Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daylight Saving Times  (Read 31152 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2006, 06:30:55 pm »

God wanted all the early nerds who are responsible and get to their jobs on time to die! Bwahahahaha.

At least that's the message I got out of that email. Though I do like that nobody made you to forward that email to 15 friends or you'd go to hell. God's love sure ain't dependant on email.

I like Christianity alright, it's just some of the christians I have a problem with.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2006, 07:06:44 pm »

God wanted all the early nerds who are responsible and get to their jobs on time to die! Bwahahahaha.  At least that's the message I got out of that email.

That's exactly the message I took from it too.  Get to work on time and God will kill you.

Though I do like that nobody made you to forward that email to 15 friends or you'd go to hell. God's love sure ain't dependant on email.

No, but I did delete all of the clipart of buterflies, puppy dogs, and teddy bears that Jesus is so fond of.

I like Christianity alright, it's just some of the christians I have a problem with.

Actually, the sender of that message is a very sweet lady friend of mine.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2006, 07:37:05 pm »

I get that stuff too. I tend to believe that the real message is the intention of the sender, not the (usually unbearably sweet) message itself. The evidence of God here is that someone loves Paul and wants to remind Paul of that by sending a really silly e-mail. That's the message you really need.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2006, 09:33:18 pm »

It's very early, so I can't do this justice, but I'll point you toward the wikipedia article for the Strong Anthropic Principle. It's untestable, and therefore, not science. Sure it might be unlikely for a universe like this to evolve. But one obviously did, so let's study it. If a universe suitable for life to evolve didn't exist, life wouldn't be there to study it. It seems like a tautology, but it's subtle. I'll be available for questions after I've had coffee.

Yes, I am a (former) cosmologist. High-energy astrophysicist, actually. Well, I worked on couple of big experiments when I was an undergrad, at least. Would you believe I watched an episode of Cosmos once?

Cosmos? Wasn't Carl Sagan a professor at Cornell?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2006, 04:52:19 pm »

Dawg are you familiar with a book entitled "Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel.  It's been recommended to me and I want to know what you think of it.  Lest you think i'm trying to sucker punch you i'll tell you that i've already formed a negative opinion based on three lengthy criticisms I've found.  Apparently it's a very popular book to draw such widespread and in depth analysis.  I get the impression it's the go to book used by Christians to try to convince skeptics.  Unfortunately for me, my search for God is leading me away from rather than towards him.

~Paul

U2 Eucharist
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2006, 08:31:05 pm »

Lee Strobel has written three interesting and thought provoking books. He was the legal affairs editor for the Chicago Tribune and they read fairly easily and quickly:

The Case for a Creator
The Case for Christ
The Case for Faith

Basically he interviews experts (scientists in the first, theologians in the second) and presents the arguments of skeptics. I can't say they are quite 'objective' but they do give you a lot of really interesting things to think about in the context of the questions surrounding these issues.


Read 'em and liked them. It would be wrong not to point out to you that Lee Strobel is a conservative Christian writer now, although before his acceptance of Christianity he was an avowed and very cynical atheist. He decided to research Christianity to talk her out of it because he thought she was nuts; he wound up talking to so many intellectually and spititually sound thelogians and believers that he wound up becoming a Christian himself. He was a legal affairs writer so he wrote the 'cases' out of his research.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Saving Times
« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2006, 01:06:15 am »

man, when did it turn into daylight SAVING time...

hi-OH!
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up