Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)  (Read 38947 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« on: April 05, 2006, 12:37:11 am »

Dammit all to hell, I just ordered 4 Bonnie "Prince" Billy disc from Amazon.com and forgot to update my address first.  Now i've got all that great music headed to Houston and I need it here.  I need it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 12:46:54 am »

I've been aquiring back-catalog stuff from Spoon and Sleater-Kinney. And on a whim I decided to check out The Eyeliners and Sloan neither of which I'd ever heard before. I'm thinking I like.
Logged

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 12:54:19 am »

I've just rediscovered a couple Smiths albums I hadn't heard in a while, so that's good fun.


But mainly I've been listening to a lot of late 80's to mid 90's hip hop.  I'm particularly fond of Nas (hence my sig) right now.  I'm pretty much of the opinion that Illmatic is one of the best albums of all time.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 12:57:16 am »

That's why we puff lye.

Lots of Sait Etienne for me, lately.  New Calexico and BtS next week, though!  They will rule my computer, ipod and car stereo for, like, days.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 12:58:24 am »

I'm particularly fond of Nas (hence my sig) right now.  I'm pretty much of the opinion that Illmatic is one of the best albums of all time.

Wrong.  That honor is currently held by Aesop Rock's album "Float". (See also "Labor")

Though sometimes it's held by Blonde Redhead's "Misery Is a Butterfly".  Hrm.. and Pinback.

Dammit.  Today, I have been delving into my past and listening to Massive Attack.  I think the last time I heard this a stripper was using it as her music somewhere in Portland, OR.  I only went there for the cheap dinner and the coworkers mostly though (mostly.)
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 01:01:39 am »

Wrong.  That honor is currently held by Aesop Rock's album "Float". (See also "Labor")

Well I did also say "one of" the best albums of all time, there's more than room for two "one of" the best albums.  And besides, we all know the best album ever is The Soft Bulletin.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 01:46:40 am »

I've been spending an excessive amount of time lately listening to Illinois. Especially "Casimir Pulaski Day." I'm not sure whether I should be ashamed of myself or not.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 02:28:16 am »

Casimir Pulaski day is beautiful.

I gave my burned copy of that album to a friend who's going to U Chicago, so... that's my next music purchase.

after the new flaming lips cd.

right now, I am listening to: Black Flag (The First Four Years), In a Priest-Driven Ambulance, Some random ska/reggae songs that I put on a cd...

I am hell of depressed, because I listened to Nevermind for the first time in several months yesterday... and I couldn't get into it at all.
Nirvana has been my favorite band since I was probably 13. And listening to it, it just sounded... commercial. And I hate myself for thinking that.

Also, I made a playlist on iTunes of all the unplayed songs I have-- which is very very many (right now, several thousand). I have put them in order of track length, and I"m going from shortest to longest.

Right now, I'm up to 50 seconds long. But that's not really true, because there are some shorter songs that it skipped because I have them unchecked.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 03:34:34 am »

I'm mostly being disappointed with music by artists who used to be relevant.  The new Morrissey: shite.  The new Flaming Lips: blah.  The new Prince: blech.  New Strokes: too limp to stroke.  Franz Ferdinand's second album?  Assassinated.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 04:31:56 am »

Well, the last week at Virgin Megastore I bought Eric Dolphy - Out There, reissued from 1960, and Hiromi - Spiral, released this January.  Hiromi is this young Japanese girl that plays jazz piano, but her songs have sort of a progressive rock feel, very written out, odd time signatures and whatnot, she plays with a drummer and electric bass.

And the last stuff I downloaded was some Henry Mancini compilations and I have this 90% Ornette Coleman torrent going right now that will probably never get completed.

And today I played through David Gilmour's self-titled solo album from '78.

Hmm, I haven't heard that new album he just released.  Anyone?
Logged
ACHIEVE

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 04:43:12 am »

My new playlist of recently-acquired music includes the following artists: Bell Orchestre, Faunts, Function (Ensemble), Gregor Samsa, Khoiba, Margot & the Nuclear So and So's, Metal Hearts, Mugison, Saxon Shore, Swords, and Valley of the Giants.  If you enjoy ambient indie music, you may enjoy some of the aforementioned bands.  Khoiba, in particular, gets my recommendation.

Per usual, I will suggest listening to Denali, the lead singer of which has, quite possibly, the most beautiful voice in the history of the world.  Download "Gunner" and see if you don't agree.*




*If you don't agree, you can FUCK OFF.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 05:08:48 am »

Well, the last week at Virgin Megastore I bought Eric Dolphy - Out There, reissued from 1960, and Hiromi - Spiral, released this January.  Hiromi is this young Japanese girl that plays jazz piano, but her songs have sort of a progressive rock feel, very written out, odd time signatures and whatnot, she plays with a drummer and electric bass.

And the last stuff I downloaded was some Henry Mancini compilations and I have this 90% Ornette Coleman torrent going right now that will probably never get completed.

And today I played through David Gilmour's self-titled solo album from '78.

Hmm, I haven't heard that new album he just released.  Anyone?

Wow.  Virtually all of the time I read these music threads with little or no comprehension.  You kids today and your crazy hepcat music! 

But this post.  This post I can actually relate/respond to.

Eric Dolphy - Out There is a wonderful album, as I recall.  It's been a long time since I've listened to it, but I'll think you'll find it a keeper.  see also Copenhagen Concert.

Ornette Coleman.  Cannot go wrong with Ornette.  It's amazing how his music from 40 years ago still sounds fresh and alive.

I have both of the old David Gilmour solo albums on vinyl (as well as Rick Wright solo project...)  Gilmour's are good.  Again, it's been a while since I've listened to them since they're on vinyl and it's a major effort to listen to my vinyl.  Have not heard the new one.

How can you not like Mancini?  The guy is a master of the hook.

What have I been listening to?  I downloaded a bunch of Marty Robbins, which is great.  I'm probably going to expand my Procul Harem holdings tomorrow, because I haven't heard anything I don't like yet.  And because of this thread, I'll make it a point to listen to some Ornette tomorrow, and maybe some Freddy Hubbard too.  And some Jimmy Smith.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 07:22:37 am »

Yeah, yesterday was the first time I listened to Out There and from the first seconds, my brain melted out of my fuckin' head.  And Ron Carter is on cello and Dolphy also plays friggin' bass clarinet and flute.  Holy shit.

I liked the Rich Wright solo, but there were things about it I did not like as well.

I have downloaded the Nick Mason solo album but I'm saving that one.  Perhaps this is going to lead to dissapointment.  No, I shouldn't say that, I have faith in Nick Mason.

There are still about three Floyd albums that I have kept myself hearing to be discovered later.



Tomorrow, I still have the first half of Miles' Big Fun in the car, gotta let that one finish.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 01:13:20 pm »

Virgin is doing some hella crazy price cuts these days on the oldies, so I've been getting loads of musical goodness on a farmboy's wages. I bought Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division, and if there was ever an album that would make we want to dress in black it's certainly that one. On the other hand, i've discovered the Pogues have so much more to them than 'the Best Christmas Song Ever.'

Hunky Dory era David Bowie is also pretty awesome, as is Iggy Pop. And then of course there's the greatness of punk. Gotta love those Buzzcocks. And Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds are surprisingly good. And of course there's the eternal goodness of Talking Heads. And second wave Ska.

Am I supposed to be talking about recent releases here? Belle and Sebastian's new album is pretty good, in a T-Rex kind of way.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 01:40:58 pm »

Am I supposed to be talking about recent releases here?

Not necessarily.  The (New for 2006) is referring to new thread for talking about music.  Talking about older music is encouraged.

Can no one feel my pain that 4 Bonnie "Prince" Billy albums are mouldering in a mailbox 1500 miles from me.  Horror!!!

~Paul


Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up