Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Late Oscars Thread  (Read 7747 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Late Oscars Thread
« on: March 09, 2006, 04:43:21 pm »

My gf and I have had Crash from Netflix for a while.  I didn't have a whole lot of desire to see it, but when it won Best Picture I figured I ought to watch it as long as we had it.  After having watched it the night before last, I have to ask why the hell it won Best Picture.  I haven't seen all the nominees, but both Capote and Munich were more entertaining movies, and I though Munich did a much better job presenting a complicated issue in a way that made the viewer think. 

All the scenes of racism in Crash seemed straight out of a corporate diversity training video.  My thoughts are summed up well here. 

We watched Hustle & Flow last night, and it was enjoyable, but should have had about half an hour cut out of it.  Munich we loved, and I basically want to be the pipe-smoking clean up dude. 
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 05:47:00 am »

Yeah, Crash is definitely one of the weakest Best Picture winners in recent memory.  It makes Gladiator look like Braveheart.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 05:49:56 am »

Cowboy Sauce should have won, I tell you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 05:53:06 am »

Cowboy Sauce wasn't exactly a strong contender either.  I mean, even Jarhead was a better depiction of two men in love.

It was a strong year for movies, insomuch as there were a lot of very good, but not spectacular, films released.  I don't think anything made last year is really a contender for a "Best Films of the 00s" list though.

Hopefully this year won't suck as badly as it has been so far.  The best film I've seen this year was Turkish. 

Where's P.T. or Wes Anderson when you need them?  Or Fincher?   WHERE THE FUCK IS DAVID FINCHER?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 07:03:53 am »

No, I pretty much have to give it up for the graphic description of butt-sex.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 07:04:21 am »

Yeah, Crash is definitely one of the weakest Best Picture winners in recent memory.  It makes Gladiator look like Braveheart.

so basically what you are saying is Crash was worse than Gladiator and Gladiator was worse than Braveheart

is that what you are saying Jough

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 08:31:09 am »

Yeah, and Braveheart was one that was pretty dang weak as a Best Picture winner back in 1996 when it won.

Of course, I'm still bitter about Forrest Gump beating out Pulp Fiction, so, you know.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 02:21:18 pm »

Hopefully this year won't suck as badly as it has been so far.  The best film I've seen this year was Turkish. 

Where's P.T. or Wes Anderson when you need them?  Or Fincher?   WHERE THE FUCK IS DAVID FINCHER?

Well, we're almost to the end of the dumping period for studio trash.  This year I'm looking forward to Tideland, even though Brothers Grimm was a bit disappointing.  X-Men 3 and Spider-Man 3 are this summer too, aren't they?  I think I'm most looking forward to The Fountain, though. 
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 04:02:38 pm »

Well, we're almost to the end of the dumping period for studio trash.  This year I'm looking forward to Tideland, even though Brothers Grimm was a bit disappointing.  X-Men 3 and Spider-Man 3 are this summer too, aren't they?  I think I'm most looking forward to The Fountain, though. 

X-Men 3 opens a week after Da Vinci Code. I think Spider-Man might be '07 but I'm not sure.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 04:14:00 pm »

Superman Lives is also out this year, but without sounding like a snob I will say now that I doubt any of these mentioned are going to be films for the ages.  I mean, I enjoy a good action sequel like anyone else - and I'll likely see a bunch of them this year - but I'm not going to reflect on how they've touched my soul or anything.

Great films are exhilerating - and it just seems to me that there used to be one at least every other year. Now the best previous years have to offer (Sideways, Lost in Translation, Munich, Adaptation, Lord of the Rings, etc.) don't stack up so well compared to the best films of the 90s.

We still have four years left in the decade.  I'm hoping to see some greatness coming.  It just sucks that we have to wait until the Fall for good movies to come out.

At least I get to catch up on foreign films and classics that I've missed or haven't seen yet.  This week it's "The Deer Hunter" and a Buster Keaton boxed set to keep me busy in the latter category.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 04:15:51 pm »

Funnily, Deer Hunter is a better film than any other referenced in this thread.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 04:17:14 pm »

There are some films that I "save" for when nothing else good is coming out in theatres or on DVD.  THIS IS SUCH A TIME.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 04:29:50 pm »

Funnily, Deer Hunter is a better film than any other referenced in this thread.

That statement will almost always be true.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 04:59:19 pm »

There are some films that I "save" for when nothing else good is coming out in theatres or on DVD.  THIS IS SUCH A TIME.

Honestly, I envy you being able to watch this film for the first time. I don't even know what to compare this to.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 05:26:52 pm »

There are some films that I "save" for when nothing else good is coming out in theatres or on DVD.  THIS IS SUCH A TIME.

Honestly, I envy you being able to watch this film for the first time. I don't even know what to compare this to.

There are a lot of great movies that I haven't seen, but not because I have purposely saved them, I just haven't gotten around to them yet.  There are a lot of great movies.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up