Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg  (Read 14348 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 06:47:46 am »

Three daughters?  And I thought I lived in a henhouse!

I'm very happy for you AD.  Although I understand that they have recently discovered what causes pregnancy. 

I'm sure your housing situation will work out, probably for the better.  Lillies of the field, dude.  Lillies of the field.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 02:49:56 pm »

Congrats AD, I'd chime in with my usual poo-pooing of childbirth as 'the thing so special that everyone can do it' but you are good people and I'm sure you'll do right by your little ones so they grow up with good character and post on a cartoon cat related message board.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2006, 04:56:36 pm »

AlohaDawg is going to get the validation of imaginary people on the internet whether he likes it or not.  Cans for everyone!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 03:19:05 am »

Congrats AD, I'd chime in with my usual poo-pooing of childbirth as 'the thing so special that everyone can do it' but you are good people and I'm sure you'll do right by your little ones so they grow up with good character and post on a cartoon cat related message board.

Well, <I can't>.

OK, so thanks everyone for the wishes, and to all other expectants, of course, best wishes as well. Probably going with the Hawaiian middle name again, so that if it came to pass that we don't live here forever, some of the mana maybe follows the kid around.

Right now, it seems like Abigail, Elizabeth and Rachel are in front but it's months away yet.

J

Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 03:22:01 am »

All lovely names. I like Rachel and Elizabeth a bit more than Abigail, but all three are simple and elegant.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 04:02:58 am »

My favorite name is Tiffany.  I don't understand what it is about it.  Tiffany.  It sounds so nice.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 07:52:12 am »

Abby, Ratch, or Liz.  Hm.

Sometimes I think people forget that kids will pretty much never be called by their given name once they reach some social plateau (school, usually).

A friend of mine named her daughter "Esmerelda" and hates that people call her "Ezzy" now.  What the fuck else do you call someone with a four syllable name?  Elda?  Mer?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 11:25:49 am »

'Smerel'

AD: Now I feel totally a dick and you understand why I try to keep my mouth shut during other people's joyous events. As a gesture of goodwill I believe 'Evey' is a good name, different without sounding stupid or made up, and is short enough that there are relatively few cruel taunts or nicknames that could be devised from it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 02:42:53 pm »


Sometimes I think people forget that kids will pretty much never be called by their given name once they reach some social plateau (school, usually).


But this is why Elizabeth is such a good name.  She can be Liz, Liza, Beth, Betty, she can decide to be Eliza -  even, I work with an Elizabeth who is called Eli.  Or she could be radical and insist that everyone dignify her with all four syllables.

Anyway though that doesn't happen to all names.  My name was never messed with or shortened - I didn't like it, but there was nothing you could really do to it.  I had to wait for the Internet to be called something different.

 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2006, 07:04:48 pm »

But this is why Elizabeth is such a good name.  She can be Liz, Liza, Beth, Betty, she can decide to be Eliza -  even, I work with an Elizabeth who is called Eli.  Or she could be radical and insist that everyone dignify her with all four syllables.

Anyway though that doesn't happen to all names.  My name was never messed with or shortened - I didn't like it, but there was nothing you could really do to it.  I had to wait for the Internet to be called something different.

I think Elisabeth is more elegant and interesting.

I've never had problems with my name being shortened, either.  But I do get called Julie a lot.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2006, 08:42:14 pm »

Yay, a girl!

What about Jasmine?  I imagine there's lots of Jasmines in your local - it's sort of become an adopted Hawian name, but I love that name.

Zoe or Chloe and Raven are all favorites of mine.

I have known a couple of great Abbies in my day, and a couple of really practical Gails, but be prepaired: no teenager will ever want to be called Abigail, so it will be one or the other.   Also, I really like the name Elizabeth because it leaves a lot of options for when the girl grows up: Beth is great, really practical yet cool sounding, also Liz is good, and even though it's long, I still come across a few girls who sill call themselves by the full name.  I'm not a fan of Lizzy though, and "Lizzy" just needs to a avoided.     
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2006, 09:21:27 pm »

so um
Elizabeth is a great name.
But I'm biased. I have a grandmother named Elizabeth, cousins named Lisa and Beth, and a girlfriend named Elizabeth (goes by liz)

so

babies are wonderful. I love them. Don' t listen to the haters.
Congratulations to you and your family.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 12:00:14 am »

Elizabeth has the advantage of relative flexibility of nickname, with a lot of range for personality; that has some value to it. (Inevitably the kid will decide she wants to be called something else, though. I think I badly scandalized my parents when I decided that I wanted to be adressed by my full first name, not the common cutesy shortening, at about age five.)
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2006, 12:14:50 am »

oh me too!
I used to get really really mad when people called me Dan or Danny.

and now my parents are upset, because they've heard my friends calling me Dan.



Until age 9 or 10, my mom thought her name was "Janni" (pronounced... yanni). She then saw her passport, which told her that This was actually a shortening of her middle name (Dejaniera).

Then, when she got her birth certificate, she found out that this wasn't even her middle name. her middle name was her first name. her real first name was the name of some relative.

her parents never told her this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Third Times the Charm AlohaDawg
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2006, 04:49:34 am »

I remember reading somewhere that Elisabeth is the one name in the English language with the most nicknames.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up