There's something I don't think has been addressed fully which I feel is really important, so here goes.
This is Ray's first real test, guys. He's stumbled through life, at least over the course of the script, with few real troubles. Sure, bizarre things happen to him, but he just moves with them, and often benefits from them. The devil just happened to call him with that piano. He just happened to stumble across that daguerrotype, with no knowledge of what it was. Sometimes he's had hard times - he has been to hell - but it's always been fairly easy for him to navigate back to normalcy. I mean, that may have been the first time he was just cold beaten in the face.
But now it's been revealed to him that he's Son of Rodney, next incarnation of the legendary fighter. What in the goddamn hell does a feline even do with that? Well, I think Ray senses an obligation to live up to his heritage, to finally put himself in a real life-or-death situation. And oh man, has he ever.
And, well, being in an environment like that with no preparation, with a legacy that massive behind you, after a life lead like Ray's, forced to lead (prepared, possibly really brutal) men in the guise of someone you really aren't?
Strange things will happen to a dude, is all I'm sayin'.