Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that  (Read 9518 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 02:08:49 pm »

"Ray wouldn't roll with guys like that" confused me. Doesn't Teodor realize that in the GOF, you don't really get to PICK the guys you roll with? It just happens and if you're rolling with anybody, you're lucky.

This is setting up Teodor's realization that Beef is in the fight also. The entire implied quote is "Ray wouldn't roll with guys like that ... but Roast Beef would." That's why he also questions the "best mate" line.

I wonder if his 2nd monitor is still showing Ray's machine.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 02:15:42 pm »

I wonder if his 2nd monitor is still showing Ray's machine.

Oh, now you're just CortJstring for the hell of it!

Not that we don't love you for it, of course.
Logged

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 03:10:20 pm »

1. Collect dudes who gripe about video games, blog on Blackberries and enjoy punk music.
2. ?
3. Win the GOF!


Huh?
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 03:14:58 pm »

1. Collect dudes who gripe about video games, blog on Blackberries and enjoy punk music.
2. ?
3. Win the GOF!


Huh?

Exactly.  But the more interesting thing to me is, the more people Ray gets on his side, the more people he's going to have to turn on in the end, right?  There can be only one, and all that?

We all expect the Ray/Beef showdown (though secretly I suspect a maudlin handshake and a "Let's call it a tie!"), but it's hard to imagine what might happen when/if everyone else is down and it's just Ray and the Carnage Club and all of a sudden it's man time, and he's got to come real.

It'll be an interesting strip that day.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

EgoSumNoah

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 03:21:31 pm »

We all expect the Ray/Beef showdown (though secretly I suspect a maudlin handshake and a "Let's call it a tie!"), but it's hard to imagine what might happen when/if everyone else is down and it's just Ray and the Carnage Club and all of a sudden it's man time, and he's got to come real.

It'll be an interesting strip that day.

Word.

As for today's strip though, it would have been nice if it told a joke. Since that's what comic strips are supposed to do.
Logged
I am Jack, the Pumpkin King

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 03:48:19 pm »

It's not exactly uncommon for an Achewood strip to not tell a joke.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 04:16:04 pm »

Loved the Arsenal reference muchly. You really can find people in England who will bond together just to argue over football. The fight seems like the perfect place for football hooligans; I'd bet the whole Millwall team are actually participating. What a coincidence that Alan Smith's leg broke the other day. Maybe John Arne Riise was having his own little Great Outdoor Fight. (If none of this makes sense, research it all at once.)

Strip was half-disappointing. More action would have been nice, but then again I'd complain if I did not see any of the other characters during this arc. How fickle.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 04:17:19 pm »

Does anyone else feel like Beef, in his apparent GOF omniscience, might have deliberately recruited Leander and Feckless Ted because he knew their affiliations would give the Stubbs Army a flock of expendable mooks to deploy?
Logged

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 04:24:32 pm »

I have very little doubt of it.

behka

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 05:20:03 pm »

The fight seems like the perfect place for football hooligans; I'd bet the whole Millwall team are actually participating.

"have you heard this chant? millwall, millwall, you're all really dreadful... and all your girlfriends are unfullfilled and alienated.."
Logged
To you, I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the loyal opposition. - Woody Allen, Stardust Memories

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 05:26:07 pm »

The fight seems like the perfect place for football hooligans; I'd bet the whole Millwall team are actually participating.

"have you heard this chant? millwall, millwall, you're all really dreadful... and all your girlfriends are unfullfilled and alienated.."

Oh, hell yes.

Can't forget the old classics:
''You're shit! And you know it! You're shit! And you know it!'' - Generic insult
''The referee's a wanker! The referee's a wanker!'' - Guess.
''You're just a small town in Oxford! You're just a small town in Oxford!'' - Swindon insult, which makes no sense as Swindon is most definitely not in either Oxford or Oxfordshire.
''E I E I E I O, up the football league we go!'' Any team looking for promotion. Next year, they are demoted without fail.

I'd say some nice chants, but they're a bit boring.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 05:42:04 pm »

It's possible I'm just lumping together anything even vaguely British, because his blog even reminded me of an early Benjamin Disraeli novel.

Awesome.  Thank you for making the History nerd in me cackle at the juxtaposition of a Victorian PM with a blogging British cat.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 07:41:18 pm »

Awesome.  Thank you for making the History nerd in me cackle at the juxtaposition of a Victorian PM with a blogging British cat.

I read this at first as "Victorian private message" and assumed it was yet another bit of risque slang that I was unfamiliar with.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2006, 09:22:00 pm »

Victorian Private Message:

From M_____ Queue

Dearest Womby, I have left you this wax sealed letter written in my finest script in your secret mailbox out behind the cottage we share with Uncle.

I certainly hope he does not stumble out as he did the evening prior and drunkenly labor over our hides with the belt.  I am, of course, beside myself with fear that he may yet find our hiding place and thereupon lay us about the face and tender spots; enjoying himself most longly.

Yours In Fear,

M______ Queue
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Mr. Chord

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 24
  • Cheshire smirk
    • View Profile
Re: 02-21-06 Ray Wouldn't Roll with guys like that
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2006, 10:14:33 pm »

Gotta be honest, this new arc ain't doing much for me. I dig me some Ray, but not when he becomes the default character for all things badass. He and Beef are way out of character, and I'm shocked to see a fight like this with nary a Lyle or Todd in sight.

Besides, some of the punchlines (Beef's aphorism on dodgeball, etc.) just don't fit Achewood's feel. Not like this. Pointing out that the kids picked last in dodgeball are violatile is too mundane a joke for Mr. Onstad.

Of course, this strip is free. So I'm not losing sleep over this.

That being said, I seem to remember haunting these forums a day or so ago and noting some folks here clamoring for a strip that would deal with the other characters' responding to Ray and Beef.

Ah, yes - here.

And then, it occurs.

So could you all use your influencing powers on Mr. Onstad to have Lie Bot appear? I am contemplating a Lie Bot tattoo, and the more I see him, the more it wears down on my concerns that I would someday regret a Lie Bot tattoo.

Logged
---

I had to get out of there. I took the stairs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up