Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain  (Read 17808 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2006, 09:27:41 pm »

What's with the cans of dr pepper?  I am a fan of the drink, and I see that they are some kind of rewards/appreciation system of sorts.  But I haven't seen any way to add/remove them from people.  Does that ability come with a higher post count or something?

And after my first two posts, I got two.  Then I posted again and lost both.  It seems like some people are a bit arbitrary or something such as that.
Logged
~

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2006, 09:28:56 pm »

People are very arbitrary.  You'll be able to give/take cans when you have 25 posts under your belt, but then use your powers wisely.  Until then, try to keep track of this one.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2006, 09:55:24 pm »

Ah, that makes sense then.  Wooo!

/drinks can


whoops
Logged
~

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2006, 09:58:17 pm »

I wonder if there's some kind of built in penalty for posting too many times too quickly as a newbie. Because I've seen a lot of people sign up and go to -6 cans basically immediately.

But as far as I can tell there are no realy penalities for lack of cans. Like on some boards where your karma must be >x to start a new topic or >y to open a poll or something.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2006, 10:12:10 pm »

I wonder if there's some kind of built in penalty for posting too many times too quickly as a newbie. Because I've seen a lot of people sign up and go to -6 cans basically immediately.

But as far as I can tell there are no realy penalities for lack of cans. Like on some boards where your karma must be >x to start a new topic or >y to open a poll or something.

Ooh, that's a good idea.  Charge the noobs a fee to make posts.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2006, 10:12:44 pm »

Does anybody think that is a good idea? I mean, it actually does make sense for some boards, where the average user is an inarticulate fanatic with a broken caps lock key. However, I think that the Achewood boards are generally moron-free, so our karma points are just there more for fun than anything else.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2006, 10:26:39 pm »

However, I think that the Achewood boards are generally moron-free...

Well, almost.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

sOOp

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2006, 10:42:45 pm »

Ooh, that's a good idea.  Charge the noobs a fee to make posts.
But then you'd never get any new people...

...oh, I get it now.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2006, 10:53:56 pm »

But then you'd never get any new people...

...oh, I get it now.

The boards that I've seen use this system let anybody make posts (otherwise how would you raise your karma) but you need 10+ karma to start a new topic
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2006, 11:18:44 pm »

The boards that I've seen use this system let anybody make posts (otherwise how would you raise your karma) but you need 10+ karma to start a new topic

That seems pretty fair, and it would certainly stop the common newbie tactic of starting topics in order to create a name for themselves; even if it's a stupid, inane or all ready exhausted thread. Not pointing fingers at anyone, other than myself.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2006, 11:29:10 pm »

On the other hand, we functioned really well when there was no such thing as a tiny can of Dr Pepper, and since we got them they have served as nothing more than a proxy for people's otherwise seemingly incredible need for external validation from strangers.

I don't really care but I would vote to get rid of them altoghether if that were proposed.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2006, 11:34:38 pm »

Don't take away my external validation from strangers.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2006, 02:00:51 am »

Where else would I get external validation?  Inter-personal interactions?  SOCIETY?!

Oh man, you make a strong point.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2006, 03:36:14 am »

Whenever I need an external validation, I get a handjob from a cheap hooker.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: n00b Attack on Fuck Mountain
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2006, 03:43:11 am »

Whenever I need an external validation, I get a handjob from a cheap hooker.

Hey Ooo.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up