Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm PISSED!  (Read 5983 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006, 12:31:54 am »

I likewise saw the movie with expectations of the lowest order but I was happy enough except for the love subplot. That really hurt didn't it? It just stood out as being totally clumsy and happening for no reason at all. I mean I kind of felt the whole point in the books was that Arthur was so pathetic that he never even had a chance of getting the girl, that's why he was funny. While I'm ranting the guy who played arthur, while good, wasn't quite right for the book character. More bleary eyed and confused than anal retentive englishman and confused. Not that this is necessarily bad, the change in character worked ok, just another way they deviated from the books.

Apart from that I was happy, yeah new useless characters, it's not like they made the plot make any less sense than the other versions and Bill Bailey as the whale was simply brilliance, possibly the most perfect casting ever. The whole point of view gun storyline made no sense and was a really convoluted way to set up Marvin springing everyone at the end (not to mention it drove me nuts trying to remember which book it was they got that idea from, he did it to a tank in the third one whose name I can never remember I think) Also a couple of nice nods to Adams (like Tricia going as Darwin to the fancy dress party).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006, 03:17:32 am »

You are so right. And I could have done without (spoiler warning) Thomas Hayden Church's ass.

Umm, not to mention that fat dude's dick?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2006, 03:39:45 am »

Oh, thank God I wasn't looking that closely...

I have already related somewhere on this messageboard how much I hated that movie, I think, so I will not repeat myself.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2006, 04:34:30 am »

I liked Sideways.  Although I would have traded the view of Thomas Hayden Church's ass for one of Sandra Oh's.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 04:51:04 am »

I love Sideways so I don't really want to say too much here lest I question some of your upbringing, &c.

I gotta go with Aug on Sandra Oh's ass, although we see a goodly portion of her underass area, it wasn't quite enough for my taste.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2006, 09:19:39 am »

The HHG2G movie frustrates me a lot. All the elements are there: a script (mostly) by Adams, decent special effects, a creative team that really did appear to love the matieral, and Alan fuck*ng Rickman as Marvin. But the final product just feels so...empty to me.

I think a big part of it is that Adam's prose just loses so much when people say it outloud. Well, that's not true. It needs to be dry and British, and this movie was mostly American. All the good lines were there. Most of the best guide entries. But they just kind of fell flat as presented in the film.

Another good example is the Whale scene. Funny in the book, just kind of weird in the film.

And Marvin...I love the depressed iPod design, Alan Rickman is who I wanted to play him the second I heard about the movie...but he's just so depressing in the movie. Not like funny depressing, but actual depressing. It's a thin line, but they ended up on the wrong side. His "I've seen it...it's rubbish" line about the Magrathean sunset was one of the first times I've laughed out loud reading a book, but in the movie I barely even noticed it.

Here is what the movie does right: The dolphin song,the whole part on the Vogon homeworld, Slartibartfast (and really most of the stuff on Magrathea), and I actually though the movie's ending was pretty decent. It could have been a lot worse. I think the people who made it really did love and respect the material, but they tried too hard to stick to it (when not deviating from it altogether). I actually liked the added scenes more than the stuff in the book because the added scenes were written for the screen, and seemed to work better. I would have preferred a less faithful movie that was funnier in movie form, if that makes any sense?
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 03:09:56 pm »

I felt it was entertaining but I would've been happier had he finished Salmon of Doubt and/or "fixed" Mostly Harmless like he said he would.
Logged

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006, 03:12:20 am »

I didn't think that the Hitchhiker's Guide movie was bad.  I mean, it's obviously not some high-art cinematic masterpiece, but it was a decent enough movie.  I didn't go into it expecting it to be 100% faithful to the book, since the 1981 BBC TV series wasn't 100% faithful to the book, and the book itself wasn't even 100% faithful to the old radio series (which, of course, predates the book), so I wasn't sitting around wringing my hands about it, and I certainly wasn't disappointed when I actually saw the movie.  In fact, I rather enjoyed it.

I do wonder what the movie might have been like had DNA still been around and had a hand in the production (aside from contributing new concepts and story ideas by way of the  screenplay drafts he wrote before he died), though.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 11:24:08 am »

I actually really liked the end of mostly harmless, I just love the idea of Ford laughing his arse off while the world ends and them all dying becuase of a misunderstood cosmic joke. It's like the forces of boredom and beaurocracy (i.e. the Vogons) win, but it doesn't actually matter becuase everyone else is playing a different game.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 02:58:35 am »

Sandra Oh is hot. She's one of the reasons I love Grey's Anatomy. SHE'S HOT I SAY!
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I'm PISSED!
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2006, 03:53:05 am »

Thomas Haden Church's ass didn't bother me one way or another. I didn't think it was particularly impressive. The heavyset fellow I could have done without, although I did think it was pretty funny.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up