Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Television Types  (Read 5009 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Television Types
« on: March 21, 2006, 05:50:03 pm »

Which type of television is the best type to buy?  There are so many choices today, Flat Panel, HDTV, Projection, LCD, Plasma, etc...  I am lost.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Television Types
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 05:54:17 pm »

My only advice here is this:  If you don't have ridiculous amounts of money to blow (read $5000+), you'll want to stick with CRT.  If you watch/care about movies or good picture quality, blacks and shadows are important - LCD and Plasmas don't even approach the black resolution of CRTs until they get to the $5000 range.  Even those are noticably worse.

Also, HDTV is key.  Digital, HDMI-compatible, HDTV, otherwise you will be wanting a new TV again within just a few years.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Television Types
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 09:26:42 pm »

Yeah, get a TRUE HD-TV, too.  There are a lot of different types of "HD" but you want one that is 1080p (not 1080i, or 720i, or 720p).

Also, a CRT will give you better picture quality, BUT...

1) They tend to top out at much smaller sizes than flat panels.
2) They're at least as deep as they are wide - so they take up a lot more room.
3) They tend to only come in 4:3 ratios, so expect to view a lot of black bars even while watching regular HD-TV programming, which is often broadcast in widescreen.
4) Large glass tubes are really really heavy.

I'd recommend an LCD widescreen of at least 42".  It'll serve you longer than plasma, the picture will be very very good (think of an LCD monitor, only brighter and with better contrast) and it'll be thinner, lighter (for moving, since you seem to do that a lot), and that widescreen is awesome for watching movies.  I can't go back to a square (4:3) screen anymore.  I just... WON'T.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Television Types
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 09:30:25 pm »

a lot of stuff

Ok, so, perhaps for straight CRT, you'd be right - but rear-projection is the way to go. I've got a 57" CRT rear-projection (larger than most LCD/Plasmas), which is only 18" deep, weighs about 220lbs (but it's big enough for 2 to carry easily, and has wheels), and is 16:9.

I'm going to assume you're talking about straight CRT sets and dismiss it, but CRT projection is still the winner in my book.  LCD/Plasmas are thin and light, buy you pay out the nose for them and the quality is not as good.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: Television Types
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 09:38:21 pm »

Alex's t.v. is nice. I can tell you that much. And I'm not just saying that because he's my SO. I really mean it!

Hi Paul! :)
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Television Types
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 09:42:35 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Television Types
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 09:49:25 pm »

Paul -

Not exactly.  DLP is like LCD in that it is a fixed-pixel technology.  For each point of light on the screen, there is a tiny independent producer of that light.  CRT isn't like that, it doesn't have specific squares to light up, just a luminant phosphor screen.  That generally means smoother edges, but is sometimes (and increasingly, as resolutions get higher) unimportant.

What I'm talking about is:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7196465&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03006&id=1112808997179

Except probably not RCA.  Mine's a Sony, Panasonic makes good ones, as does Mitsubishi.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Television Types
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 09:51:36 pm »

Dude, if you go rear projection then you're negating the advantages of the CRT over LCD - i.e. contrast and brightness.  Nice as your projection CRT may be, it doesn't hold a candle to my LCD in terms of brightness (due to a very bright backlight) and contrast.

Of course, my LCD is very CRT-looking, but wider and flatter.

And re: those links.  Neither of us are talking about those.  The first is DSP, which is somewhere in between plasma and LCD in terms of both quality and price, and the other one's plasma, which is neither an LCD, DSP, or CRT.

HTH.

if you're looking for a bargain, this one is amazing for under $1,000 - it's only 27", but "only" is of course subjective.  It's pretty big if you plan on sitting 8-10' away from it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6998412&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat31800050028&id=1099396524530

This one is awesome:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7345651&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat31800050028&id=1122652695728

but you'll pay for it.

Best Buy doesn't really seem to have as wide a selection on their web site as they do in their stores, for whatever reason. 

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Television Types
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 09:56:07 pm »

I'll be the first to admit that CRT isn't as bright - but the kind of eye-crushing brightness you can get from LCD and plasma is unnecessary.

You're also correct about contrast, which I can't really say anything about.  CRT does have disadvantages, it's just that for me, they're outweighed by advantages - of course, to each his own.  I'm seriously considering making a plasma or LCD my next (smaller, bedroom) TV, but for movies, I'll keep my rear-projection CRT.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Television Types
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 11:52:20 pm »

I don't have a bigscreen HDTV yet, myself, so take that into account when I give you my opinions.  However, I am a geek.

Direct view CRT (same technology TVs have had for years) has a wonderful picture which will be bright and sharp.  Deep blacks will be black, and bright colors will be vivid.  However, they are big, heavy, deep, big, and at 30"+ can have problems with convergence.  Though I love my Trinitrons, I don't think I'll ever buy another over 20".  Burn-in can be a risk if you watch the same channel (with a logo bug) or play the same game a lot on it.  They have the widest viewing angle of any technology.

Projection CRT is not a technology I've ever liked.  Presumably they've gotten better at dealing with the convergence issues they used to have (basically there were three projectors back there, one for each color, and over time they would gradually stop lining up perfectly), but burn-in is still a risk.  They've also gotten better at making black "blacker," but it isn't as good as a direct view CRT.  They are deep, but not as deep as CRTs.

Plasma is a lie.  Do not buy the lie.  They're heavy, use more power than even CRTs, get extremely hot, have very poor contrast which gets worse as they age, and burn-in EXTREMELY easily.  They're also very expensive.  I do not like them, Sam I Am.  They don't have convergence issues, though, and they're viewable from a wider angle than anything but CRT.

LCD direct view, such as computer monitors, is probably the way of the future.  The picture is drop-dead gorgeous, with great brightness and tremendous contrast.  Though they share the same form factor as plasma, they're lighter, cooler, use less power, and have a better picture.  They do have a risk of getting dead (no color at all) or stuck (always red, green, or blue) pixels over time, but in general this is a fabrication problem and that's always getting better.  The risk of dead/stuck pixels also limits their size somewhat.  They have a somewhat narrower view angle than Plasma.  The only thing I don't like is the price, which is rapidly falling, and sometimes it looks too sharp if you're up close and watching standard-def programming from a digital source (DVD or satellite).  The great contrast and sharpness means every compression artifact shows up.

LCD projection (DLP) is my favorite current technology.  Unlike CRT projection, there is just one lamp which projects through a single LCD panel onto the screen, so there are no convergence issues.  Like CRT projection, you lose some contrast, sharpness, and viewing angle.  DLPs are the lightest out there, and though deeper than LCD or plasma are far shallower than either form of CRT.  They're sharp, but not as sharp as LCDs, so standard-def programs actually look better on them (IMO).

One important thing to consider, regardless of technology, is that the CableCard technology (which allows you to get a digital signal without an external box) is changing soon.  CableCard 1.0 doesn't allow for things like live program listing or pay-per-view, and CableCard 2.0 won't be retrofittable.  If you will be using a cable system without a DVR, CableCard 2.0 will (supposedly) allow for the most seamless use of their services.  If you'll be using a dish, a TiVo, or a cable box/DVR combo, CableCard is moot.

jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargon
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Television Types
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 03:45:08 am »

CableCard 2.0 is at least a year away.  It's not even an issue yet.

I can't really recommend DLP because of the lack of sharpness - when in the store you'll usually be able to directly compare DLP and LCD displays and you'll wonder how they ever sell DLP since it looks fuzzy and washed out - then you'll look at the price tag and notice that the DLP display is half the price of the LCD.  Oh.

Lister is right about pretty much everything else there - Plasma is just awful, and what he didn't mention and what no one at the store will tell you is that they burn out and must be pretty much thrown away after as little as 4-5 years, maybe less with heavy use.

The plasma array actually just goes to hell.  You *can* replace them, and I expect a cottage industry rising up, but fuck, man, it's pretty much like replacing an engine in a car.  It's the most expensive part of the device.

LCD will pretty much last until you die (even CRTs fade and darken after a while).

Projection TVs will pretty much always be larger than backlit screens, but will thusly always be darker and not as contrasty.  They're MUCH better now than they used to be, but unless you watch TV in total darkness, you'll always just be looking at the screen and wishing it were brighter.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Television Types
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 04:41:35 am »

LCD projection (DLP) is my favorite current technology.  Unlike CRT projection, there is just one lamp which projects through a single LCD panel onto the screen, so there are no convergence issues.  Like CRT projection, you lose some contrast, sharpness, and viewing angle.  DLPs are the lightest out there, and though deeper than LCD or plasma are far shallower than either form of CRT.  They're sharp, but not as sharp as LCDs, so standard-def programs actually look better on them (IMO).

This is different than what Alex has?

I get that LCD is the best going, but cost wheelbarrows of money.  This is cheaper?  Can you give me an example form the bestbuy site (where I will probbly buy).

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Television Types
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 04:46:09 am »

Holy shit that's a lot of information. I'll have to check this out when I upgrade from my current TV. I hardly ever watch TV anymore, but can you blame me?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Television Types
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 05:02:04 am »

Paul, I don't have any directly useful info on televisions.  However, it might be helpful to those who do if you posted your budget.  It probably makes a difference if you're spending $75 or $7500.  Just guessing.

Also...

Good Lord, it's television.  You're overthinking it.  God Forbid the Full House reruns aren't pristine!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Television Types
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 05:06:00 am »

Yeah, having posted everything that we have in this thread, I got a TV at Best Buy for $90 - it's a 24" Insignia (no name brand) CRT standard def and it looks great.  Can't beat the price.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up