I love early R.E.M. Also, for the Flaming Lips fans out there, especially The Soft Bulletin, you should check out the Super Furry Animals. They have recorded some songs together and are kind of similiar (Kind of). Is there someway I can like put a sample song somewhere for people to download, or something?
Brian Eno and Dylan are awesome as well. Eno produced Remain in Light by the Talking Heads if you somehow haven't heard that. I don't know, maybe you didn't know that.
If you have Strangeways, Here We Come by the Smiths just listen to the first song on the album and you'll be a fan.
See, I think "Buggin'" is just about the most perfect Flaming Lips song ever.
I really liked Dear Catastrophe Waitress and I'm kinda meh about the Life Pursuit. I really hated Fold Your Hands... and still think of Sinister and Arab Strap as a single album, since they came out like four months apart.
First of all, it is either Buggin' or The Gash, but, yeah, they are pretty much perfect songs for any bands standards. I didn't really dislike yoshimi, it is just not great, but the new one is especially boring, to me.
Piazza, New York Catcher was the only song I liked off of Dear Catastrophe, for obvious reasons. I really just quoted this part to say I mainly like Sinister, Arab Strap and Tigermilk by Belle and Sebastian, but never knew if I liked Sinister or Arab Strap better. I had no idea that they were released so close together, but that is a hell of a way to look at it.
And You are the Quarry has a couple decent songs, but more in like a kind of pretentious asshole way, not in a good song way. If that makes sense. Everytime a band/ artist takes him or herself to seriously it ends up in a shit record. Which is my main problem with the new Neil Young. It rocks, but it is like the lyrics are written by a 15 year old who thinks he fuck*ng knows everything. It kind of makes me dislike Neil Young in general, but I can't go that far. I mean the man made Deja Vu and After the Goldrush.
Edit: I kind of need to rephrase that. About Young: Take your art seriously, but don't tell the listener what to think. If you are going to anyway, don't write like an angsty teenager. It makes you seem like a person who takes himself very seriously, but not his art. Which is the complete opposite way a cool musician should be (see the Flaming Lips).
And
First of the Gang to Die off of You are the Quarry is great. Best song since the Smiths.
Jesus, I have a 12 page paper due in 12 hours, it is now midnight and I haven't started it, but I can post like 2 pages worth of crap about music. This paper is even about music, I just hate doing stuff I perceive as work.