Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Daylight Saving Times  (Read 31146 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Daylight Savings Time
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2006, 01:02:43 am »

Cort, I never turn my phone off.

But hang on - I'll turn it off and turn it back on again.  Huh.  I'd forgotten how fancy my "Hellomoto" startup screen was.  They really give you a nice show now when you turn on your phone and wait the four minutes it takes to get set up.

Okay, yeah, turning it off and then back on again set the clock properly.  I'll have to see how long it lasts this time.  It changed earlier, and then it changed back again when I got home.  Maybe the towers are individual time servers and some of them are out of sync?

I don't know.  This whole thing infuriates me.


CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings Time
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2006, 01:13:55 am »

Cort, I never turn my phone off.

But hang on - I'll turn it off and turn it back on again.  Huh.  I'd forgotten how fancy my "Hellomoto" startup screen was.  They really give you a nice show now when you turn on your phone and wait the four minutes it takes to get set up.

Okay, yeah, turning it off and then back on again set the clock properly.  I'll have to see how long it lasts this time.  It changed earlier, and then it changed back again when I got home.  Maybe the towers are individual time servers and some of them are out of sync?

I don't know.  This whole thing infuriates me.

That alone could be the problem. The SO never turns her phone off either and had it start to act up a while back. Apparently these fancy new cell phones need to be rebooted now and then what with their WAP and bluetooth and complete lack of fuck*ng analog support because phone companies hate us and want us to suffer.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daylight Savings Time
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2006, 01:30:12 am »

paul-- I wasn't suggesting that the term had been invented by my classmates. I was only commenting that it was funny to hear it used.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings Time
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2006, 03:40:22 am »

I love this board.

Where else could you have a discussion about cell phones intertwined with a chat about the origins and usage of "bumfuck" tangled up with a scholarly debate about cellular evidence for evolution.  All in a thread titled "Dayling Savings Time".

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings Time
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2006, 01:42:31 pm »

I love this board.

Where else could you have a discussion about cell phones intertwined with a chat about the origins and usage of "bumfuck" tangled up with a scholarly debate about cellular evidence for evolution.  All in a thread titled "Dayling Savings Time".

I've been tempted a few times to change the thread title to Daylight Saving Time but I've decided not to let my pet peeves get the better of me. Because I'm sure my inability to spell or use punctuation properly is just driving other people nuts (Hobot, I'm looking in your general direction)
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2006, 05:30:16 pm »

Ack.

It's still referred to as "Daylight Savings Time" in this area of the country - I keep forgetting (every year) that it's really Daylight Saving Time.  I have fixed this error, with great humility.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2006, 05:57:33 pm »

Well yeah, but in your area don't they say crazy stuff like "The lawn needs mowed"? Or is that just my crazy PA relatives?
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2006, 06:00:42 pm »

Mite, that's just those idiots in Pittsburgh.  It's that extra "h" at the end (the one that people from Pittsburgh ALWAYS tell people about, always assuming that no one knows how to spell their stupid city's name).  It makes them crazy.

They also say "yunz" meaning "all of you."  And yeah, the porch needs fixed is just a syntactical anomaly that makes me think it would be a good idea to raze everything west of Harrisburg (no h) and make a new city called "Philly West" or something.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2006, 06:08:13 pm »

I've spent a lot of time working in Pittsburg Texas and I was constantly having to tell people "there's no h on the end."

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2006, 06:15:43 pm »

Mite, that's just those idiots in Pittsburgh.  It's that extra "h" at the end (the one that people from Pittsburgh ALWAYS tell people about, always assuming that no one knows how to spell their stupid city's name).  It makes them crazy.

They also say "yunz" meaning "all of you."  And yeah, the porch needs fixed is just a syntactical anomaly that makes me think it would be a good idea to raze everything west of Harrisburg (no h) and make a new city called "Philly West" or something.


I've always heard it more like yins. Where I was from we tended to use "yins" in a more mocking way yet saw no problem at all with the phrase "you guys's" ('yü 'gIz-ez). But yes, the lawn needs mowed, the sweeper needs run, and you'd better red the table.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Daylight Savings Time
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2006, 06:36:56 pm »

In fact, we used to call something in the middle of nowhere either 'East Bumfuck" or "Bumfuckin' Egypt"

We would often use simply "BFE."

My phone turns itself off, frequently. It's really fuckin' annoying.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Daylight Savings Time
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2006, 07:36:06 pm »

I've been tempted a few times to change the thread title to Daylight Saving Time but I've decided not to let my pet peeves get the better of me. Because I'm sure my inability to spell or use punctuation properly is just driving other people nuts (Hobot, I'm looking in your general direction)

You're considerate enough to correct your errors and acknowledge my unhealthy fixation on proper spelling and grammar, though.  You are faultless because you care.

I might as well take this opportunity to remind members, both new and old, that there is, in fact, a "spell check" feature for your posts.  Please, spare me my teeth-gnashing and clothes-rending, and USE IT.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2006, 07:40:13 pm »

The word "Savings" was spelled correctly, though, so spell check wouldn't help in this case.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2006, 07:50:37 pm »

The word "Savings" was spelled correctly, though, so spell check wouldn't help in this case.

Oh, I know; I was referring to posts in general.  You're also basically out of luck if you are grammatically or syntactically incompetent; however, this is not much of a problem at TOUAMB (which is why I love "y'all" so much).
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2006, 08:04:26 pm »

I think this is a misleading statement. If all of the currently available scientific evidence is analyzed closely, the support for evolution is vastly greater. Most of this evidence is not presented to the general public very well, or understood when it is, so I can see why many people can think that they are equally valid 'theories'. Further, it's the same tired abuse of the term 'theory', which in scientific terms means a well-substantiated explanation that is held to be true by most/ all people in the field. The minor uncertainty in the term is a concession to the finity of our observations, as it's always possible that the future will yield some new observations that force us to re-evaluate our current theories. In these terms, ID is a hypothesis at best, and a poor one as it is not readily testable. It's true that we cannot ever 'prove' that the current diversity of life is due to descent with modification from one or a few common ancestors. However, that's in the same way that you can't prove that a cat with a guilty expression, in a locked, windowless room with only a goldgiraffe bowl (now sans goldgiraffe) was responsible for goldie's disappearance. You may find out later that your neighbour was testing his new teleportation device, but that certainly wouldn't be the first thing you'd think of.

I have similarly strong feelings in the department of faith, wonder, and miracles, but this isn't the place to get into that.


Irreducible complexity. That's what stops me from getting my head around the proof of evolution. I don't think I've said I think it's wrong, just that there doesn't seem to be sufficient proof for me to accept it as the ultimate explanation. And even if there was, well, tracking the question back and back and back you can't explain away the origin of space or matter other than saying it eternally is and then you still have a metaphysical question on your hands. Eventually, faith is required. For me and my life, now is as good a time as any.

And I feel sorry for you if you are anti-wonder. Wonder is a pretty powerful precursor to dreams and imagination. And faith - well, we discussed this on the board before - I don't think anyone is without faith of some kind, and what kind of relationships can you have with anyone (or yourself) without it? We all need to believe in something bigger than ourselves, that we can't see, touch, smell or taste but we know it's there. Otherwise there would be no reason to strive for anything beyond what we know and have.

As for miracles - it depends on how you define the term. I feel like I'm surrounded by them, and I try to celebrate them. Because even though my life is not even close to perfect, it's a gift and a miracle in and of itself. And it gets better every day. (maybe living in Hawaii helps)

I don't know you  so I can't really guess if you're unhappy or a generally tense person or a strong rationalist - but if you aren't inclined already, take some to experience faith, wonder and miracles. They can all lead to experiencing joy.

Joy is good.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up