Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob  (Read 26854 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2006, 06:45:55 pm »

I dunno. Ray was in The Dude Has Got No Mercy. He could easily out dance Beef.

But Ray was only doing Underground Street Dancing, maybe the dolphin burns imply Breakdancing though.  So confounding.

Anyway I imagine beef, being the board of directors to Ray's CEO of HissingRayCorp, would fight the other side's First Mate before he ever had to face Ray.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2006, 06:48:11 pm »

Jough, what do i pay to change my name to "Honky Tonk Hooker"?

Oh, I'll think of something...

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2006, 06:51:33 pm »

I'm jumping on this topic a wee bit late for sure, but this was an awesome strip. I kind of thought Ray had met his maker for a minute there, but then the pounce! and the face rip! It was bloody fantastic, that's what it was.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

HonkyTonkHooker

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2006, 06:58:29 pm »

"I never wanted you to look for that ability in yourself"

another newbie signing up.

Ray will eat his face
Logged

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2006, 07:06:04 pm »

"I never wanted you to look for that ability in yourself"

another newbie signing up.

Ray will eat his face

Oh man, you stole the name beatrice stated she was going to use. I don't know about that....
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

Shazbut

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2006, 07:09:24 pm »

I know others have already expressed concerns, so I'll just express them a little bit louder way down into the 5th page when people are no longer reading:

I'm half-thinking of giving up reading this strip on a regular basis. I just can't accept that Ray would rip off a man's face. Beef appears to be slowly changing from a sensitive and bright loser to a secure and even charismatic human being, which is far less interesting but at least plausable. Ray is (was) a lovable buffoon who takes life easy and has now done....that....in the last panel of this strip.

We talk about the wild inconsistencies in these characters as if it's a good thing: that they're complex people. In reality, I'm starting to believe Onstad doesn't give a damn about any sort of continuity. Perhaps he really has to think hard for story ideas.

Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2006, 07:12:10 pm »

I know others have already expressed concerns, so I'll just express them a little bit louder way down into the 5th page when people are no longer reading:

I'm half-thinking of giving up reading this strip on a regular basis. I just can't accept that Ray would rip off a man's face. Beef appears to be slowly changing from a sensitive and bright loser to a secure and even charismatic human being, which is far less interesting but at least plausable. Ray is (was) a lovable buffoon who takes life easy and has now done....that....in the last panel of this strip.

We talk about the wild inconsistencies in these characters as if it's a good thing: that they're complex people. In reality, I'm starting to believe Onstad doesn't give a damn about any sort of continuity. Perhaps he really has to think hard for story ideas.

I'd look somewhere else for complexity. May I suggest the Nate Small series, with it's echoes of Classical Literature? I know I guy you can have maximum intellectual cuddles with.

Why, if I were you, I'd ask for double my money back! The nerve of some artists!

<><><><>

Also, I think Son of Rodney is building a brand here. Remember how Envelope Martinez 'lost a fight" and had "part of his face eaten"?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 07:16:06 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2006, 07:15:40 pm »

I'm a fairly strong believer that Onstad actively dislikes continuity. It's harder to be funny if you have to worry about how Bono could have a feline butler and why Mr. Bear was unfamilar with bourbon despite being very worldly and snobbish. When's the last time Beef sent an e-mail from his spinal internet connection? And is his mom the kind of person who checks her e-mail anyway?

Whenever you notice something like this, a wizard did it.
Logged

Shazbut

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2006, 07:23:34 pm »

Why did I lose a can of Dr Pepper? Oh well, I don't understand the whole system here anyway.

For God's sake, Onstad's human isn't he? I'm not even slightly angry or sad that Achewood's inconsistency is getting to me, if I'm losing interest in the strip, I'm losing interest in the strip. I don't care. I'll read something else.

Was it offensive of me to express that? Apparently so. Sorry.

Quote
Quote from CortJstr
I'm a fairly strong believer that Onstad actively dislikes continuity. It's harder to be funny if you have to worry about how Bono could have a feline butler and why Mr. Bear was unfamilar with bourbon despite being very worldly and snobbish.

I guess you're right. Viewed in this way, I can let a little continuity slip for the sake of imagination.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 07:27:07 pm by Shazbut »
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2006, 07:25:50 pm »

Why did I lose a can of Dr Pepper? Oh well, I don't understand the whole system here anyway.

For God's sake, Onstad's human isn't he? I'm not even slightly angry or sad that Achewood's inconsistency is getting to me, if I'm losing interest in the strip, I'm losing interest in the strip. I don't care. I'll read something else.

Was it offensive of me to express that? Apparently so. Sorry.

In the IRC chats at least one person has admitted to taking cans randomly in order to make himself feel like a big man. I'm guessing there's at least one or two that like to haze newbies via can removal as well.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2006, 07:27:12 pm »

In the IRC chats at least one person has admitted to taking cans randomly in order to make himself feel like a big man. I'm guessing there's at least one or two that like to haze newbies via can removal as well.

See Also:

People can be dicks.  Welcome to the World.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2006, 07:33:56 pm »

People, they're imaginary cans. If it makes you feel better, ignore the minus sign.
Logged

Shazbut

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2006, 07:34:51 pm »

Ah right. Thanks for the help all :)

If it's any consolation, I also think the GOF is the most interesting dramatic arc in the strip's history.

EDIT: I've lost 2! Lol.

TAKE 20!!! GO ON!!
Logged

EgoSumNoah

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2006, 07:45:12 pm »

I'm a fairly strong believer that Onstad actively dislikes continuity.

It's true.

We talk about the wild inconsistencies in these characters as if it's a good thing: that they're complex people. In reality, I'm starting to believe Onstad doesn't give a damn about any sort of continuity. Perhaps he really has to think hard for story ideas.

From Onstad's interviews, it sounds like a lot of work making new, awesome things happen every day. I'd guess that's why Toothpaste for Dinner is only funny half the time (but what a half). Some of these arcs are great, but I suspect that in part they exist to take some pressure off of the artist. The GOF arc stands out in several ways: 1) people dig fighting, 2) Onstad can focus more on the art, and 3) it takes some pressure off the dialogue. This arc has a fairly clear trajectory (at least to it's writer), and probably gives the author a breather from the wit. Don't get me wrong, "Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob" deserves a two page spread in the OED with color pictures and maybe a tear-out poster, but there's generally less talking.

I think Ray's gonna die. And not come back right away. Like how after Hercules had kicked everyone's ass, and there were no unkicked asses left, he got taken out by a major Goddess and went to redden asses in Hades.
Logged
I am Jack, the Pumpkin King

littlefox

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 76
    • View Profile
Re: 22 February 2006 - Honky-Tonk-Style Blowjob
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2006, 08:11:58 pm »

Shazbut, I took a can, because the discussion forum isn't the place to whine. Yes, we know Onstad's human. I'm here because I bloody LOVE this comic. If you don't like it, why did you even register an account to say so? It's a waste. I used to like PvP and now I think it's gone down the tubes. Do you see me registering an acct on their forums? No. A personal e-mail to Scott (or, in your case, Onstad) would be more sensical.

THAT SAID. Onstad probably has the awesomest continuity ever, in some ways. Sure, the events of the strip are random and nonsensical, but the man writes in-character blogs for all the main characters. He's more familiar with his characters' personalities than the average webcomic writer.

I think this strip reveals something that was inside of Ray all this time; we just didn't see it.
I don't think I'll have any problem going back to "ordinary" Ray after this, though. A man can be brave enough to rip off another man's face, but still be from history ( http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01272005 ). That does not unnerve me.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up