Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Sociology 101  (Read 16348 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Sociology 101
« on: March 15, 2006, 06:07:56 am »

Chocolate babies!

People they are called Negroes and Negresses respectively.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 04:09:43 am by AugustWest »
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 08:06:08 am »

Then she gets over it because it's 2026 and that's when the cyborgs start to invade.  And they're knocking on her door.

Happy Birthday Kid.  I hope those Cyborgs don't get you.

Haven't you heard?  The Cylons look like people now.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 01:44:32 pm »

People they are called Negroes and Negresses respectively.

I recently sent an e-mail to my friends letting them know how I was doing up here in Utah.  One of the things I wrote was that I had only seen one negro in Utah and he's a guy from Louisiana that works on the job.  Both of the umm, African Americans that recieved the e-mail wrote back to tell me that was unacceptable language.  I had no idea.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 02:54:22 pm »

I recently sent an e-mail to my friends letting them know how I was doing up here in Utah.  One of the things I wrote was that I had only seen one negro in Utah and he's a guy from Louisiana that works on the job.  Both of the umm, African Americans that recieved the e-mail wrote back to tell me that was unacceptable language.  I had no idea.

~Paul

I thought that was pretty common knowledge. What I don't understand is the continued persistence of these atavisms such as the NAACP ("colored people") or the United Negro College Fund.

If the term becomes offensive, fine, but do a clean sweep of all the offending instances.
Logged

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 03:50:07 pm »

Onstad's baby is well costumed - good to see he's enforcing those gender roles early.

I consider myself progressive and not-into-gender-stereotyping and all that.  We had our first child recently, a girl, and her room is green and we dress her in many different types of funky clothes with various colors, including blue.  But one thing I have learned since becoming the father to a daughter...despite myself, she is incredibly super-cute in pink.  Have I bought into the patriarchy?  Perhaps, but she's damn cute.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 04:10:20 pm »

MSC!  It's been a while!

I am glad to hear your wee one has funky-fresh stylz.  Indeed, perhaps the only thing cuter than a baby/toddler girl dressed as a doll, is when a baby/toddler boy is dressed as a mini-man.  I have no doubt that I couldn't resist making my child up like an idot if I had one - the opportunity is too great.  Also, my co-worker brought her newborn son to our office party in January dressed in a little chick one piece affair with a little feather tuft on the bum for a tail - it was so cute it hurt.  Her husband refuses to take the boy out if he is dressed in said chick suit.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 08:51:54 pm »

Um, "negro" isn't offensive.  It's the name of the race from which African Americans (or African Canadians, or whatever) are ethnically founded. 

White people are Caucasians (or occidentals).  Black people are negroes.  Chinese people are orientals.  Am I missing something?

Also, I realize that people can choose to be offended by whatever the fuck they want, but people have to understand that YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO NOT BE OFFENDED.

However, I *do* have the right to free speech.  So fuck you, niggaz!

Also, if you use the word to describe yourself, I may choose to use that same word to describe you.

Also, have you EVER met a white person who was offended by being called "white" or "cracker" or "Caucasian" or "whitey" or whatever other names people can throw our way?  Someone called me a "honky" once and I nearly coughed up a lung laughing so hard.  Yeah, I'm white.  And...?

Bottom line: People are morons, no matter what their race, color, or creed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 09:07:57 pm »

This has got to be up there with the most wandered threads in all of board history.  A fine birthday gift for little miss Onstad, indeed.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 03:10:58 am »

The reason white people dont' get offended by that is because it doesn't really mean anything. Around where I live (oh god, I'm going into this mode, oh god stop me), when I hear the word "nigger", it's rarely meant in a very friendly way. That word has a goddamn history. I don't like people using it to describe themselves... but them using it doesn't mean you can use it freely. Some black people calling themselves "niggers" doesn't mean that word has lost its connotations-- language is dependent on context. Not to mention, the person someone might  call a nigger isn't necessarily the person calling himself that. The thing is, for good or ill, that word has far too many connotations to deep issues in this country.

No one is saying they have the right to not be offended. What they're saying is, that word has a history, it's a word that makes people upset, and a word that would be better off dead.

The whole "race" concept is too complicated. A very large number of anthropologists consider it to be largely a cultural distinction, it has no significant genetic basis, etc. I think the real reason it's fallen out of favor is because of its association with white supremacy, eugenics, etc.

Wikipedia says:
 "In the face of these issues, some evolutionary scientists have simply abandoned the concept of race in favor of "population." What distinguishes population from previous groupings of humans by race is that it refers to a breeding population (essential to genetic calculations) and not to a biological taxon. Other evolutionary scientists have abandoned the concept of race in favor of cline (meaning, how the frequency of a trait changes along a geographic gradient). The concepts of population and cline are not, however, mutually exclusive and both are used by many evolutionary scientists.

In the face of this rejection of race by evolutionary scientists, many social scientists have replaced the word race with the word "ethnicity" to refer to self-identifying groups based on beliefs in shared religion, nationality, or race. Moreover, they understood these shared beliefs to mean that religion, nationality, and race itself are social constructs and have no objective basis in the supernatural or natural realm."

But, yeah. I think the reason people are offended by the whole oriental/occidental/negroid thing is because of the social implications, connections with racism, etc. Typically, people saying that some groups are scientifically different has led to saying that these groups are inferior or superior to each other. THis makes people uncomfortable.

As you said. Yes, you're white... so what? It doesn't mean anything to be white. no one is ashamed of being white. No one has ever thought they were inferior for being white, and if they do, they can get over it pretty quickly. As far as we've come on the race issue, people are still going to be sensitive about it. People are just sensitve about some things. Do they have the right to be sensitive? yes. Do they have the right to never be offended? no. Do they have the right to ask that you stop? yes. If someone called me a fatass, and I asked them to stop, they could either keep calling me a fatass, or they could stop. It is, obviously, their right to choose. But if they can choose, what purpose is served by calling me a fatass instead of, say, a man of gravity? Same thing for calling me a skinny little bitch, or a nigger, or a cracker, or whatever. People have the right to say it. That doesn't mean they should.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 03:20:08 am »

also:

side_show, I am the poster child for what happens when your parents try not to make you conform to gender roles.
as a child, I had a doll. A cabbage patch kid. Named Adam.
that is all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 03:24:11 am »

Some shit that motherfuckers absolutely refuse to accept or even understand.

Preach, my friend. I wholeheartedly wish that it would do some good.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 03:25:05 am »

also:

side_show, I am the poster child for what happens when your parents try not to make you conform to gender roles.
as a child, I had a doll. A cabbage patch kid. Named Adam.
that is all.

Heh.. you weren't the only one.  I turned out basically okay.

*looks in mirror*

OH SHIIIIIIIIIT!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Sociology 101
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 04:21:25 am »

My favourite kinds of racists are the "some of my best friends are black!" racists, or even better, the "Oh, is Stanley black?  I didn't notice.  I don't see people in terms of color." racists.  Or the people are all the same racists.  Oh really?

Yeah, people are different.  Not even all white people are the same.  You get some dude from Long Island and some dude from Alabama together and they'll be quite different in terms of culture, language, etc., and that's just two white dudes from the same country!

Hell, get someone from New York City and someone from New York State and their culture is almost completely different.  Television isn't as great an equalizer as we'd imagine it would be. 

So, to reiterate: people are different, no matter what their race, color, or creed.  To pretend that they are not is silly.  You are a silly person for trying to do that.

Also, I'm not sure the ostrich approach to racial epithets is really a healthy or productive one either.  Pretend the word doesn't exist?  Ask people politely not to say it?  Why give it power by making it so sacred we daren't utter it?

Nigger is kind of a funny word anyway.  Say it like, 25 times in a row and it sounds like a children's toy or a breakfast cereal or something.

Also, I admit that I don't even understand the etymology of a lot of racial slurs.  Like Kike?  Where the hell does that come from? 

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Sociology 101
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 04:25:11 am »

Yeah, people are different.  Not even all white people are the same. 


No shit?

Nigger is kind of a funny word anyway.  Say it like, 25 times in a row and it sounds like a children's toy or a breakfast cereal or something.


Just don't do it with any black people around.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Sociology 101
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 04:29:28 am »

The funny thing, both of the black people who called me on the carpet for using that word come from totally different socioeconomic backgrounds, yet they both said almost exactly the same thing.  "what year is it? Paul, you can't say that word in 2006."  Funny, and they don't know each other either.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up