So I got the new Built to Spill record in the mail today, and I couldn't be more pleased. Obvious highlights are 'Goin' Against Your Mind' and 'Conventional Wisdom' (the two new songs featured on the band's
myspace site), but I'm excited to finally get a decent recording of long-time personal favorite 'Just a Habit,' so that may be the highlight for me. 'Wherever You Go' seems to me a decent nod to Neil Young and 'Gone' is quickly growing on me.
It's not my favorite BtS record--not even close--but I like it better than Ancient Melodies of the Future, and it's a nice addition to Doug's discography. And it's just so fuck*ng nice to get a new one after five long years. Really excited for the upcoming tour.
Neil Young's "Are You Passionate?" is in heavy rotation right now. SO cheesy and yet so earnest at the same time. I think Neil has something wrong in his head.
Clearly. I saw him on The Daily Show not too long ago, and I was biting my nails the entire time. He did OK though. And have you seen "The Last Waltz," that Scorsese concert film about The Band? His performance of 'Helpless' is gorgeous, but he has these crazy stares and facial expressions which create an unsettling stage presence. I think it somehow added to the performance.