I don't think that's true if you understand the abilities of logic and reason, and free will to be gifts of a Creator.
I guess that leaves me with a real catch 22 because the Creators gift of logic, reason and free will have led me to believe that the creator is a myth.
Believers take it on Faith that the fundamental core of the bible is true, but many (not all) believe its truth is written in the hand of men who lived in a specific time and place and their understanding of the world is different than ours. If you were to select the most important messages of the Old testament, the stories - the creation story, the ark and the animals two by two, Joseph's brothers treatment of him, Esau's betrayal of his brother, David, Solomon, and all the rest - are not the message. They carry the message. The message is about Israel's relationship with God, about God's covenant with Israel, and God's expectation from his people before he sends the Messiah to redeem the world. Whether or not it's 100% historically accurate doesn't approach the central truth of the Bible and arguing about that is missing the point.
See, this is a major part of the problem I have with God. I am expected to believe that God created everything, the Heavens, the Earth, the Moon, the Stars, Me, You and all the rest, but the only guide I have to his existence is a poorly written ancient book filled with inconsistencies, inaccuracies, and contradictions. I believe that a God capable of creating a being as complex as I should be also capable of doing a better job of delivering the knowledge of his existence to me.
To believers, the message of the Old Testament is borne out in the New; the truth is far simpler than the sum of the words. Believers say the truth boils down to John 3:16 in fulfillment of the prophetic writings of the Old Testament.
This sounds like such a cop out to me. That's just basically saying to me look, just ignore all of that stuff that don't add up, here's the only thing you need to understand. But you're ok with that because you have faith and I admire that, but I don't get it.
Now I'm going to ask you a very personal question regarding faith. It's a question that has plagued me since I was 14 years old when I first became a Christian. What does it feel like? I was told that when I asked Jesus into my heart that I would have a personal relationship with the Lord. I did that and nothing happened. Nothing changed, I was exactly the same. I was ready for the transformation, I wanted it. And I wasn't the skeptic I am today, that came much later. I was much too naive, I was raised in a religious family and I trusted my parents, I believed what I was told about God and Jesus and Heaven and Hell. But nothing happened and I can't help, but feel that this is crucial. So I am sincerely asking you to tell me what I am missing. Please.
~Paul