Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Serializer Strips  (Read 2096 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

umbra_moses

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
The Serializer Strips
« on: March 26, 2006, 08:19:22 pm »

Hello Achewood message board posters.  I am a fan of Achewood but I do not have a Serializer account, and Serializer has not been allowing people to make accounts for a very long time.  I was just wondering if there are any other places to access the Achewood stuff from the Serializer site.  I have tried the Google internet search engine (non-case sensitive version) but I have found nothing. 

If this post is at all requesting things of an unlawful nature, than please just ignore it.  I'm just not sure if the stuff has been released to the public for free yet, in response to Serializer being in a pretty bad way these days. 

Thank you for your time Achewood message board posters.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Serializer Strips
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 08:53:40 pm »

shadow_moses-- I have no idea if this is illegal or not, or if they're released to the public. But I, too, am interested in seeing the serializer stuff.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Serializer Strips
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 09:01:45 pm »

Every month I get an email saying I've paid them their subscription fee, and I think, dang I need to remember to go cancel that, and I never do.  And right now all I get from the site is a timeout error.  You say they weren't taking new subscriptions deliberately, or the site wasn't working, or what?  I'm curious now.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

umbra_moses

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: The Serializer Strips
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 09:24:22 pm »

This is what it says on the log-in screen of the site.

Quote
Note: while we recover from our recent server crash, we will not be taking new subscribers -- we're still rebuilding our database. If your account was created after January 28, 2005, you will be getting an email with your new password once we have re-entered you into the database (we're having to do this by hand, one at a time). All other existing subscribers should be able to log in with no problems.


From what I understand, they have been in this fickle state for a very long time though, making it impossible to access the Achewood Sunday Edition unless you already have an account.

So yeah, they straight up are just not letting new people subscribe.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Serializer Strips
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 10:47:03 pm »

Some of the Serializer stuff is in the books.  Does anyone know if it's all of it?  I can't compare, even if I were obsessed enough to do so, because I'm still getting nothing but timeout errors for the site, at home now too.

If it's not all in the books I think you should email Onstad and ask if he has any ideas about how to give people access to the material.  I'd be willing to share my account (if it still works) but only if he says it's OK, since we have established elsewhere that I am hypersensitive about this sort of thing.  But, I've been paying for many months now and not getting any new content so somebody oughta get something out of it, maybe?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: The Serializer Strips
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 10:54:03 pm »

What is serializer?  It looks like it just a way to access a bunch of webcomics in one place, so why is there a subscription?
Logged
~

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Serializer Strips
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 10:59:18 pm »

I cancelled my Serializer account last month. The site had been down entirely for a about a year. Last I was there nobody could get in at all. Very little of the Serializer content made it into the books, just a couple of strips and none of the Nate Small story (which I never even bothered to read).
Logged

umbra_moses

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: The Serializer Strips
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 11:39:48 pm »

I just e-mailed him and asked him if there is any way to access any of that stuff.  I guess now we'll just have to wait and see.  I'll post his response whenever it comes, but if anyone else has any developements keep us updated.
Logged

umbra_moses

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: The Serializer Strips
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 01:09:42 am »

Ok guys, I just got a response back from him.  Here's what he said

Quote
Hi Eddie,

 

I’ll be putting the old Serializer archives on webcomicsnation.com sometime this spring. It’s incredibly time consuming, which is why I haven’t moved them yet. I would prefer that people who want to see the content wait until I make it available again, since it is meant to generate funds which help make Achewood possible. 

 

There will be a prominent announcement on Achewood.com when the content is available again.

 

Thanks for reading,

/C

 

PS: I would guess that about 1/10th of it is available in the books, maybe less.


So I guess we'll just have to wait till he puts the stuff on web comics nation.  Cool.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Serializer Strips
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 02:06:14 am »

THANK YOU Mr or Ms Moses, I now have finally cancelled my Serializer subscription.  I hope that Onstad was at least still getting a few pennies of all that money I wasted.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The Serializer Strips
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 02:30:08 am »

Extremely awesome. I'm glad to hear there's a way I'll be able to acquire this legitimately.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up