Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please  (Read 11550 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile

or he could just sell it all to Donald Trump.


anyway, I thought today's strip was great.  Given Achewood's history, I'm not predicting anything.

To the naysayers: this kind of things is rougher in serialization than when you go back and read it later.  A week after this arc finishes, go back to whenever Ray almost got diabetes and start reading.  This is Onstad's best work.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

*Warning* n00b-with-a-theory post ...


Thank you. Also, can that warning be madatory whenever it is justified?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

trouserbat

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 25
  • No trilobite, no cry.
    • View Profile

Awww, Ray even puts his arm around Beef (10th panel). I don't think anybody's getting killed, here.

Also, as of yesterday, I have officially gotten a written warning for reading Achewood / TOUAMB too much at work. I'll be drowning my sorrows in tiny cans of Dr. Pepper...  :-[
Logged
Forget what you know about craveless nori!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

Man, some offices just don't have their priorities straight. An Achewoodless employee is a hella depressed employee is an unproductive employee.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile


Also, as of yesterday, I have officially gotten a written warning for reading Achewood / TOUAMB too much at work.

Oooh, is this a first?  Come on, you have to post it here.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

Awww, Ray even puts his arm around Beef (10th panel). I don't think anybody's getting killed, here.

Also, as of yesterday, I have officially gotten a written warning for reading Achewood / TOUAMB too much at work. I'll be drowning my sorrows in tiny cans of Dr. Pepper...  :-[

Suck! Luckily, I'm wireless, so they sort of let it all go around here. I probably can't even open TOUAMB at work on my normal computer.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

trouserbat

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 25
  • No trilobite, no cry.
    • View Profile

Oooh, is this a first?  Come on, you have to post it here.

It doesn't mention either site by name, it just says something about excessive non-work-related computer usage. If it did, I would probably have scanned it by now.

It does say, however, that next time they bring the Jeeps.
Logged
Forget what you know about craveless nori!

teleskiving

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile

I have a horrible feeling that this is going to end with Ray killing his dad.  One way or another I don't think it would too hard for Chris to get Beef out of there and Ramses/Rodney in - Beef didn't even qualify properly - and from that point on it kind of writes itself.  Somebody tell me I'm wrong, please!
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site

I have a horrible feeling that this is going to end with Ray killing his dad.  One way or another I don't think it would too hard for Chris to get Beef out of there and Ramses/Rodney in - Beef didn't even qualify properly - and from that point on it kind of writes itself.  Somebody tell me I'm wrong, please!

Yes, you're most likely wrong.
Logged
ACHIEVE

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records

I have a horrible feeling that this is going to end with Ray killing his dad.  One way or another I don't think it would too hard for Chris to get Beef out of there and Ramses/Rodney in - Beef didn't even qualify properly - and from that point on it kind of writes itself.  Somebody tell me I'm wrong, please!
Yes, you're most likely wrong.

But props on a novel look at the situation. I'm afraid the real GOF winners are the DBZ references in this thread.
Logged
I am older now.

V-Adore

  • Guest

I think that, for a thread that contains a link to Buttlord GT, there have quite simply been too few uses of the phrase "some kind of meat-miracle." It has a lovely concantenation with "the Thomas Edison of handing a guy his ass," doesn't it?

Anyway, I continue to hope for something we haven't even conceived of. Like, I dunno, aliens showing up and Beef dying on the way back to his home planet. Or Japanese interests suddenly interceding and having Ray and Beef fall in the man-love. Whatever.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile

In all the Dragonball discussion, there seems to be an agreement that it sucks, is boring, and has shit for plot.  But then, how the specific jokes?  If it sucks, don't you stop watching before you can poke really pointed fun at it?  Or are people other than me big enough fans of cartoons about people beating each other up that they'll sit through crap, kind of like the way I went to Starwars III even though I knew I was going to feel ripped off at the end.  Clearly the Buttlord guy watched enough of this show to get a good parody out of it.

It's kind of lost on me, as I've never watched Dragonball.  You know...

because it sucks.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

Well, I've noticed some pretty powerful negativity directed at this DragonballZ thing in this thread, but maybe it's the thing where a person likes something because it sucks. I know I've heard that it's pretty popular with the kids, and that seemed to help that Powerpuff (Powderpuff?) dealie a while back.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile

In all the Dragonball discussion, there seems to be an agreement that it sucks, is boring, and has shit for plot.  But then, how the specific jokes?  If it sucks, don't you stop watching before you can poke really pointed fun at it?  Or are people other than me big enough fans of cartoons about people beating each other up that they'll sit through crap, kind of like the way I went to Starwars III even though I knew I was going to feel ripped off at the end.  Clearly the Buttlord guy watched enough of this show to get a good parody out of it.

It's kind of lost on me, as I've never watched Dragonball.  You know...

because it sucks.

In the case of the Buttlord GT guys, I always sort of assumed it was a case of "something they watched when they were kids, and are now sort of kidding around about because it's crappy but they have nostalgia". Dragonball has been on the air for a long time, especially in markets with large Asian populations.

Dragonball also forms an early phase of a lot of anime dorks' fandom. Recently that's undergone a shift (mainly with Cartoon Network picking up other crappy but immensely US-market-viable series that represent the same group's current initial anime exposures) but it's still there. That's why I know most of what I know about it, anyway.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

I've seen the last 10 minutes of about 50 episodes, probably. Just because of when I usually came home from school and the fact that it was on right before Tenchi or Outlaw Star or something in the old Toonami block.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up