Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm PISSED!  (Read 5988 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I'm PISSED!
« on: February 23, 2006, 04:14:44 am »

I rented Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and watched it tonight.

I knew better than to expect it to be good.  My expectations weren't high. 

But FUCK!  That was a foul insult to the memory of Douglas Adams. 

Normally I don't react this way to Hollywood dreck.  So it's bad.  So what.  But the egregious level of suckitude in that movie was just insulting.  Good lord, the story was adapted for radio, TV and novels without being butchered and hacked and the addition of cheesy love-story subplots.

I'm PISSED, I tell you, PISSED!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 04:27:49 am »

By what specifically? Besides the # of arms on Zaphod?
Logged

Mr. Gary

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 04:54:53 am »

I just haven't watched it. I mean, I'm just not really interested.

Douglas Adams wrote some really amazing, bizarre plots, but his real strength was as a wordsmith. You can't film ships that hang in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't. It just won't happen. Well, not without constant narration. The problem lies in the difference between mediums, I guess.

The butchering of the plot and splicing of dialogue is just insult to injury.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 05:17:12 am »

I was just minorly disappointed, not really pissed.

I couldn't believe that it was worse than the TV series, although having said that I actually enjoyed the cheesy production values of the TV series, and the acting was really good.

Anyway, yeah.  Old news for me but a disappointment nonetheless.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 01:34:00 pm »

I just watched it recently too - I think the key is that I approached it with the lowest possible expectations.  As long as the DVD didn't melt in the player and then the player explode and break my TV, I was determined to be happy.

Still, not that great - my least favorite thing ever is when they tack on cheesy love stories because they're marketable.  Also, wasn't the Heart of Gold supposed to look something like a sleek running shoe, not a big eye?  Not a major deal or anything, but, you know.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 01:47:19 pm »

I was just minorly disappointed, not really pissed.

I couldn't believe that it was worse than the TV series, although having said that I actually enjoyed the cheesy production values of the TV series, and the acting was really good.

Anyway, yeah.  Old news for me but a disappointment nonetheless.

Likewise, I kind of enjoy the TV series still. It's not a patch on the radio series or book of course but...
The movie did, well... I can't say disappoint, as I wasn't expecting that much. I knew Rockwell was going to play Zaphod over the top. I knew there was no way Mos Def could work as Ford. I think it's just thr wrong time to try to make it. Maybe if they'd tried twenty years ago it would have turned out to be a better movie, despite the awful special effects it would have had.

*shrug*
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 02:14:23 pm »

I saw this only a month or so ago but it made so little impression I don't even remember the cheesy love story.  Was this the movie where Zaphod Beeblebrox should have had two heads and didn't? And Slartibartfast was pretty OK?  That's about all I'm left with.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 03:46:06 pm »

I agree with pretty much everything said.

I entered this with very low expectations and was (obviously) still disappointed.

Slartibardfast was pretty good.

I liked the TV series.  Sure the production values were bad, but that kind of fit with the spirit of the piece.  Note to movie-makers (and video-game makers too) -- Slicker does not always equal better.

The grafted on love story was abominable, as was the trip to the Vogon planet to save Trillian.

Also, the way that Adams-isms were randomly sprinkled in without relation to the story or coherence.

I dunno, I'm feeling better today but I'm still left with the distinct impression that the movie was something DNA would have been more likely to make fun of rather than embrace.



Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 04:24:06 pm »

The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy was the first movie I ever fell asleep in the cinema watching, and I have had to endure Pokemon, Digimon and many chick flicks. I guess that says a lot about how good it was for me.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 05:39:26 pm »

The best thing about this movie is that, in moments of consternation, my six year old would run around the house yelling "Humma Kavula! Humma Kavula! Humma Kavula!"
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 07:48:14 pm »

That's another thing.  They introduced a new, completely useless character.   There were already dozens of pre-existing completely useless characters they could have used, but NOOOOOO.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 08:33:00 pm »

Huh. What do you know. I rather, uh, liked it.

Went out and bought it, in fact. It's sitting in my computer's DVD drive.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 01:43:54 am »

I'm also on the side of "not really interested, because I don't think DNA's work translates well to film." The reviews I heard were extremely mixed, and it seems the same way in the thread; right now my life is in a continual state of emergency, so this one can wait for a few years, I think.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 10:36:17 pm »

You know, when I heard the movie was coming out, I finally sat down and read the entire series before I would see a movie that could possibly ruin the books for me. The plan was to read the books and have them fresh in my mind when I went to see the film.  I have to say, as I read, I became less and less interested in even seeing the movie, and by the time it came out, I was already done the first three books, and I really didn't want to see it at all anymore.  Now, I just don't care.  I'm so blah about it.  I toy with the idea of renting it, but I know that it would be impossible to be anything but critical about it now...

Also, I finally did see Sideways, and I was "meh" about it too.  Meh.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 10:58:08 pm »

Also, I finally did see Sideways, and I was "meh" about it too.  Meh.

You are so right. And I could have done without (spoiler warning) Thomas Hayden Church's ass.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up