Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Late Oscars Thread  (Read 7739 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2006, 05:07:34 pm »

Is it possible to know you will like a movie in the first frame? In the absolutely first second of the first frame? It is. That was "Capote" to me; as soon as I saw those wheat stalks swaying in the wind I braced myself and thought: "I'm gonna really enjoy this one", and I was right, I loved it, loved it, loved it. It should have won Best Picture if the Oscars weren't dumb.

I haven't seen it yet, but i'm thinking that I know i'll like it already based on the subject matter, the lead actor, the reviews by critics I trust.  But sometimes you get a feeling from the first frame that you are in for a good movie viewing experience. 

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2006, 05:09:03 am »

Capote was shot right here in Winnipeg (and out lying areas) last year.  All the courtroom exteriors are actually on the outside of the Manitoba Legislature building.  Many of my coworkers and actors I directed had bit parts in it that were left on the cutting room floor.  One of my coworkers had a scene between herself and Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and several other scenes - she played the mother of the girl who finds the murder victims.  It makes sense that it was cut, but I'm hoping the DVD will have the scene on it.  One of the actors I worked with recently is still in it in a non-speaking role during the bar/party scenes.

I actually found it pretty boring, which is surprising, since I love Phillip Seymour Hoffman so much.

Crash was like Magnolia with racism.

I do want to see Walk the Line when I get the chance.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2006, 06:45:21 am »

I've had two separate and different people tell me I look like Phillip Seymour Hoffman.  I'm almost certain that I'm flattered.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2006, 03:14:57 pm »


I do want to see Walk the Line when I get the chance.

I am sort of ambivalent about that, and I figured I would really enjoy it. It was interesting, but just not as satisfactory as I expected. I liked the sangin'.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2006, 03:33:54 pm »

I dunno Auggie.  

When you see Philip Seymour Hoffman in interviews he is a fairly attractive man, but in his films, he is mostly unnattractive and not at all likable.  I mean Happiness?  Boogie Nights?  He played two of the most unnattractive characters to grace the screen in my opinon, and I just want him to take a shower so bad.  

But yes, I have seen photos of you, and you do sort of look like Phillip Seymour Hoffman - the actor.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2006, 07:21:40 pm »

I've had two separate and different people tell me I look like Phillip Seymour Hoffman.  I'm almost certain that I'm flattered.

Paticularly if they are talking about "Boogie Nights". Do you actually <own> shorts like that, Aug?
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2006, 08:31:37 pm »

Paticularly if they are talking about "Boogie Nights". Do you actually <own> shorts like that, Aug?

Oh man, I am all about imagining all the guys on this board wearing tiny ill fitting shorts like those, and possibly sipping from tiny cans of Dr. Pepper.

(fixed link - w)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 08:46:45 pm by wombat »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2006, 08:34:28 pm »

I wish that had turned out differently, S_S.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2006, 08:37:22 pm »

Paticularly if they are talking about "Boogie Nights". Do you actually <own> shorts like that, Aug?

I haven't seen the film, so I don't know.  Although probably not.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Late Oscars Thread
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2006, 09:37:29 pm »

I have been searching for a photo of PSH as Scotty in Boogie Nights in the tiny shorts, to no avail!  To no avail!  You'd think if someone wins a Best Actor Oscar that there'd be some pretty comprehensive fan sites out there, but from what I see there's only a couple out-dated ones.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up