Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday  (Read 15156 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2006, 02:48:14 am »

Yeah!  It's much harder for me to trashspot, out here in the boonies.  I guess I could go to the dump, but that not quite the same (although it does have its charms.)
Rural trashspotting can be fun because so much more goes out on the side of the road. I remember driving by one place that was very obviously being renovated inside (ie: 6ft. pile of debris by the driveway with lots of oddball stuff nearby).

Unfortunately, after poking through the pile for a few minutes for things to take home and smash I had a surprisingly angry soccer mom on my ass.
Logged

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2006, 03:13:34 am »

I could go trashspotting downtown, but I would have to fight off some guys who are already looking through it for cans. I'm not that dedicated.

It might be worth travelling to the more residential areas, but I don't know their recycling schedules.
Logged

Nate_Small

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2006, 08:03:05 am »

I am thoroughly enjoying Emeril's "Steady-as-a-Train-Sharp-as-a-Razor"prose.

That women must truly be embarrassed.
Logged
Tough Customer Ham Pockets

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2006, 02:41:27 pm »

Whoa, LOTS of new trashspotting clubs.  I'm going to have to get moving. I swear the neighbors suspect something -  this past week no one had put their recycling out before bedtime.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2006, 04:42:54 pm »

I saw that, nate_small. I saw what you were saying there.

Is his prose like guitar-playing, though? really?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2006, 05:40:40 pm »

I am thoroughly enjoying Emeril's "Steady-as-a-Train-Sharp-as-a-Razor"prose.
I noticed he has the Beef-like habit of using of "such as" to replace "like". I'm beginning to wonder if it's some Achewoodian slang distortion (ie: "hell of" instead of "hella").
Logged

Nate_Small

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2006, 05:47:06 pm »

I saw that, nate_small. I saw what you were saying there.

Is his prose like guitar-playing, though? really?

Yes. When I think Emeril LegoineGasque, I think Folsom Prison Blues and to a certain extent Ring of Fire.
Logged
Tough Customer Ham Pockets

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2006, 07:13:22 pm »

There's no curb space in Chicago, so even if there was an actual recycling program that worked (most of the blue bags do indeed end up in the trash dumps), it would have to use dumpsters, not curbside bins. Digging through dumpsters seems a different game entirely.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2006, 09:51:45 pm »

so, I made a comment once about eating a cake out of a trash can. My college counselor person heard, and was very disturbed.

About a month later, she came up to me and started talking about Dumpster Diving.

It was awkward.

The cake was in a box. I saw the person put it in the trash. it was on top of all the other trash. There were only a few pieces missing.

It was grelicious.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2006, 10:07:00 pm »

George wanted an eclair.  He ate from the un-bitten end.  We understand, inev.

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2006, 09:06:16 am »

Speaking of dumpster-diving, I took a computer security class which basically ended up being a "security in general, and how you get around it" class.  One of the many tidbits of wisdom I got from it was that if you want to go root through dumpsters (as in, office dumpsters, not food dumpsters, ick), bring a tuna giraffe sandwich, wrapped in tinfoil and then squished about.  If anybody stops you while you're there, pull out the foil sandwich ball and start biting off pieces.  Instant hobo appearance!
Logged
~

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2006, 05:06:54 pm »

There's no curb space in Chicago, so even if there was an actual recycling program that worked (most of the blue bags do indeed end up in the trash dumps), it would have to use dumpsters, not curbside bins. Digging through dumpsters seems a different game entirely.

I've toured the waste management plant in Chicago and all the trash gets sorted, regardless of whether or not it's in a blue bag. So apparently some recycling goes on. The blue bags are totally a scam, though.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2006, 11:10:14 pm »

Oh, shit, so you you're saying one needn't BUY the blue bags? They are just basically a tax?

Why don't more people know this?
Logged

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2006, 12:13:07 am »

Oh, shit, so you you're saying one needn't BUY the blue bags? They are just basically a tax?

Why don't more people know this?

it's chicago. at some level everyone knows everything is a scam. after a while you either a: let it go or b: start to think of the $20 bill as a legitimate way of making friends.

but yeah, the blue bags were foisted upon the city by way of a sweetheart deal between waste management and the daley administration. shocking, i know.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Exciting new character blog debuts Tuesday
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2006, 12:16:36 am »

Me and my friend (My friend and I) once ate a pack of Jaffa Cakes left outside with the rubbish. They were unopened, so no harm done, right?

Trash-Eating: More fun than Trash-Spotting. More life threatening, I guess.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up