Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Daylight Saving Times  (Read 31134 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2006, 08:11:12 pm »

Being a rationalist is no obstacle to experiencing joy.

But people, come on, do you really give a fuck if people say Daylight Savings instead of Daylight Saving?  Even nitpicking pedants need to pick their battles.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2006, 08:14:53 pm »

But people, come on, do you really give a fuck if people say Daylight Savings instead of Daylight Saving?  Even nitpicking pedants need to pick their battles.

Choose their battles.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2006, 08:15:11 pm »

Didn't say it does.  But a strong rationist could have issues with wonder (due to explaining or seeking explanations for everything), faith (needing reasons to believe or trust) and miracles (again with the explanation).

These things have led me to joy but are happily not the only way to get there.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2006, 08:41:46 pm »

Thanks for the clarification, Jough. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go to the store where I will get a buggy and load it up with pop.

God I love American regionalism.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2006, 09:01:56 pm »

Choose their battles.

Pick their noses.

Why can't a beautiful explanation be a source of joy?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2006, 09:13:51 pm »

Thanks for the clarification, Jough. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go to the store where I will get a buggy and load it up with pop.

God I love American regionalism.

Up here in the PNW we don't seem to have many quirks like that.  Though our ladies may speak with "Creaky Voice" and you might find a "Can Foods" aisle at the QFC.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2006, 09:41:10 pm »

I really don't get the "can foods" or "process cheese" or "toss salad", all of which I see a lot. I mean, fine, take your greengrocer's apostrophe. I'll get over that someday. Just remember tenses, please?
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2006, 09:45:46 pm »

I really don't get the "can foods" or "process cheese" or "toss salad", all of which I see a lot. I mean, fine, take your greengrocer's apostrophe. I'll get over that someday. Just remember tenses, please?

Well to toss salad is...


Oh you meant.


Uh, nevermind.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2006, 09:47:13 pm »

Well to toss salad is...

Finally we're getting somewhere.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2006, 09:47:20 pm »

I really don't get the "can foods" or "process cheese" or "toss salad", all of which I see a lot. I mean, fine, take your greengrocer's apostrophe. I'll get over that someday. Just remember tenses, please?

Clearly we all need to take a page from Infinite Jest* and carry around little stickers that say "fewer" to correct the express lane signs at grocery stores.


*Actually  take two or three. There's plenty to choose from.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2006, 09:54:34 pm »

I really don't get the "can foods" or "process cheese" or "toss salad", all of which I see a lot. I mean, fine, take your greengrocer's apostrophe. I'll get over that someday. Just remember tenses, please?

Does 'ice cream' bother you?  Of course not.  All the people who know it used to be 'iced cream' are dead. This is a natural language change process.  Take a deep breath and forget about it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2006, 10:03:41 pm »

Does 'ice cream' bother you?  Of course not.  All the people who know it used to be 'iced cream' are dead. This is a natural language change process.  Take a deep breath and forget about it.

"I feel like such a free spirit, and I'm really enjoying this so-called 'iced cream.'"


C. Montgomery Burns is not dead!
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2006, 10:09:20 pm »

"I feel like such a free spirit, and I'm really enjoying this so-called 'iced cream.'"


C. Montgomery Burns is not dead!

Well he was. But then he was taken to a better hospital where his condition was upgraded to "alive."

Also, for lunch today I got 6 kinds of nasty on some frenched fried potatoes.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2006, 11:34:12 pm »

Why can't a beautiful explanation be a source of joy?

This is a lovely way to put it. A truly good explanation is beautiful; the human mind, for example, is a structure that gives me much more joy now that I understand it, even the paltry bit I can understand. Explanations are beautiful, and the search for explanations is beautiful.

(The other example that comes to mind is technology. I rather prefer actually understanding how my computer works to, say, declaring that my computer is unknowable or just assuming my computer runs on tiny gnomes extracted from the Earth's core; that, and it allows me secondary benefits like, say, being able to fix my computer when something goes wrong.)
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2006, 11:36:17 pm »

Does 'ice cream' bother you?  Of course not.  All the people who know it used to be 'iced cream' are dead. This is a natural language change process.  Take a deep breath and forget about it.

The world may not need academics, but academia needs you, Wombat.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up