Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)  (Read 38900 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 02:35:23 pm »

Hmm, I haven't heard that new album he just released.  Anyone?

I like it.  It sounds rather Division Bell like, and I don't think that's a terrible thing. 

I've only listened to the new Flaming Lips once, and there were a few songs I enjoyed ("The Sound of Failure", particularly), but it hasn't grabbed me yet. 

I still find myself listening to Air's Moon Safari on a daily basis.  It's perfect work music.  I'm just now getting around to listening to Beck's Guero, and I'm enjoying it too. 
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 02:58:01 pm »

I'm particularly fond of Nas (hence my sig) right now.  I'm pretty much of the opinion that Illmatic is one of the best albums of all time.

If my i-pod is to be believed, Superwolf is the best by a long shot.  It's really cool to know how many times you've listened to a particular song. 

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 03:00:58 pm »

Heavy rotation:
Neko Case "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood"
New Pornographers "Twin Cinema"
American Analog Set "Set Free"
Josh Rouse "Nashville"
Pernice Brothers "Yours Mine & Ours"
Spoon "Gimme Fiction"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 03:18:30 pm »

Right now I'm listening to some of the stuff off of the upcoming Gnarls Barkley album.

I've also been listening to the last two Frank Black albums (One More Hit For the Show, and Snake Oil).  Before that I picked up Minus 5's Gun Album.   

I'm kind of musically retarded I guess.  Short of Judy's post and Mancini, I don't know much about what you folks are listening to.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 03:23:02 pm »

Heavy rotation:
Neko Case "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood"
New Pornographers "Twin Cinema"
American Analog Set "Set Free"
Josh Rouse "Nashville"
Pernice Brothers "Yours Mine & Ours"
Spoon "Gimme Fiction"

On this list I only have the Neko Case (Thank You Jorge) and it's headed up the chart fast.  I've got one Pernice Brothers song (Crestfallen) that I got off a comp.  I love that song.  I really need to get into this band.  Based on the company it's keeping I'm thinking I need to get into every band on this list.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 03:51:53 pm »

I bought the Neko Case over break but haven't listened to it yet. Perhaps tonight this should change... on the other hand, I also have two old CDs I bought used on the logic that nostalgia for music I listened to in middle school + super-cheapness = win.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 03:58:45 pm »

On this list I only have the Neko Case (Thank You Jorge) and it's headed up the chart fast.  I've got one Pernice Brothers song (Crestfallen) that I got off a comp.  I love that song.  I really need to get into this band.  Based on the company it's keeping I'm thinking I need to get into every band on this list.

IMO Gimme Fiction is Spoon's best album. I'm sure somebody will tell me I'm crazy (looking at Q) but I think I like every song on there.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 04:17:14 pm »

I've had two Spoon albums sitting on my iPod and I haven't listened to either of them yet.  I'll have to remember to check them out one of these days.

People keep telling me to listen to Coldplay, and I keep telling them that they sound like a less-interesting Radiohead.  But do they listen?  No.

Neko Case (I used to have a Neko Case for my Strat but I sold it) was on one of the late-night talk shows last week.  She was pretty good.  I don't get people who think she's hot, though, what with the big schnozz and manly jaw.  On the other hand, she does have the prettiest little adam's apple I've ever seen on a girl.

I really am liking David Gay's "White Ladder" album, although I got a bunch of his other stuff and don't like it nearly as much.  I felt that way about Dave Matthews' Band, too.  I liked "Under the Table and Dreaming" but everything else just feels like more of the same to me.

I actually really like The Killers.  I thought their album was pretty good.  I don't care how cheesy they are live.  The album was a regular rotation of mine last summer, and I still listen to like, three tracks from it regularly (they're in an iPod playlist).

I still think Harvey Danger's "Flagpole Sitta" is good, though, so don't mind me.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 04:27:11 pm »


Neko Case (I used to have a Neko Case for my Strat but I sold it)


No, no, a Neko Case is what you keep your Hello Kitty collection in.  (I can't stop thinking this because 'neko' is Japanese for 'cat'.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 04:28:12 pm »

I still think Harvey Danger's "Flagpole Sitta" is good, though, so don't mind me.


Man, don't let anybody mock you for that. Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone? owned. Owned owned owned!

(Seriously. I like it a lot... of course, half my CD collection is still one-hit wonders from the 1996-2000 range. I'm somewhat predictable.)
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 04:33:38 pm »

Derek and the Dominoes Live at the Fillmore.  Nobody Knows you When You're Down and Out.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2006, 04:49:42 pm »

I recently bought Gary Numan & The Tubeway Army's "Replicas" and about a dozen or so New Order songs. I also decided to see if Belle and Sebastian really are as good as everybody says they are, so I bought "Dear Catastrophe Waitress." My verdict is that "Step into my office, baby" makes me want to find a secratary to have sex with.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 05:49:07 pm »

I bought the Neko Case over break but haven't listened to it yet. Perhaps tonight this should change...

yes it should.  Now.  NOW NOW NOW!

I think "Kill the Moonlight" is better than "Gimme Fiction," but it's close.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 06:54:28 pm »

I also decided to see if Belle and Sebastian really are as good as everybody says they are, so I bought "Dear Catastrophe Waitress." My verdict is that "Step into my office, baby" makes me want to find a secratary to have sex with.

Indeed.  That one's a particularly strange album for B&S - not really representative of their oeuvre.

Yeah, I used the word "oeuvre," motherfucker.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 08:35:07 pm »

Not necessarily.  The (New for 2006) is referring to new thread for talking about music.  Talking about older music is encouraged.

Can no one feel my pain that 4 Bonnie "Prince" Billy albums are mouldering in a mailbox 1500 miles from me.  Horror!!!

~Paul

I misinterpreted this as a thread for music that one has only begun listening to as of 2006.  My bad. 

With this in mind, I have combed through my last.fm charts to bring you the following Hits from Hobot (Not Including the Artists I Mentioned Previously): Radiohead (obviously), Forget Cassettes, Denali (big surprise), Múm, Béla Fleck & the Flecktones, Broken Social Scene, Mogwai, The Album Leaf, Hammock, Iron & Wine, Stars, Carissa's Wierd, Four Tet, Sufjan Stevens, Simon & Garfunkel, Pink Floyd, The Silk Road Ensemble & Yo-Yo Ma, Boards of Canada, God Is an Astronaut, Autechre, Sneaker Pimps, M83, The Decemberists, Neutral Milk Hotel, Pinback, Chopin (classy), Ambulette (the lead singer of Denali's new band), Blonde Redhead, Portishead, and Exit Music (the new Radiohead cover album).

I didn't list particular albums because I tend to listen to everything that I have from a single artist at once.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 08:39:54 pm by Hobot »
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up