Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: dvorak  (Read 11348 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
dvorak
« on: March 25, 2006, 06:49:55 pm »

guys, you must all learn to type Dvorak.

http://dvzine.org/zine/01-toc.html

do it.

...and if you buy a new keyboard, send me one too.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 07:18:28 pm »

NO.

What problem would this solve? I already type faster than I can think. No point in typing even faster unless someone comes up with a cure for the slow-wittedness first.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: dvorak
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 07:30:13 pm »

avoiding carpal-tunnel and other repetitive stress injuries. typing faster in the situations where you think of what you're going to say before you type. being cool? I don't know. I just thought it was interesting.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: dvorak
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 10:18:55 pm »

Yeah, I already learned how to touch-type using a standard keyboard.  Like wombat, I can type way faster than I can think.  There are no advantages to the Dvorak keyboard that are practical - even if you decided to switch, good luck ever using a computer anywhere else in the world.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: dvorak
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 11:37:54 pm »

It kind of reminds me of the relative failure of Esperanto, to the extent that it seemed like a good idea at the time, but then (almost) no one was willing to become really dedicated to it.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 12:16:53 am »

Oh god, 24 pages preaching devorak? At least chick tracts are usually less than ten.
The fact that I'm going to read them after that outburst is almost certainly the Saddest Thing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: dvorak
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 12:30:00 am »

One time I had rearranged all the keys on my keyboard.  Every key was moved, so no key would produce the correct letter.  A friend that lives down the block showed up for some reason I can't remember and asked to use my computer.  I let him compose an email while I ate a meal.

When I was done, I came into the room and he was like, "Rich, I... I can't use this."

The monitor displayed a scrambled mass of random letters.  It was effin' classic.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 12:34:46 am »

On review I take it all back, the panel of the guy staring at the keyboard about to cry is tragicomic enough to gain my favour. I smell a new avatar.

EDIT: Also the way they all depress themselves by the end of their spiel.

Also: Mr. Software being so depressed by them typing a semi-colon but thrilled that "now he's hitting the same key, but it's an s!"
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 12:39:55 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: dvorak
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 02:36:41 am »

damn, guys. I thought it was cool.

*goes into corner to cry*
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 02:43:39 am »

Don't cry, little guy!  If Doc gets rid of that creepy avatar, you have done a very good thing!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: dvorak
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 03:20:47 am »

The "jumbled mass of letters" thing actually happened to a friend of mine when she appropriated the computer of a Dvorak-using mutual friend (whose keyboard was just remapped QWERTY). "BRIAN! I was Googling something and all that came out was this crap! What's wrong?! ... Stop laughing, Brian! Jesus!"
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 07:43:45 am »

It kind of reminds me of the relative failure of Esperanto, to the extent that it seemed like a good idea at the time, but then (almost) no one was willing to become really dedicated to it.

On the other hand, learning Esperanto doesn't impair your English functionality, while I can see how training yourself on Dvorak could be seriously problematic when trying to touchtype with a QWERTY (i.e. any computer that is not your own). The worst-case scenario with Esperanto is that you feel embarrassed because you could have learned Italian instead in the hopes of going on a Mediterranean vacation.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: dvorak
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 12:24:06 pm »

The "jumbled mass of letters" thing actually happened to a friend of mine when she appropriated the computer of a Dvorak-using mutual friend (whose keyboard was just remapped QWERTY). "BRIAN! I was Googling something and all that came out was this crap! What's wrong?! ... Stop laughing, Brian! Jesus!"

Well, that's just going too far now.  Devilish, really.

...

...

I just realized I have to get a Dvorak keyboard.
Logged
ACHIEVE

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 01:03:35 pm »

The worst-case scenario with Esperanto is that you feel embarrassed because you could have learned Italian instead in the hopes of going on a Mediterranean vacation.

That sums up the problem brilliantly.  There were people who were very dedicated to Esperanto, but they couldn't convince sensible folks to go along with them. Because who wants to learn a language that won't help you take a trip or order in restaurants?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: dvorak
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 04:37:36 pm »

the thing is, it doesn't make you forget how to do QWERTY. it's just an alternative. Also: most computers can easily switch back and forth.

I don't really understand how having a different look to the keyboard matters. if your friend had a Dvorak keyboard, couldn't the person have figured out that the letters were in different places? Or was the issue that it was a normal keyboard, but the computer was set to dvorak?

Anyway, the thing is, the utility of me learning dvorak has no relation to other people's use of it. Other people's keyboard usage does not effect mine. Even if I were the only person in the world to use it, it would still be a benefit to me-- so I really don't see the problem.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up