Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Magical Fruit...  (Read 7481 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The Magical Fruit...
« on: February 21, 2006, 03:44:31 am »

Calling all foodies:

I have a growing interest in beans, and the overall incorporation of them into my eating.  That said, I hate the taste of canned beans, especially chickpeas - the canned variety are so foul to me, and also I can't eat soybeans/tofu/etc. because they counteract my meds.

Anyway, I am interested in any actually tasty meatless bean-related recipes.  I am specifically seeking out a good black bean dip recipe, but would be interested in anything you all deem tasty.  I brought home a big bag of black beans, and another of garbanzos and they are sitting in the cupboard expectantly.  Can you help a sister out?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 03:48:53 am »

the beans episode of Good Eats would be my first suggestion
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 05:20:49 am »

Between Houston and San Antonio lies the little town of Weimer.  Weimer is the home of Kasper's Meat Market.  Kaspers makes the best sausage on the planet.  This sausage is like treasure, it's so good.  Whenever I pass through Weimer I gotta stop at Kaspers.  Commuting between Houston and San Antonio these past two months have given me a lot of opportunity to stop at Kaspers.  So much in fact that I have had to cut back on Kaspers  lest I throw my diet straight out the window.  So I'm putting sausage in every recipe I can think of, Sausage and Peppers, Sausage and Saurkraut, Sausage and Turkey Spaghetti (twice), and of course the old stalwart, pinto beans and sausage.  I'd show you what the beans and sausage looked like, but apparently only the saurkraut and the sausage with peppers were deemed photogenic.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 05:24:10 am »

That sauerkraut looks delicious.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 01:06:02 pm »

Must the recipes be absolutely meatless?  Because split pea soup is really good but it MUST be flavored with some ham or other smoked meat product.  Yellow split peas are good in it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 03:18:29 pm »

I like this black bean dip right here.  The bacon makes it better, but you could leave that out if you wanted.

I have a black bean chili recipe at home.  In my opinion, it's not that great, but then I like the meats in my chili.  I can post it later if you're interested.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 03:33:51 pm »

I avoid beans. I don't like the texture of them, and I do just fine farting on my own, thank you.

I'm anti-bean to the point of only eating beanless chili.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 05:01:10 pm »

I avoid beans. I don't like the texture of them, and I do just fine farting on my own, thank you.

I'm anti-bean to the point of only eating beanless chili.

Who would put beans in chili? That's just cruel.

I can eat hummus, falafel, and some dal but other than that beans best stay out my way. Jelly beans used to get a free pass but too many gross flavors like licorice and popcorn have ruined it for everybody.
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 05:07:21 pm »

Who *wouldn't* put beans in chili!?  All you "meat only" purists are weirdos - chili was made for beans, and vice versa.

As for other types of beans, I've rarely met a bean I didn't like - the exception being fava beans, which taste, in a blind consensus conducted between me and my mother a few years ago, "exactly like feet."

Black beans are definitely a good option, followed by pinto, navy, and all them other beans.  Man, I think I need to make some kind of bean soup for dinner tonight.  That's what you people have done to me.

If I come across a good black bean dip recipe, I'll be sure to relay it.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 05:09:45 pm »

As for other types of beans, I've rarely met a bean I didn't like - the exception being fava beans, which taste, in a blind consensus conducted between me and my mother a few years ago, "exactly like feet."


Now I'm picturing your mother and yourself randomly eating fava beans and licking feet to confirm this.  Thank you for this horrible image, thank you so much.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 05:17:47 pm »

I love beans in all their forms and permutations.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 05:21:49 pm »

Now I'm picturing your mother and yourself randomly eating fava beans and licking feet to confirm this.  Thank you for this horrible image, thank you so much.

Q, just to clarify and make your vision that much better: it was each other's feet. And they spent a lot more time on the feet than the beans.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 05:22:36 pm »

Were you going for Magical Fruit like Jack in the Beanstalk or did you mean to write Musical Fruit?  I mean because Jack had the magic beans, but beans are the Musical Fruit.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 05:24:51 pm »

Q, just to clarify and make your vision that much better: it was each other's feet. And they spent a lot more time on the feet than the beans.

Great now there's honey involved and giggling... and OH MY GOD THE GIANTS ANTS!  THE HORROR! THE HORROR!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 05:28:53 pm »

Black beans and rice is simple and outstanding. I may be biased with my Cubano blood though. If you want a good recipe I can probably get it from my grandmother or mom.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up