Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: dvorak  (Read 11325 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2006, 05:39:12 pm »


I dunno, I'm in favor of anything that's different and lets me feel slightly superior. As long as it doesn't make me feel like a jerk.


You might want to also give some thought to whether it makes you look or act like a jerk. I think a lot of people get irritated with people who like to feel 'slightly superior'. You're gonna have to get a job sometime....

Also, how does this work when the keyboard market is worldwide? The story of this entire 'movement' is fo rme summed up by the little picture of a Mac in one of the frames of the comic.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 06:04:38 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: dvorak
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2006, 11:22:48 pm »

hm. I dunno. I'm just using my normal keyboard. my computer is a laptop, so, buying a keyboard seems silly.

also: I believe that I am generally concieved as acting like a non-jerk. Mostly because I keep my pretensions to myself. (also, most of those things got old after like a week. when you're a teenager, you can get away with this.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: dvorak
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2006, 11:50:16 pm »

I've always been baffled by the crap on ThinkGeek. Do people really buy it? Like, seriously? I'll confess that I was tempted to buy my weird RenFesty friend the pocketwatch with a little Stonehenge replica inside once, but damn, seriously?

Also, is looking at the keys really what keeps people's typing slow? I mean, I'm not an uberfast typist (sorry, can't be bothered with the umlaut -- I'm a plebe) and I never have to look at the keyboard to tell me where a key is. Is this really a huge issue for anyone who can touch-type reliably?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2006, 02:24:53 am »

I've always been baffled by the crap on ThinkGeek. Do people really buy it? Like, seriously? I'll confess that I was tempted to buy my weird RenFesty friend the pocketwatch with a little Stonehenge replica inside once, but damn, seriously?

Also, is looking at the keys really what keeps people's typing slow? I mean, I'm not an uberfast typist (sorry, can't be bothered with the umlaut -- I'm a plebe) and I never have to look at the keyboard to tell me where a key is. Is this really a huge issue for anyone who can touch-type reliably?

For myself I've bought a couple things. I got a golf/polo shirt with the infinity symbol on the breast and the big green blanket with a 42 which is astoundingly warm. Maybe a little itchy but really really warm. If I'd seen it before I bought a similar Timberland hat I would've bought the 1-Up Mushroom wool cap.

As for non-apparel we bought the SO's dad the Swiss Army USB drive and he loves it. I also got him the ethernet loopback and crossover adapters which he uses all the time as poeple are always asking him to fix their home networks.

I need to look at the keys for the symbols over the numbers because I can never keep any of them straight other than ! for some reason.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: dvorak
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2006, 05:23:23 am »

I got so confused the other day when I realized that the ! is over the 1. I'm not sure where I thought it was instead, but I didn't think I knew any of the ones over the numbers. Hmm.

Yeah, I mean, I don't really look at the keys... I dont' see how that would make you much faster.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: dvorak
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2006, 06:47:32 pm »

I type faster when I'm not looking at the keyboard or the screen, so that I can't see the mistakes I'm making.  I also make fewer mistakes this way.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: dvorak
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2006, 07:24:21 pm »

OK, everyone go play this game.
http://www.2addicted.com/domains/words

I can usually get up around 2000.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: dvorak
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2006, 07:55:01 pm »

When if comes to odd words I suck at typing. My fingers work in their own little way so words that I don't ever type are a bit slower and messier. That is a fun game though.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: dvorak
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2006, 08:07:35 pm »

2580, 5th place at this moment.  Yay me.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2006, 08:23:36 pm »

That rocks, Carlos. 

I got 44th place.  One problem I have is that when the words start moving fast I have trouble seeing them.  The letters get hard to visually distinguish.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: dvorak
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2006, 08:41:59 pm »

I'm excited to know a celebrity! Are you going to go for the WIN Carlos? Because I have money on you within the 2addicted underground online black bookie.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: dvorak
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2006, 09:46:18 pm »

August, I had that problem too.  The physical "what the hell is that blured word?" was way harder than trying to type fast.

Also, I find that words I do not know how to spell properly are much slower for me to type than words where I know how to spell the whole word quickly.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2006, 12:54:18 am »

22d
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: dvorak
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2006, 01:15:40 am »

man, I was bad at that. I make a lot of errors typing. Hm. Mostly that I'd skip letters, and keep going because of my raw speed.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: dvorak
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2006, 05:14:00 pm »

I've always been baffled by the crap on ThinkGeek. Do people really buy it? Like, seriously? I'll confess that I was tempted to buy my weird RenFesty friend the pocketwatch with a little Stonehenge replica inside once, but damn, seriously?

Dammit, I so want a genuine 1up Mushroom. I demand somebody get to genetically engineering these immediately.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up