Seriously. Until you see it running game code on the actual hardware (which NOBODY has), do not believe anything.
Yeah, I know, but dang, between those demo videos and those thousands of ducks, I imagine that the PS3 will likely be a MONSTER gaming system.
The Xbox 360 is, as I've said, about comparable to a high-end PC right now, and not quite as good as a REALLY high end PC with dual SLI-nVidia cards, etc.
In a year or so, the PC will far surpass the 360. It's hardly worth buying one, when you consider that with a decent PC you can do so much more than play games.
I'm not really much of a gamer (I keep saying, while I keep trying new and more varied games) but with this new video card (a mid-level ATi x800 XL from PowerColor) I get amazing performance. I'm re-playing Half-Life 2 with all of the settings cranked up - 6xAA, 16x Antroscopic filtering, Reflect All, HDR, etc. It's gorgeous.
F.E.A.R. doesn't love this particular card, but I still get over 50 FPS with soft shadows turned off and some of the lighting turned down (quality-wise) a little, and I only paid about $150 for the video card. Pop in two nVidia cards and I'm sure I could make any game today cry.
That Killzone 2 demo that blew you away? Not game footage, not even pretending to be game footage.
It was still fuck*ng amazing, though.
Game models do not have animated eyes, they don't tap each other on the shoulder and point, and they aren't smart enough to use recently-blasted holes as cover.
Well, not YET they're not. But just give it a little time.
While you may not be able to get all the flash and glitz on a PC (no antialiasing, etc)
I get all sorts of flash and glitz on my new PC, and this video card is almost a year old and wasn't top of the line when it came out (it's a really good bang-for-your-buck card, though, and it plays most of the games I want to play very very well).
HDR and full-screen anti-aliasing seem to work really well with this card. Get a higher-end card and you can do even better with a PC.
you'll still be able to play it, and you'll be able to use the mods, cheats, and hacks that make TES games worth loading up a year or two after release. On a 360 it would be dead.
Mods and hacks are what keep me playing stuff on a PC rather than buying a standalone console. And with these new physics cards that will be coming out soon, eventually you'll be able to upgrade your PC by installing a console card into it. Get console performance on your PC with just the addition of a new video card (which will handle more than video, of course). They'll probably call them "gaming cards" or else come up with some pretentious name for them.
Right now I'm hell of looking forward to the new Half-Life 2 expansion pack. I've been playing some user-created mods, but new content right from the source (pun intended) is rocking my cock.