Type, you will find a table of what amps it offers. You might want to read the whole thing.
Your amp is modeling amp with a tube in it. In my experience with modeling amps, distortion pedals freak them right the fuck out. A straight tube amp will accept the distorted signal and know what to do with. Modeling amps just sometimes go berserk. Even though the amp has a tube in it, the brain is still software.
Try the Big Muff with the "Black 2x12" setting. This setting models a blackface Fender Twin Reverb, the best clean-sounding amp. Then try it with the "Tweed 4x10" and "AC-15TB" settings. If your pedal doesn't sound good with any of these, you either needs to give up on the pedal or the amp.
Do not EVER GET A STORE WARRANTY WITH ANYTHING. It is a scam designed to divest you of your money.
Did you buy this thing at a fuck*ng Guitar Center? It would not surprise me. You will never find a more wretched hive of clueless douchebags who don't know jackshit about the equipment they're foisting on you. You must be cautious.
Spend a day and really put the amp through its paces. If you're still uncertain about how happy you are with it, TAKE IT BACK TO THE STORE WITH THE RECEIPT AND GET EVERY PENNY OF YOUR MONEY BACK. ASAP. Take your father with you, since he gave you a chunk of the money himself, and have him be the bad cop. The clueless douchebag who sold it to you will be more likely to defer to an angry dad than an angry teenager. So let him be the villain, and you just be sweetness and light: oh
, it just isn't what I'm looking for; I'll spend my money on something else in your store, I just need to do a little more research, etc. etc.
If you do pursue this course, when you're hunting for the next amp,
use this page as a guide. Reading the opinions of other amp owners is a big plus.
Hope this helps.