I'd like to talk, if I may, for a second about the ramifications of the GOF story arc - specifically, what Onstad is doing to Ray as a character. I'm pondering how to address Achewood in a scholarly-type paper thing, and I have this sort of thing on the brain.
I wonder if I'm the only one a little... I don't know... concerned about what's going on with Son of Rodney. Ray in the beginning was one of the Dirtiest Dudes In Town, the one who'd mix vodka up for Philippe. A bit crass, but harmless. It wasn't until Onstad started to develop the backstory of the characters that Ray took on the primary traits of his character: dumb luck, ego (as opposed to Pat's hubris and eternally in contrast with Beef's self-deprecation), and a basically happy-go-lucky attitude in life. He owns forty-foot long #####, ate half a piece of paper on accident, and wears a crown whenever he gets laid. Nowhere has violence factored into it. Ray is not a violent man. Ray. Is. Not. A. Violent. Man.{1}
But now, the GOF. Sure, he's been inspired by the revelation that Rodney Stubbs was his dad. There appears to be some kind of need to connect with his dad on that level. Is Ray's life that empty that he seeks to change himself into the cold-hearted killer his dad was? Is Ray READY for this? The GOF does not last forever. It lasts for three days. If there's not some kind of shake down afterwards, some moment of "What The Hell Just Happened To Me?," it will be a serious weakness in the way this strip is put together. In short, I'll be hell of insulted as a reader if the day after Onstad tacks the "Fin." in the lower right corner, the strip shows Ray sitting at the pool with a Ketel One, laughing at how drunk Lyle is or how fat Todd got. There needs to be some kind of decompression period there.
{1} One might point out Ray's demolition of the Honda when he discovered LN's actions, but that is a different thing - he's dismantling a car. He was not violent toward LN himself - in fact, LN was only grounded for "a few hours."