Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie  (Read 15041 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2006, 03:14:26 pm »

Oh, I'm sure the cars in Achewood are live traces from photographs, but that makes them no less impressively cleaned-up and made into comic art.

Illustrator is awesome for making vector art out of photographs, especially with the new version.  For instance, this only took about an hour:



(10 cans to the first person to identify the above car)

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2006, 03:18:25 pm »

Oh, I'm sure the cars in Achewood are live traces from photographs, but that makes them no less impressively cleaned-up and made into comic art.

Illustrator is awesome for making vector art out of photographs, especially with the new version.  For instance, this only took about an hour (and most of that time was making sure it would work on a t-shirt):



(10 cans to the first person to identify the above car)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 03:27:10 pm by jough »
Logged

sensate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • View Profile
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2006, 03:24:57 pm »

It's a Bel-Aire...'56?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2006, 03:28:48 pm »

It is a Bel-Aire, but not a '56 (close, though).

Good call.  I figured someone would get that one, but I didn't expect so quickly.

vagittarius

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2006, 03:30:29 pm »

I was going to say 53 Bel-Aire, but am probably wrong. I know nothing of Chevys.
Logged

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2006, 03:36:32 pm »

1955 Bel-Air
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2006, 03:39:04 pm »

born in 1987

The hell?  I got ties older than that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2006, 03:40:11 pm »

Dammit... AW was right!

I hate it when that happens.


You hate it when I'm right?  Dang, that must leave you miserable virtually all of the time.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2006, 03:45:51 pm »

You hate it when I'm right?  Dang, that must leave you miserable virtually all of the time.

Virtually my friend.. only virtually.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

sensate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • View Profile
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2006, 03:49:47 pm »

Woot!

Thanks, Jough. What year is it, anyway?
Logged

sammythemc

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2006, 05:32:32 pm »

I was born in '87 too.

All I can say to this strip is FUCK yes.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2006, 06:16:06 pm »

What I think would have really made this strip would have been if Ray had made the Molotov wick from his thong, leaving him truly in a state of nature (well, below the belt, anyway) to confront whatever wrath this produces from the remaining Jeeps. On the other hand, it being a strip of fabric from the former-honky-tonk-blowjobs-now-cowboy-sauce (the Fight has given us too damn many classic phrases) is also fitting.

Also, thanks to rpwalk for one of the best first posts ever. I approve!
Logged

yotayquiero

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2006, 08:24:00 pm »

Holy crap, of what is that skull made? It is hell of flammable. Brandy alone won't sustain that kind of deathsplosion, especially after two knuckleheads been drinking it down.

Alright, I've been holding off, but I feel I finally have something to contribute:

It's not a skull.  It's a plush toy lashed to the grille. 

For more on the bizarre phenomenon of cute and cuddly stuffed animals lashed to the front of tough men's trucks, see the New York Times article, "They're Soft and Cuddly, So Why Lash Them to the Front of a Truck?"  Here's an excerpt (don't read if you're annoyed by the overly long first post):

Quote
A bear with a prominent grease spot on his little beige nose spends his days wedged behind the bumper guard of an ironworker's pickup in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn. A fuzzy rabbit and a clown, garroted by a bungee cord, slump from the front of a Dodge van in Park Slope. Stewie, the evil baby from ''Family Guy,'' scowls from the grille of a Pepperidge Farm delivery truck in Brooklyn Heights, mold occasionally sprouting from his forehead.

All are soldiers in the tattered, scattered army of the stuffed: mostly discarded toys plucked from the trash and given new if punishing lives on the prows of large motor vehicles, their fluffy white guts flapping from burst seams and going gray in the soot-stream of a thousand exhaust pipes.

Grille-mounted stuffed animals form a compelling yet little-studied aspect of the urban streetscape, a traveling gallery of baldly transgressive public art. The time has come not just to praise them but to ask the big question. Why?

That is, why do a small percentage of trucks and vans have filthy plush toys lashed to their fronts, like prisoners at the mast? Are they someone's idea of a joke? Parking aids? Talismans against summonses?"

By ANDY NEWMAN (NYT) 1762 words
Published: November 13, 2005
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2006, 08:38:33 pm »

It's not a skull.  It's a plush toy lashed to the grille.

I believe you are correct.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2006, 09:24:47 pm »

Mmm...Achewood...how I've missed thee...

Oh but to know that I, too, have been missed...

This strip still makes me happier than all getout...giggly like a schoolgirl...

The big project for school is over and I'm back from Paris and I have returned! Mwahaha! I mean..:)
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up