Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)  (Read 38943 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2006, 09:04:37 pm »

Why would you want Jimi Hendrix to go away?
Yeah?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2006, 09:19:52 pm »

Hendrix go away, WTF?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2006, 09:21:12 pm »

yeah! What's your problem? Don't like Hendrix? Well do you know what I don't like? *shoves* huh wombat? huh?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2006, 09:22:53 pm »

I'll bite...

I wouldn't mind if Hendrix went far far away from me.  Where I can say "Oh yes, he was innovative.  Can I listen to something recent and pleasing now?"
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2006, 09:26:34 pm »

I'll bite...

I wouldn't mind if Hendrix went far far away from me.  Where I can say "Oh yes, he was innovative.  Can I listen to something recent and pleasing now?"

I was going to make this same point, but then I didn't want to start a conflict.  But then you went and did it for me, so yeah.  I don't really like Hendrix all that much either.  It may come from a distaste for "hippy music" in general, but his stuff is tighter and better than most hippy music.  It's probably because he's got that "musician music" vibe going, like "I want to make music that you will like only if you care a whole lot about the guitar and the things I am doing to it."  This phenomenon has been discussed recently, I believe, so I won't talk about it.  But yeah, I didn't think he was as great as all that, and the only people I've met who have been really into him have been total dicks, hippies or both. 
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2006, 10:04:38 pm »

the only people I've met who have been really into him have been total dicks, hippies or both. 

But then, I repeat myself.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2006, 07:51:19 pm »

I'm the only person on the face of the earth who likes Radio Song, aren't I?

Ah, well. Ignoreland we can agree sort of sucked, in the sense that it was still better than most other music.

No, it's a fine song.  And I love "Ignoreland."

"Early R.E.M." = stuff on IRS.  I have all of them and they are all superlative.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2006, 02:41:23 am »

I am also having a reggae revival with the help of Lee "Scratch" Perry and Linton Kwesi Johnson.

I just (in the last 2 months) picked up Bob Marley's Soul Rebels, which was produced by Perry.  It's excellent.  Also plan to pick up the Arkology compilation.  What I've heard of it is good.  I'm looking for a copy of Madlib's reggae mix too.  Reggae's good, but there's so much of it out there that's worthless.  Like any genre, I guess, but because I don't know much about it I don't really know what else to check out.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2006, 12:23:21 am »

Goodness, I am on a rockabilly/early rock kick and I have none to listen to.

what makes me sad is this: I downloaded a ton of "rockabilly," and it makes me think that the rockabilly that I imagine does not really exist.

Songs that fit:
"That's All Right (Mama)"
"Johnny B Goode" (of course)
"Stickshifts and Safety Belts" (it's actually fairly recent. it's by Cake.)
"I ain't got you" by the Yardbirds
and, I know this is more country than rockabilly, but I love the lead guitar-- Burning House of Love by X.

any suggestions?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2006, 12:33:50 am »

I just (in the last 2 months) picked up Bob Marley's Soul Rebels, which was produced by Perry.  It's excellent.  Also plan to pick up the Arkology compilation.  What I've heard of it is good.  I'm looking for a copy of Madlib's reggae mix too.  Reggae's good, but there's so much of it out there that's worthless.  Like any genre, I guess, but because I don't know much about it I don't really know what else to check out.

I've got the Arkology box set and I couldn't recommend it more.  I need to get some more, but you should really pick that up.  The cd book (it is like 30 pages) is fuck*ng awesome, too.  If you have never heard of Kwesi Johnson you should maybe think about getting one of his compilations as well.  I have a couple of his albums and a greatest hits called Independant Intavenshan: The Island Anthology that is really awesome. 


and, I know this is more country than rockabilly, but I love the lead guitar-- Burning House of Love by X.


I saw this band called the Sons and Daughters that kick ass, and my friend told me they were like X.  Thanks for reminding me.

You may want to check out something from like Joe Ely, who was like country and rockabilly depending on the time, but he toured with the Clash.  Then the obvious Buddy Holly/ Roy Orbison.  I don't really listen to rockabilly, I don't know why I am giving advice.  Elvis Costello early is kind of a throw back to that, but you probably already know about that too.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2006, 04:26:05 am »

today is Robert Johnson's birthday!

yay for him!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2006, 05:40:26 am »

I've wanted to ask this for a while now, so here goes. Are there any Misfits fans on the board? (Danzig Misfits only please)
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2006, 10:28:04 am »

For those looking for rockabilly, may I recommend Southern Culture on the Skids, BR-549, and Old Crow Medicine Show (though the latter is more bluegrass). To a lesser extent, you may also like the Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash and the Drive-By Truckers.

And yes, I do find out about a lot of very good new music from Prairie Home Companion, thank you very much. Garrison's got good taste.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2006, 11:18:27 am »

I've wanted to ask this for a while now, so here goes. Are there any Misfits fans on the board? (Danzig Misfits only please)

Original Fiend Club Member here, son.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2006, 11:23:55 am »

Mite -- are you serious?

Southern Culture on the Skids are Rockabilly?

maybe I'm remembering an incorrect band name, but I always assumed they were a shitty local band. I'm pretty sure they play around here constantly.

I will have to look this up.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up