Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)  (Read 38946 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2006, 08:43:32 pm »

Exit Music (the new Radiohead cover album).

Is this one as awful s most tribute albums, or is it worse?

Speaking of Radiohead covers, though, I highly recommend Christopher O'Reilly's album of piano arrangements of Radiohead songs.  They're good "work music" too. 

Also, someone above mentioned Air's "Moon Safari" as a good work album, and that is my favourite work album of all time - I spent my last semester in college pretty much listening to that album while I wrote my papers.  Then I built version 1.0 of Plagiarist.com listening to pretty much that, U2's "All that You Can't Leave Behind", and Radiohead's "Kid A."

Oh yeah, and at Hobot's recommendation (prodding?  cajoling?) I joined last.fm.  Now YOU TOO can see what Jough is listening to all day.

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2006, 08:44:15 pm »

Even though it ain't out yet - and even though what's out may be unmixed - TV on the Radio just keeps sending me right back to Cookie Mountain and I keep enjoying the everliving hell out of it.

Also I'm shocked and amazed that there's already been two great hip-hop albums out this year so far (Ghostface Killah's giraffescale and Kool Keith's Project Polaroid). After 2004 and 2005 I started to write good hip-hop off as a passing thing.

I'm also liking this thing that's out from Citay (Piano Magic/fuck*ng Champs side project).

I think getting Sirius is spoiling my appreciation of new more popular music though. Although this week S-26 started playing this new Camera Obscura song that is really neat and keen.

As far as older stuff, I got a Robert Pollard/Mac McCaughan album a few weeks ago that's much better than the 'forkers gave it credit for being.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2006, 09:05:34 pm »

Wombat-- I always think: Cat case? Cat Power. Chan Marshall. That time I watched her sing War Pigs with the Flamings Lips! black sabbath! *on and on forever*
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2006, 09:51:39 pm »

Cat Power. Chan Marshall. That time I watched her sing War Pigs with the Flamings Lips! black sabbath! *on and on forever*

Yeah I talked about that here at one point.  That Flaming Lips show was bizarre and wonderfully awesome.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2006, 12:26:40 am »

I loved that a lot.
that was when I started really liking them.

my parents erased it off of our Tivo thing. they said "but it was so old!"
I was not happy. But... whatever. I guess they needed that space to record House or whatever (of course, I love house, so, I cannot complain.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2006, 12:32:52 am »

I recently bought Gary Numan & The Tubeway Army's "Replicas"

That's a really good album.  I think I've downloaded it several times, but still haven't purchased it.  I almost did a couple weeks ago, but I finally came face to face with Serge Gainsbourg's Cannabis, so I opted for that instead.  It was a bit expensive.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2006, 01:35:33 am »

Gnarls Barkley

I like the single, 'Crazy,' which I downloaded sometime before I decided not to download anything illegally anymore.  How is the rest of the material?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2006, 03:21:48 pm »

I've been po', so we haven't had much new music lately. But here's what I've been digging on:
Spoon's Gimme Fiction - I agree, every song is great.
Giant Panda's Fly School Reunion - Very early-90sish, funny as hell too.
KleenexGirlWonder's After Mathematics - Old, but lots of fun.

I'll cut anybody who knocks Harvey Danger. Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone is good, and King James Version is even better. Their new album is ok, but I've only listened to it once. And the band the lead singer went on to join, The Long Winters, is spectacular. Buy When I Pretend to Fall now!

But it's not like I have a huge crush on Sean Nelson or anything, especially not one that I've nurtured since about 11th grade. He's a real sweetie, and I hung out with him at a Stephen Malkmus show once!</fangirl>
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2006, 03:24:47 pm »

I like the single, 'Crazy,' which I downloaded sometime before I decided not to download anything illegally anymore.  How is the rest of the material?

It's good stuff.  What I picked up (from a torrent) seems to be stuff from the upcoming album, but not all of it.    I never had much exposure to Cee-Lo before.   I've been listening to it on repeat for a couple days, which is a pretty big statement from me.

I had to torrent it though, because I kept going to their myspace page to listen to the 4 songs that are up there.   Myspace makes me feel dirty inside.   More so than stealing music off the internet, so I made an exception.

So far, the shiners seem to be "Crazy" which is apparently getting to be like the crazy frog song in England, and "Just a Thought" which is, I think, my current favorite.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2006, 03:37:08 pm »

I like the single, 'Crazy,' which I downloaded sometime before I decided not to download anything illegally anymore.  How is the rest of the material?

I'm a big Willie Nelson fan.  Awesome songwriter.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2006, 02:43:19 am »

Yeah, but do you prefer his version over Patsy Cline's interpretation?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2006, 04:05:10 am »

Yeah, but do you prefer his version over Patsy Cline's interpretation?

At the moment Willie.  I have a rendition from a bootleg recorded at Red Rocks early last fall and it's so sublime and beautiful.  Shivers.  But the definitive version is totally Patsy.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2006, 04:25:26 am »

Not to take anything away from Willie as a songwriter, but wow, what a voice.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2006, 05:50:56 pm »

Oh yeah, and at Hobot's recommendation (prodding?  cajoling?) I joined last.fm.  Now YOU TOO can see what Jough is listening to all day.

I was totally enjoying last.fm until my computer at work got reimaged and I could no longer run winamp.  Now I listen to music mainly on an ipod and haven't had the time to get itunes to submit stats properly.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2006, 06:05:45 pm »

I was totally enjoying last.fm until my computer at work got reimaged and I could no longer run winamp.  Now I listen to music mainly on an ipod and haven't had the time to get itunes to submit stats properly.

I have to listen to my iPod at work too. This is why my "last played" graphic only changes at night.

The problem is that for Windows there are 3 iTunes plugins and they all have different quirks.

Audiopod is a Java application that you have to run after plugging in the iPod but before running iTunes as it looks at the iPod itself. This means you can't have iTunes auto-open and that you need another plugin to report actual iTunes listens.

JScrob is probably the most popular. It submits based on your Recently Played list. The main disadvantage is that a song can't appear more than once in Recently Played so if Last.fm is down repeat listens won't be reported when it comes back up.

iSproggler is a separate app that runs in the system tray. Whenever you eject your iPod it looks at your iTunes xml file. It has an option to even submit multiple plays from the iPod but this is buggy so I keep it turned off. It caches/submits songs played in iTunes normally. This is also the only one of the 3 that reports MBIDs. Unfortunately this is probably the hardest to install and setup since most people don't even know iTunes has an xml file let alone where they keep it. A couple people have had it not install or run for no discernable reason.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up