Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: dvorak  (Read 11357 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 05:05:47 pm »

Let us know how this works out for you.  But please don't become a bitter fuck like the dudes that produced that zine.  That would be the saddest thing.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: dvorak
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 06:47:13 pm »

the thing is, it doesn't make you forget how to do QWERTY. it's just an alternative.

Well, since you're just learning dvorak, a good experiment would be to get some kind of typing software that tests your current WPM and then try again after learning and using dvorak only for a while. 

Quote
I don't really understand how having a different look to the keyboard matters. if your friend had a Dvorak keyboard, couldn't the person have figured out that the letters were in different places? Or was the issue that it was a normal keyboard, but the computer was set to dvorak?

"I'm pressing W, but it keeps printing a B on screen!"

Quote
Anyway, the thing is, the utility of me learning dvorak has no relation to other people's use of it. Other people's keyboard usage does not effect mine. Even if I were the only person in the world to use it, it would still be a benefit to me-- so I really don't see the problem.

There is no problem as long as you always only ever use your own PC.  Me, I can pretty much use any PC in the world and have no problem typing something.  You'd have a bit of a hard time finding a keyboard with a dvorak layout. 

And what benefit is there over Qwerty?  If you already know how to touch-type on a QWERTY layout how is Dvorak faster? 

Also, carpal tunnel comes from repetitive stress.  Switching keyboard layouts will just change the location of the repetition.  The best way to avoid carpal tunnel is to take frequent breaks when typing, and to assume correct typing posture so as to avoid injury.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: dvorak
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2006, 06:57:07 pm »

Despite the assurances of the pamphlet, it would be hell of inconvenient to have to put in time and effort into learning Dvorak, just getting the hang of it, and then realising it will only ever serve me when I am at home on my own computer. Long, boring lunchtimes mean I spend a lot of time on computers at school, and using Qwerty during the day and Dvorak in the evenings would likely result in me being none-too-proficient in two styles, rather than being speedy in one. The same daytime/evening problem goes for people who use computers at work (though I suppose at workplaces everyone has their 'own' computers anyway.)

In a nutshell: No.   
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2006, 07:02:28 pm »

I type about 75 wpm with Qwerty.  Maybe Dvorak would bump me up to 100 wpm.  But I really have no need to increase my typing speed.  The effort to retrain myself isn't worth the benefit of Dvorak's increased efficiency.

If I was learning to touch-type anew, I'd consider it.  But at this point I see little benefit.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: dvorak
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2006, 07:18:54 pm »

the thing that I'm trying to get across: any keyboard can be used to type in Dvorak. When I'm at school, I can just go to the control panel, tell it I want to type in Dvorak, and it will let me. It is not a hard thing to do.

anyway... whatever. I thought it was interesting and worth trying.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: dvorak
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2006, 07:24:27 pm »

the thing that I'm trying to get across: any keyboard can be used to type in Dvorak. When I'm at school, I can just go to the control panel, tell it I want to type in Dvorak, and it will let me. It is not a hard thing to do.

anyway... whatever. I thought it was interesting and worth trying.

They locked the fackin' control panel at our school after everyone in my class decided to invert the peniss, make 'em move real slow and put little dinosaurs where the arrow should be. Pah, they don't know WHAT they're missing now.

I suppose I'm acting like the Upaka to your Buddha, and for that I am sorry. Thanks for trying to enlighten us all!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: dvorak
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2006, 07:26:25 pm »

the thing that I'm trying to get across: any keyboard can be used to type in Dvorak. When I'm at school, I can just go to the control panel, tell it I want to type in Dvorak, and it will let me. It is not a hard thing to do.

anyway... whatever. I thought it was interesting and worth trying.

It's okay, theinevitable; we still love you!  Yes, it is an interesting concept, and if you want to try it out, more power to you.  Thank you for the Education.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: dvorak
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2006, 08:52:41 pm »

judy-- at my school, people figured out how to use DOS to send messages to each other.

it would come up in a little box like it was a message from windows... we used to use it to fuck with computer-illiterate people.

it was great. until one kid sent another kid one saying something about deleting the hard disc, and that kid told the teacher, who told the computer-person of the school, who figured out what we were doing. and blocked it.

yeah, really, I dont care if you  use dvorak or not. I just thought it was cool.

Y'all are welcome for the Education.

an interesting thing I've noticed: I get confused when the letter is on the opposite side from QWERTY. The most common mistake I make is using the correct finger, but on the wrong hand. I guess it's that damn muscle memory.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 09:53:09 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2006, 10:46:00 pm »

Yeah, Dvorak would've been better had we started that way but I don't see us switching any time soon. It's like people that harp on how much better BETA was than VHS when it clearly doesn't matter any more. I guess we'll still have to see how the Blu-Ray debate plays outs.

I've seen a couple of complete keboard redesigns that were supposed to be even better than dvorak, mainly at Think Geek, but it doesn't look like any are for sale any more. There was a qwerty where the board itself was concave on both axes so the keys used by your middle fingers were lower than those for your pinkies so you could keep your fingers in a more natural position. Sounded cool but it cost like $250.

Then there was the abkey that completely changed the form. Explain to me why the U is that friggin' large. Who uses that many U's?

Then of course there's every geek's wet-dream and one of the most anticipated pieces of vaporware from 2005  The Optimus. Every single key is an OLED which can be independently altered in both function and appearance. There's also two columns of user keys by the caps lock, not unlike an old Commodore keyboard in reverse.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: dvorak
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2006, 11:44:38 pm »

cortjstr-- I saw go betty go. (they are on your last.fm thingy)

yeah, that keyboard where you can change every key is basically like heaven.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2006, 11:55:04 pm »

cortjstr-- I saw go betty go. (they are on your last.fm thingy)

yeah, that keyboard where you can change every key is basically like heaven.

eMusic recommended them to me as similar to The Soviettes. They're not nearly as good but still pretty decent.

If you read the follow up posts on the Optimus it's not looking very good. Last I heard they were taking pre-orders (at $100) for a 3 button version that you could keep next to a real keyboard. That's a long was from a full 100+ programmable keys.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: dvorak
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2006, 12:04:11 am »

I don't really understand how having a different look to the keyboard matters. if your friend had a Dvorak keyboard, couldn't the person have figured out that the letters were in different places? Or was the issue that it was a normal keyboard, but the computer was set to dvorak?

Just to clarify, although Jough pretty much got it -- the computer was a laptop with a QWERTY keyboard, so the keys were still labeled in QWERTY orientation, but the computer had been set to interpret with Dvorak. Ergo, there was no external sign of the settings until the computer started spitting out gibberish.

I don't have anything against Dvorak, but I don't really feel like learning it because of something kind of like what Ben mentions -- since it's all just typing, learning Dvorak wouldn't actually increase my capacity for activity at all, and it'd require me to futz with every computer other than mine (or Brian's, I guess). Right now I type as quickly as I need to, and while Dvorak might improve my speed, it just doesn't feel necessary. If I end up going into a typing-intensive field and need higher WPM/protection against RSIs, I'd consider it.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: dvorak
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2006, 02:40:19 am »

ok, now I get it.
I was like: It's a dvorak keyboard set to qwerty? What? what?

Anyway, yeah. I guess the only hope is to get people to learn it when they learn to type.

I dunno, I'm in favor of anything that's different and lets me feel slightly superior. As long as it doesn't make me feel like a jerk.

This will probably end up like when I tried Linux. It lasted... actually, almost a year. I just couldn't figure out how to make my damn wireless network work consistently-- it would stop working after about an hour. Eventually I just got tired of screwing with it. Also: I suddenly got back into playing computer games, and althought it theoretically can work, i couldn't get Neverwinter Nights to work on linux.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2006, 03:48:41 am »

I dunno, I'm in favor of anything that's different and lets me feel slightly superior. As long as it doesn't make me feel like a jerk.

Then Das Keyboard is the product for you.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: dvorak
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2006, 03:56:37 am »

oh my god, that is great.

I'd actually seen that before. But, that is over the line. I don't think I could convince myself that paying 70$ for a keyboard was legit-- it only counts if it's cheap, and has a semi-logical explanation.
"linux is free! it never breaks!"
"dvorak is faster!"
"vintage clothes are more stylish!"
"used vinyl is cheaper than used cds!" (not actually true. I normally just fess up and say it's because I think it's cool.)
"she said she was 18!"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up